PDA

View Full Version : Good watches for flying?

Okavango
8th Mar 2009, 19:08
My better half wants to buy me a watch as a gift. Was going to go for a TAG Link though just wondered if there are any specific manufacturers/models that are particularly good for flying? Budget is ~£1000. Thanks.

Akrapovic
8th Mar 2009, 20:08
I've never used a watch for flying other than for telling the time to make sure I'm not late! I don't really buy all this Breitling nonsense . . .
If I had a grand to blow on a watch, I'd go for something simple like an Omega - time, date, second hand . . . job done!

mad_jock
8th Mar 2009, 20:11
It depends if you want to wear it for show or something which you can actually use.

I like the citizen eco drive watches.

Personally I find the most aviation watches clutered and nearly unusable much prefer a plain analog face water resistant to 100m and a decent none metalic strap.

Might not get up to your £1000 pounds though.

I have always quite fancied a russian aviators watch with a 24hour dial.

Hot 'n' High
8th Mar 2009, 20:22
Best watch for flying? :hmm:

A nice clear sports stopwatch with elapsed timer for about a £5er from any good sports shop!!! :ok:

Mmm, guess not quite what you were after. ;)

But, you still have £995 in hand! :E

Use that for whatever takes your fancy! It matters not!!!! :ok:

Cheers, H 'n' H

R T Jones
8th Mar 2009, 21:45
Absolutely! Before I started training I bought myself a nice silver D&G watch for a few hundred pounds. Once I'd done a few flights I realised it was next to useless and got a cheapo digital one for £5! Echoing the last post, get a nice simple digital watch, its always nice to know what date it is for when your entering your flight plan as well.

bajadj
8th Mar 2009, 21:57
functional they may be, but a casio is about as aesthetically pleasing as a lurid green shell suit and a Bobby Charlton combover!

Personally i'd go for a breitling, but TAG's are nice looking things as well.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Mar 2009, 22:25
LUMINOX - 3001 DIVE SERIES ORIGINAL, they don't set off the metal detector - these days sadly the most useful aspect of a timepiece on your wrist.

I wouldn't go for a 'aviator' style large watch as its all a bit suspect image-wise whilst you go through your training. If you're not careful you'll find yourself in a pair of Ray-Ban classics toying with the leather flying jacket catalogue... Sometime it takes years to live this sort of thing down. :ugh:

PilotPieces
8th Mar 2009, 22:49
When I first started my PPL I treated myself to a really nice watch and was pleased that it could do just about everything.

The downside was it was useless at telling me the time and after setting 270 overhead, I would be half way across the Atlantic before I had gone through the process of setting the stopwatch.

Keep it simple.

Skyhigh86
8th Mar 2009, 23:12
The best watch for flying is a cheapo casio digital, not your "aviators watch"; save the later for the disco!

The bigger "aviators" ones are a nightmare for metal detectors, can catch on things, and scratch easily especially on walkarounds etc.

v6g
9th Mar 2009, 00:42
If you end up doing any float flying then the best watch is the cheapest one that also floats.

Hot 'n' High
9th Mar 2009, 08:24
Bajadj,

a casio is about as aesthetically pleasing as a lurid green shell suit

When did you come round and peek in my wardrobe?! :=

lurid green

Lets see who the SAR guys find first tho!!! H 'n' H may have the last laugh there! Who needs a Hi Vis jacket when you don the old LGSS!!! :p

Cheers, H ‘n’ H

PS End of lurid green thread creep!

G SXTY
9th Mar 2009, 08:51
I looked at 'aviator' watches a while back and decided against one as the dials are so complex that they're virtually unreadable, and - more importantly - they make you look like a bit of a tw@t.

I bought a Citizen eco-drive with a titanium bracelet instead. Simple, clear face, keeps perfect time, never needs batteries, lightweight and doesn't set off metal detectors. All for around £150.

