PDA

View Full Version : FR "no mobile phone" announcement pre-takeoff

rasobey
8th Mar 2009, 22:54
Hi all

On a recent (3 hours ago) FR flight the announcement about having electronic devices switched off until the Captain turns the seatbelt sign off came on. No surprise there. What did surprise me was the latter part of the announcement that stated "mobile phones, including Blackberrys, cannot be used in flight, even in flight mode". I don't remember hearing this the last time I travelled with them, which was Q4 2008.

So, what the heck is going on? What is my Blackberry in "flight mode" doing wrong that someone else's Playstation Portable - with WiFi turned on! - isn't?

The CC didn't seem to want to enforce it anyway as I was happily watching videos throughout the flight (observing takeoff and landing phases of course).

I found the entire thing very hypocritical after FR has stated they are trialling the use of mobile phones on board.

Cheers.

raffele
8th Mar 2009, 23:40
Airlines can permit the use of electronic devices as they wish. It's not hypocritical - 99.9% of all other flights you can't use your mobile device, although some allow the use in flight safe mode.

I'm guessing it's been introduced to try and prevent the not so bright people trying to use their phones in flight on an aircraft without the OnAir system installed.

PAXboy
9th Mar 2009, 03:01
rasobeyI found the entire thing very hypocritical after FR has stated they are trialling the use of mobile phones on board.That works in a very specific way and there are threads in here that explain how and also why some carriers ban some devices and some not. It's their aircraft and they call the tune.

Final 3 Greens
9th Mar 2009, 07:09
The CC didn't seem to want to enforce it anyway as I was happily watching videos throughout the flight

What a prat.

rasobey
9th Mar 2009, 07:15
Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at the FR mobile phone thread and see if I can pick up some info.

Books are sooo yesterday :)

Avman
9th Mar 2009, 07:20
I found the entire thing very hypocritical after FR has stated they are trialling the use of mobile phones on board.

Only available on a few selected aircraft with the appropriate equipment and not the entire fleet.

PAXboy
9th Mar 2009, 13:09
rasobey, not sure if you've read the Forum FAQ...? Mobile phones and all portable electronic items are covered.