PDA

View Full Version : QF Flight Dispatchers

Jay Bo
9th Mar 2009, 00:06
I see QF are advertising for 6 positions as flight dispatchers.
Anyone have an insight into hours per shift.
Is the actual work interesting or does it become rather boring and do they provide an actual training course or you just use the knowledge you have gained and work through things on the job.

thanks

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2009, 05:00
I have spent some time doing work experience in this department.

When it is boring, it is very boring, you answer phone calls for pilots/cabin crew calling in sick and ring up reserves, you do data entry. You monitor.

When it is exciting, it is very exciting. Like most things in aviation when things don't go according to plan is when you earn your money, here your problem solving skills would come to the fore.

The guys and girls who I met all seemed very happy about their jobs and all had a lot of fun.

Hours per shift is I believe similar to the standard 8 hour day (give or take) but being shift work that doesn't mean you work 9-5. There is a morning, day, afternoon and night shift I believe, or something similar.

Hope this helps, someone with a bit more inside knowledge is sure to come along and give more of an insight.

clearone
9th Mar 2009, 07:18
Are these positions Brisbane based?

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2009, 08:12
No these are Sydney Based.

I appologise i misread the job title, the description I gave was for Crew Scheduling, but I would say a lot of it is still valid, sorry! :ok:

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2009, 11:14
It does, hence my mistake :ouch:

el_capitano
9th Mar 2009, 11:37
In Flight Dispatch they do a 9.5hr shift in Domestic and 10hr Shift in International Dispatch.

Domestic Roster has 0300/0400/1000/1800 starts. International Flight Dispatchers have a slightly different roster.

Pay is about $80-85k as a domestic dispatcher which includes shift penalties.

You are employed as a Domestic Dispatcher and then move onto International depending on seniority i.e who started in dispatch b4 you.

It is a good job if you are looking at a career behind a desk and are no longer looking at flying. Jumping ship from behind the desk to the other side of the counter is not as easy as u may think.

Good luck to all trying out for the job.....

mcgrath50
9th Mar 2009, 19:48
The website, seems to detail the need for a serious amount of experience. I would have thought recruiting pilots (even PPLs as they suggest is the minimum), would be slightly hard. Is it really unsuitable for an aviation outsider? No on the job training etc?

OZZI_PPL
10th Mar 2009, 02:45
Anyone have a link please?

Can't seem to find the ad.

Cheers

Gearup2
10th Mar 2009, 03:17
I think this might be the link : SEEK jobs database and employment advice (http://www.seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?Sequence=63&PageNumber=1&jobid=15063945)

Grogbog
10th Mar 2009, 07:32
Jetstar are currently looking for Dispatchers also....

You could do the same job for at least 30% less pay down in Melbourne..... And you probably have to pay a few grand for your training on the software and some ICUS on the computers:p