A cheapo digital with a stopwatch would be just as good, but any half-decent aircraft will have a stopwatch anyway. Personally I'd tell the missus to save her cash for something more useful, like fast cars and beer.

Fratemate
9th Mar 2009, 09:07
Yep, I'm in the same boat as VK2TVK. I've got one of the dual analogue/digital Casio watches and it's great for the flying job. Dual time is very useful. I leave the digital bit on 'home' and then just change the hands to local time. I know it's much easier on the Breitling and Citizen 'pilot' watches but I don't think that justifies £1000. I want, and have, an alarm (it's got two but I only ever use one). I want, and have, a stopwatch for the twice yearly run and I want to be able to see what day it is, as I always remember the date but never the day.

I once sat in DXB with a Breitling Aerospace on my wrist. I'd promised myself when I got my first command I'd get one and knew exactly the design I liked. I was offered the watch at an acceptable price but, even though it's what I thought I always wanted, when I sat there and admired it's featherlight(ness) I just could not justify spending (then) £800 on a watch that looks good but really doesn't do anything more than a £50 Casio.

Buy a Casio and spend £950 on beer :)

bajadj
9th Mar 2009, 09:11
http://www.familypk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/casio-g-shock-g5500c-limited-edition.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2978223322_6a0aea1a1a.jpg

Rugbyears
9th Mar 2009, 11:00
I recently purchased the TISSOT T-Touch - at £550, not the most expensive option, although certainly a handy little gadget for the price. I have found the compass to be very acurate and easy to use in the air! (would have to go for the orange strap).

Tissot (http://www.tissot.ch/index_offer.php?c=eu&l=en)

http://www.tissot.ch/data/usersmanual/138-en.pdf

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/...6a0aea1a1a.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2978223322_6a0aea1a1a.jpg)
Tom..... you've aged mate!!!!:O

ford cortina
9th Mar 2009, 11:33
A lot of the guys at my company have Breitling's, of one kind or another....
They are a bit Naff, along with the Rayban aviators, although now I have lost my Serenegeti's, that's what I am reduced to!!

Its a personal choice, I use a Omega Seamaster, titanium so it does not set off the detectors. A friend has a bi-metal Submariner (Rolex, to those that don't know), now that's nice....

Personally I like a large uncluttered face simple and does the job, telling the time.
If I had the money I would get a Bi-metal Rolex GMT Master II, but then my fiancee would kill me.
Enjoy

Mach086
9th Mar 2009, 11:55
I'm really going to sound ignorant now but when I first saw the post, I thought it was a wind up. A bit like posting a thread like "What pen is best for flying" and expecting to get silly replies like a "BIC weighs less compared to a Mont Blanc". haha.

Anyway, it seems that this is a serious thread! Am I missing the trick here. Is there a specific criteria of watches that make for good flying other than telling the time?

ford cortina
9th Mar 2009, 12:00
Not really, no...
The Clock on my current aircraft type uses GPS and we use that one for all our timings.
Its accurate enough and its a Boeing

BelArgUSA
9th Mar 2009, 14:54
Even though the proud owner (and wearing) a classic Breitling Navitimer/Cosmonaute (24 hrs dial) with aviation slide rule, which is always kept on UTC - I still miss my "Seiko Worldtimer" digital that I bought around 1980 for some US$120... I lost it. And the model was discontinued, although I understand some stores still had a few for sale in some drawers, nearly forgotten by the salesman. But I did not get back to HKG or SIN since long.
xxx
If you still can locate a "Seiko Worldtimer", jump on it. You probably will not pay much for it, anyway. Besides local time for many world locations, it was the ideal "pilot watch", just the local time for Gander, and some Indian areas were missing. Seiko is reputable, it kept accuracy within a few seconds monthly.
xxx
One type of watch not to buy are some "cheap" digital, maybe for some US$20... I once bought one, and was horrified that it only showed AM/PM, was impossible to program it for 24 Hrs display. Inconvenient for pilots.
xxx
Another type of watch discontinued by Seiko (and Citizen) are the watches with analog display and small digital display at bottom of dial. I recall that flight attendants loved these (some were ladies' size) so to keep "home time" on the analog dial, and UTC on digital display.
xxx
Buy a Mickey Mouse watch, his left hand shows hours, and the right hand shows minutes.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 15:07
Its weird I used to be of the any watch will do camp and definitely went for the big stop watch during training.

