PDA

View Full Version : ATR 72 questions

Tu154lover
9th Mar 2009, 11:09
Hello,
Can someone please tell me the fuel burn for ATR 72 the first hour? and how many steps of flaps it have, two or three?
And if an ATR 72 is on a short runway, can it use flaps 2 instead of the normal 1 for take off?
And a last question: on Airbus it is called config 1 etc (I´m not really sure) what is is called on ATR?
Thanks!
//Daniel

Robini
9th Mar 2009, 11:17
And if an ATR 72 is on a short runway, can it use flaps 2 instead of the normal 1 for take off?

If you are runway limited, then you increase flaps setting to increase lift and lower
the V-speeds. This is mandatory on short runways except situations when
you have obstacles or when airports pressure altitude is a bit high.

And a last question: on Airbus it is called config 1 etc (I´m not really sure) what is is called on ATR?

It's not really important what they call it, most important is to know how they
affect the airplanes performance. On the bus there are:
CONFIG 1+F (F1)
CONFIG 2 (F2)
CONFIG 3 (F3 highest for TKF and AC OFF)

Tu154lover
9th Mar 2009, 11:19
Thanks Robini! :ok:

saucy jack
9th Mar 2009, 11:35
For ATR72-200 series first hour fuel burn reckon on about 700 kg/hr, thereafter about 600/hr. For the 500 series add around 100kg to these figures.

The 72 has 2 stages of flap, 15 and 30 degrees, unlike the 42 which has a third guarded setting of 45 degrees for emergency use only.

The config call outs are Flaps15 and Flaps30.

I have not seen any performance calculations for a flaps 30 take-off, but that's not to say there aren't some somewhere...this would be distinctly non-standard.

SJ

Bluebird340
11th Mar 2009, 09:31
ATR 42-500 has three flaps settings 15/25/35. ATR72-500 has two settings 15/30. In our operations we only use 15 and flaps full (35 or 30 depending on type).

For normal operations, flaps 15 is the only setting used for takeoff.

NYYankees10389
29th May 2011, 21:39
The fuel burn for the ATR72-212 is roughly 600 pounds per hour per engine on takeoff, and 450 pounds per hour per engine in cruise.

The 72 has 3 settings for flaps - 0, 15, and 30 degrees (it's actually 33 degrees but called 30!)

I'm sure a 30 degree flap takeoff could be done, but I have never seen a performance chart with these numbers. The lift/drag maximum coefficient for the ATR72 is with the flaps at 15, so flaps 30 would mean a decrease in takeoff performance. In addition, an engine failure on takeoff would be significantly more difficult to handle with the added drag of flaps 30.

The ATR 72 is equipped with an ATPCS (Automatic Takeoff Power Configuration System). The Configurations are tested 2 ways:

1) Depressing the ATPCS TEST Pushbutton will test for flaps at 15 degrees, the Pitch Trim is set in the green arc for takeoff, the Travel Limiter Unit for the Rudder is set to LOW SPEED (full deflection of the rudder is allowed below 180 knots), the Aileron gust lock is OFF, the Power Management Selector is set to TAKEOFF and an automatic recall of cautions/warnings on the Crew Alerting Panel.

2) When the Power Levers are advanced past 49 degrees Power Level Angle, the ATPCS recalls the Crew Alerting Panel to verify that the Parking Brake has been disengaged.

The ATPCS will arm automatically with the Pushbutton depressed (system turned on), the Power Management Selector in the TAKEOFF position, both Power Levers above 49 degrees Power Lever Angle and both engines producing at least 46% Torque. The ATPCS activates if an engine falls below 18% torque (considered engine failure). What happens depends on where the system was armed:

On the ground - an immediate power UPTRIM (increase) on the good engine to Reserve Takeoff Power (usually 100% Torque) and after 2.15 seconds, the failed engine's propeller will feather. There is a 2.15 second delay to allow the Pilot to make an aborted takeoff with the availability of reverse thrust before the propeller is feathered and the engine is shut down.

In the air - The failed engine's propeller immediately feathers and there is no UPTRIM.

If there is a problem with the Configuration, a Level 3 Master Warning will occur with a Continuous Repetative Chime and a CONFIG illumination on the Crew Alerting Panel.

I hope this helps,
BW
ATR 72/42 Type

no-hoper
31st May 2011, 23:56
"The ATR 72 is equipped with an ATPCS (Automatic Takeoff Power Configuration System)" No !
ATPCS is the AUTOMATIC FEATHERING AND UPTRIM SYSTEM and related
to engine power and prop feathering only.
I think you are talking about the TO CONFIG WARNING system...