Now 6 years down the line I have a few things I know I want out of a watch. A couple of things which are handy with my current work watch and some things I definitely don't want.

My current work watch (http://www.mywatchshop.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=95&P_ID=422) is eco drive citizen world time with a zulu arm.

1. Its light weight *
2. Its doesn't set off metal detectors *
3. Its got a leather strap *
4. It never needs batteries (my diving eco drive is still going strong after 15 years) +
5. It can go in the shower if I forget to take it off *
6. Its accruate I reset it once a month off the GPS. *
7. It reads well with minimal cockpit lighting *
8. Its dead easy to set local time but still have zulu at a glance. +
9. Its got the date on it. *
10. Uncluttered and analogue. *
11. It cost 100 quid which isn't the end of the world if it gets nicked. *
12. Its rugged ie if it gets knocked off the aircraft door it won't break. *

* is must have for me + is nice to have

A fancy watch seems to be a common gift to wannabie pilots, most of them look the part but don't really hit the mark for me in the day to day useful bit of kit league.

skeletor
9th Mar 2009, 15:09
IWC Pilot''s Double Chronograph "Top Gun" Watch, Ceramic, Strap, Limited Edition - The Finest Watches (http://www.thefinestwatches.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productId/5551/catId/76/IWC_Pilot''s_Double_Chronograph)_

I love google........you can find any old cr*p in seconds. Who buys this stuff?

Mach086
9th Mar 2009, 15:22
The pilots at the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School are the best in their class. Only they can aspire to the ranking of TOP GUN, which is now also featured on the side and back of a watch from IWC: the TOP GUN Pilot's Watch Double Chronograph.

:ok::D

corsair
9th Mar 2009, 15:23
Of course there is no such thing as a good watch for flying or a 'pilot's' watch. There are fancy watches of course but they are as much jewellery as timepieces.

I'd like a Rolex maybe or some designer watch. I don't fancy the Breitling's much. Far too flashy and Walter Mittyish. Gadgets on watches are simply gimmicks. My current Pulsar, bought by my wife does the job nicely. I'd never have bought it though, usually preferring plain black Swatchs.

Some people get carried away with the whole pilot image thing, even pilots. They have the leather flying jacket and the special sunglasses and of course the watch. My 'flying' jacket, I bought in Aldi or Lidl. It's a blue workmans type jacket reversible it becomes high viz for the ramp. It even has detachable sleeves for summer days and it cost me all of €30. Add a cheap watch and you're ready to go.

skyhighbird
9th Mar 2009, 15:38
You have to admit that metallic 'mirrored-effect' aviators do look the business!

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 15:50
Would this be the chap Bel?

SEIKO WORLD TIMER LCD REF*** SE07199 (http://www.retro-watches.co.uk/watches/11-07/SEIKO-WORLD-TIMER-LCD-REFSE07199.htm)

No the mirrored aviators make you look like a cock.

Must admit I do have a pair of none mirrored aviators but they stay in my flight bag and never used away from work. The reason why I have them is because 1 they are legal alot of shades are polarised these days, the arms don't break the seal on your ANR headset, they give very good coverage to stop light getting around the side of them.

tigermagicjohn
9th Mar 2009, 15:55
If anyone are looking for good quality watches, PM me, I have some selection of different watches that might be of intrest. Personally I have tried the Suunto, a Casio, I think 1500 eco, but my favorite is still the Breitling B1. I have both B1 and B2, but not selling these, as they have gone out of production.
I also managed to get hold of a Breitling Red Arrows, another watch which I will not be selling anytime soon.

However anyone interested feel free to PM me, as I might be able to help you out if you want a watch, for flying or just for fun. But mostly brand name watches, Tag, Omega, Breitling, etc/.

Personally when I fly I prefer to have a digital time read out, to get the exact timing, thats why I like the B1, altough the read out is a bit small. Not had much time yet with the Casio or Suunto, but with compass, barometer and altimeter, is also interesting to have as back up just in case I need to watch instrument flying. The Suunto also shows vertical speed. I think the one I got was the observer, need to check to be sure.

skyhighbird
9th Mar 2009, 16:17
mad jock,

whats wrong with the mirrored effect? :p

http://fashion.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/uploads/4/Cheryl-Cole.jpg

Out of interest has anyone got perscription aviators. Contrary to Mad Jock, I like the mirrored effect and want them to be prescription glasses. Sunglasses shop do them (just send in your prescription) and I was wondering whether anyone has done this.

MMEMatty
9th Mar 2009, 16:39
BelArgUSA;

I have a mickey mouse watch, I fly all over europe, and it has not let me down yet!

Matty

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 16:39
There are quite a few blokes I have worked with have had them and haven't heard any moaning about them so they must be pretty good or worth the extra 40 quid or what ever it is.

The mirrored ones are a pain in the arse in a dual crew cockpit because they flash light around and the other pilot gets flashes out the corner of their eye. Apart from which you can see how stupid you look with your aviators on.

skyhighbird
9th Mar 2009, 16:47
If I looked half as good as Chery Cole does, I'm sure you wouldn't mind!

haha;)

Are you more concerned by the reflections as you pointed out or the fact that they make you look like a poser?

(sorry - end of day winding up post!)

MME Matty,

I heard Mickey Mouse wears an MMEMatty watch :)

sapperkenno
9th Mar 2009, 16:56
If all the money's for a watch, go with that. It's a great watch, looks the part (not too flash, but stands out) and people who know watches will assume you have some class if they see you with one of those on your wrist.

If not, get a cheap(ish) Casio and get the bint to buy you a Bose X headset with the remainder of the wonga instead...

I've seen a lot of the GA fraternity wearing those "Torgeon(?!)" things, and they seem quite popular.

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 17:00
Reflections and I am not taking it as a wind up post its these daft little things that can cause problems and waste hard earned cash.

If you flying domestic your usually flying north south so one side of the cockpit gets the sun and the other doesn't. So one side wear them the other doesn't you get flashes coming from the the sunny side. And also you get twin beams on the instruments where the other person is looking. Apparently its even worse if the other pilot wears glasses because they cop the reflection off the inside of thier glasses.

PS to add I must admit I did do the swap, watch for ANR headset when the first job present topic came up with my family. Half the price of what they were planning to buy me but its been used every working day of my life since.

diver69
9th Mar 2009, 17:10
I have collected watches for years (sad, but its my thing!), I own Omega, Tag-Heur, Tissot, Seiko etc. What do I wear flying as a professional airline pilot?? A Casio G- Shock digital. I swear by them. Here is why:

1. Wave Ceptor auto updates correct time from LW radio signal so always 100% accurate.
2. Solar Powered so no need to worry about battery
3. Auto illuminates when I tilt it 45 degrees to look at, great at night on the flightdeck when lights are dimmed.
4. Does not set off metal detectors.
5. G-Shock technology, so will take any punishment - even my landings!
6. Resin strap, but metal case, so looks smart enough to wear to work
7. 200m water resistant (in case I ever have to do a 'Sully'!)
8. Time easy to read in BIG numerals, along with day, date and month
9. 30 time zones
10. Alarm and stop watch
11. Less than 100 quid in Argos

Save the flashy watches for the bar:ok:

(Edit - I forgot to mention the 'Time Memo' function: this is basically a button that you press to record a set event/time. PERFECT for recording Take Off/Landing times, and it stores up to 30, so can even cope with 6 sector days.....shudder!)

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 17:12
Have you got a link to the model?

diver69
9th Mar 2009, 17:19
Buy Casio G-Shock Wave Ceptor Solar LCD Gents Watch. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2545927/Trail/searchtext%3EG+SHOCK.htm)

If the link does not work it's in the Argos online cat (www.argos.co.uk (http://www.argos.co.uk)), do a search on 'G Shock Watches', product number 254/5927.

I should be getting commission for this........:}

bajadj
9th Mar 2009, 18:34
that is undoubtedly the ugliest watch i have ever seen!!

so the concensus is, one watch for the cockpit and one for outside of the cockpit!

casio for function and something else for flair... unless you spend your spare time playing flightsim or world of warcraft that is.

Lew747
9th Mar 2009, 19:49
Amen Brother!

I cannot recommend Casio enough, bullet-proof watches. They might look fat and ugly but they do the job, and very well. Kanye West wears them I believe :}

:ok:

preduk
9th Mar 2009, 19:57
I've got a citizen eco drive watch that cost me £450 I think at the time but I've also got a Casio G-Shock I use when working.

bajadj
9th Mar 2009, 20:00
http://stuff4restaurants.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/watch-plane.jpg

and one for afraz and fabbe!!

Image(s) for Timex aeroplane watch - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=203-1094)

Hyph
9th Mar 2009, 22:42
For anyone contemplating paying £1000 for a watch...

Know the difference between quartz and an automatic movement? If you're buying a serious watch, you should.

One is a simple electronic timepiece, the other a miniature mechanical masterpiece. Both might have the same brand and design. Both might even have similar prices.

Swiss watches are famous for a reason. However, the marketeers will be happy to sell you the quartz watch for only slightly less than the real thing. Know what you are buying.

Ten West
9th Mar 2009, 23:04
Oi!

I own 2 Omega Seamasters. Quartz.

Know why I chose them? Because the automatic version (Bond model) I had before was nowhere near as accurate as the Quartz one. I need accuracy above all else, but I love quality engineering, hence the Seamasters. My blue one (2541.80) has been on my arm every day for the last ten years and still looks like new apart from a small amount of fading on the bezel. My black one is a 'special occasions' watch and is new anyway.

They keep astonishingly good time, whether I wear them or not. Even a Chronometer certified movement is nowhere near as accurate as quartz. No matter how vigorously or frequently you move your wrist. ;)

There's a place for mechanical movements for sure, and I respect and admire the artistry of their construction, but technology moves on.

Ever seen a modern airliner with piston engines rather than jets?

Ten West
9th Mar 2009, 23:29
I fully agree. A good Casio or Seiko is really all you need. But being as a watch is really the only piece of jewellery that a man can get away with, why not wear a nice one if it makes you feel good and you can afford it?

Okavango
10th Mar 2009, 00:09
Thanks all - really wasn't a wind up or to do with image (I do in fact use a cheap casio digital for flying at the moment!). Only reason was that as the missus wants to buy a special gift I thought I might as well explore if there is anything specifically good for flying out there. I like the look of the Omega Seamaster though think I'll stick with the Tag Link. Cheers.

rick0
10th Mar 2009, 01:09
I've got mid 90's Breitling Colt Quartz.. brilliant watch. Super accurate (iirc their quartz movements lose seconds every year) so no faffling around with inaccurate time :p And date dial (handy). 60 min bezel thing and er lovely golden Breitling wing emblem on the face :D

ReallyAnnoyed
10th Mar 2009, 01:24
Buy yourself an airbus - it comes with a nice GPS watch in the cockpit that is far more accurate than all the Breitlings of the world :}

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2009, 01:40
£5 watch from Argos (If its still alive) Then the rest on flying? Or maybe most of it on flying and a few ales down the local.

If I HAD to choose a watch for a grand though, I'd go to the jewellers, tell them to show me all the watches within budget and pick the prettiest :}.

captain_rossco
10th Mar 2009, 09:49
Casio f-91, job done.
Do i wear it on nights out? Hell no!
Does it let me down in particular light conditions or have me rapidly working out hour minute calculations, nope.
The Breitling Colt is a great watch, if you must have one get the brushed finish or the scratching and swirling will have you reaching for the Cape Cod polishing cloths after every flight!

Regards
CR

mad_jock
10th Mar 2009, 10:59
You could always get her to buy you one of these (http://www.aveight.aero/ring.html)

Maybe all you wannabies should chip in for one for WWW for all the cracking advice he gives out for free.

I am sure he would be dead chuffed to get one :p

All credit to 'Chuffer' Dandridge for finding and outing such a hellish fashion item.

Ten West
10th Mar 2009, 11:05
I'm not sure I'd really want to be invited onto the flight deck to inspect the Captain's ring? :eek:

Back on watches though, I always really fancied the Omega Speedmaster, but as it's double the cost of the Seamaster I couldn't justify it.

Still, it's cheaper than a Rolex, and far better built. Check out the "Torture tests" than NASA did on all the watches on the short list for the Space Programme:

Speedmaster-Mission.net (http://www.speedmaster-mission.net/)

OneIn60rule
10th Mar 2009, 12:08
But... spending a fortune on a pilot's watch is ... just not right.

I used to think it would be nice to have a pilot watch but when you look at the price and so on it just doesn't make much sense.

A basic watch, be it digital or not is all you really need.

If you want something expensive... rolex is the way.

1/60

mad_jock
10th Mar 2009, 12:27
The omega Co-axial GMT would do me nicely

BelArgUSA
10th Mar 2009, 12:58
Pilots and aviation friends...
xxx
If you buy any watch as a tool, as an occupational accessory, go for it.
Whatever you buy, if it is so justified, named it Timex, Breitling, Rolex.
When I was flying, I used my Breitling Navitimer functions every flight.
Stopwatch, conversions, estimates, UTC plus/minus to get local time - etc.
Still use it today, currency conversions, price comparison at the market.
If you buy a watch to "look" as top gun pilot or A-380 captain, let me laugh.
xxx
Happy contrails

Leezyjet
10th Mar 2009, 14:45
I've got a Citizen Nighthawk. Cost £180 from duty free on BA. Great watch for flying and doesn't look too flashy either, just a nice plain stainless steel case and strap. Slide rule comes in handy, and so does the zulu hand.

Not being into expensive watches myself (don't see the point - they only do the same as a cheap one), I'd get a cheaper watch and spend the rest of her hard earned money on taking her on a flight out for lunch. :E

:)

skyhighbird
10th Mar 2009, 14:48
BelArg,

looks are important :) hence my constant mentioning of mirrored-effect aviators (much to Mad Jocks annoyance :}).

-Ive just realised I could be banned for my advertising of aviators.

Bajadi,

Loved the watch for Fabbe92 and Afraz. I'm feeling a little un-entertained as they haven't been around for a while.

All you big mean bullies scared them off.

safta
10th Mar 2009, 14:52
Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk!! Multiple time zones, no battery replacement, hands automatically reset to selected time zone with the push of two buttons simultaneously, and has E6B type ring scale. As an international airline pilot I searched for the perfect airline pilot's watch for years in all the major centres, and this watch is by far streets ahead of anything else.

Ten West
10th Mar 2009, 15:24
Why buy a leather jacket? It does exactly the same job as a PVC one. And who wants a Saville Row suit when Asda will sell you one for twenty quid?

I think we've established that pretty much any watch is fine for work, but when you get into the realms of four-figure prices and above all you're paying for is it's jewellery value.
To that end, here's my brief impressions of watches I've personally owned, or have been owned by mates:

TAG Heuer quartz, approx. 1988:
Looked nice, not bad build quality, but went wrong 3 times in 4 years. Average repair cost was £90 each time. never again!
I chopped it in for:

Seiko Pilot Chronograph:
Good and solid, reliable in the extreme and accurate. Down sides? Extremely cluttered dial made it hard to read in poor light, and what use is a whiz wheel flight computer that's only 1.5" across?? I'd need glasses if I were still using it now. Looked better on a NATO strap too.

Breitling Crosswind, stainless steel ("Bentley" movement):
Very nice, accurate and well made, BUT extremely prone to scratches, dings etc. due to the overly fussy design of the case and the highly polished finish. You'd think at least twice about wearing it in anything other than ideal conditions. You'd never wear it anywhere near a beach, for example.
A bit big and "Bling" for my tastes too, but I can see why people like them.

Rolex Submariner:
Top quality, accurate and iconic. Bad points? Everyone assumes it's a fake, so it'll make you look like Del Boy. Hardwearing, but hollow links and a pressed steel bracelet clasp on a £3,000+ watch??? Do me a favour. Stainless is the only colour to have. The gold/steel ones are a real "Fruit salad" of a watch. have either or, not both.
They were good value once, but they're trading on their name now.

Ideal watch for me:
Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moonwatch)
A real historic icon of the 20th century. Durable as hell and extremely accurate for a mechanical watch. I'd have the one with the sapphire crystal.
The real Moon watches had a plastic crystal to avoid glass shards floating around in zero G in the event of a breakage, but I can live without that in exchange for a scratch-free lens. The coolest of the cool, NASA certified (The only watch of 5 different makes to survive NASA testing), but will only be recognised by watch afficionadoes. No "Rolex" effect (ie: "Is that a real one mate?")

My choice:

Omega Seamaster Quartz. "Bond" model from 1999 and current black-faced model.

Solid as a rock, extreme accuracy and almost impossible to damage in normal use. As I said earlier, my blue one has had 10 years of daily use and is still pristine. When it gets tiny bracelet scratches you can polish them out with a scotchbrite pad in seconds. The sapphire crystal lens is still absolutely perfect.
I'd have another like a shot. In fact, I've just bought another one, in black. Reason being that Omega will be replacing it soon with the Planet Ocean. Not as nice looking in my opinion, and the fact that the crystal is "coated" on both sides means that it marks easily. They're also dearer than the "Bond" version by a large margin.
The quality of engineering on these is amazing. Each link in the bracelet is made of 9 pieces of steel, and each link pin rides on 2 bearings. The clasp is machinbed from solid and is incredibly secure, requiring 2 buttons to be pressed simultaneously to release it.

Better than a Rolex and 1/3rd the price. Bargain! get one while you can. :ok:

mad_jock
10th Mar 2009, 17:43
All this watch talk had me surfing the net looking at watches.

Then I realised that the cost of that list you have just put up is more than I paid for my IR :mad: think I will stick to my current watch which to be honest has cock all wrong with it and does the job for 100 quid.

And skyhighburd it doesn't annoy me mirrored aviator shades. Apart from the reflections issues if you want to wander round in a pilots uniform wearing them its up to you. But be warned you will be mistaken for a stripper especially if your wearing a hat.

Ten West
10th Mar 2009, 20:42
Horses for courses Jock.

My 1994 Vauxhall Astra has nothing wrong with it either. It cost me £400 a year ago and gets me to work and back every day. But there are times I want a bit of luxury so I get the old Merc out.

Same with watches really. There are worse things to spend money on. ;)

Just looked on Ebay: A Seamaster like mine (similar age and condition) sold for just under £600. I paid £750 for my one in 1999 (They're £1160 now). Hmm. Luxury watch for £15 a year? Not a bad deal! :ok:

Hot 'n' High
10th Mar 2009, 21:05
Okavango,

You have clearly struck a chord with this Thread! As I said on P1, £5 for the watch and £995 for beer does it for me. But an interesting discussion none the less. Never realised how expensive some watches were! Never having the spare dosh guess I passed those windows in the Jewelers by! :{

H 'n' H

PS Bit of Thread creep here but, Okavango, why named after a swamp?

Ten West
10th Mar 2009, 23:38
For those that want something nice and solid with a bit of originality, what about this guy's site? I doubt you'd bump into anyone else wearing one at your local flying club or watering hole:

RLT Watches (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/index.html)

I really fancy one of these:

RLT Watches K-3 Submarine (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/info_265.html)
Or, do you want a GMT Master's Zulu function? No problem:

RLT Watches Rocket N1 (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/info_804.html)

Cravenmorehead
10th Mar 2009, 23:44
I wear a Polar CS300 heart rate monitor watch with a cycling computer built in. I love cycling and running when not flying around the world. Great for lay- overs.
Helps keep track of how much or how little exercise I have done, tells me what heart rate zone I am in even tells me to back off if I am going to hard. I love the thing cost me $300.00 Australian.

mad_jock
11th Mar 2009, 09:40
What do the jewels do in the movement?

I quite like quite a few of them watches on that site thanks for posting it.

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 10:05
The 'Jewels' mentioned in the movement are tiny, tiny synthetic rubies and are used as bearings between some of the moving parts.

[ELGIN] Why Watches Have Jewels (http://elginwatches.org/help/watch_jewels.html)

Generally speaking, manufacturers like to point out how many 'Jewels' the movement has as a sign of the build quality. In reality it doesn't tell you very much, but it sounds good!

I like the idea of the case of that "Submarine" one having a 'Display back' as well, ie: the back case has a glass too so that you can see the movement working. :cool:

PS: I notice some of those watches on that site have what's described as an ETA Movement:

eta (http://www.eta.ch/)

Just in case you were wondering, the Swiss firm of ETA is probably the biggest manufacturer of automatic movements in the world and supplies its products to Omega amongst others. many current Omega models use ETA movements with just a few cosmetic modifications.
Some of those watches look like a cheap way to get hold of a top grade Swiss automatic!

johnnyDB
11th Mar 2009, 10:26
As long as it shows me which day it is, saves me getting up early on a saturday thinking i'm going to beat the traffic :bored:

RobStob
11th Mar 2009, 10:35
Hi everyone.

I've been looking at the Citizen Skyhawk AT Blue Angels watch, and I'm just wondering if anyone has this and can comment on its general quality, actual appearance etc? It's a bit pricey at £400, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for some style rather than getting a simple digital or what not.

Thanks.

mad_jock
11th Mar 2009, 10:44
Sod it have just ordered one of them rocket jobs the display back tipped it.

And I must say although this topic has the potential for the children to start spouting ****e about what they don't have a clue about. It has been very pleasant to watch a thread not only to learn about a subject which I didn't really have a clue about. But also not have to skip read the whole thing trying to work out who is living on planet zanussi.

edited to add The citizen watches I own (2 of) have all been high quality the eco drive is well worth the extra money. You are talking 40-100 quid for a battery change depending if you get it pressure tested or not. My current diving eco drive it has a depth gauge built in, has been going strong for 15 years now proberly done about 500 dives which would have been 4-5 bat changes on the none eco. Bought it for 450 quid, bat change by Citizen is 120quid, none eco was 350 quid. Thought I had knackarded it when i took it to 70 meters but didn't. Been through 3 straps at 30 quid each including new pins.

That particular watch you like is way to cluttered for me but its your money, I would pay the extra for the eco drive option if you do decide to go for it.

Abu Bebo
11th Mar 2009, 11:04
I got this watch as an engagement present back in 2005. Originally, I wanted the non-BlueAngels one because I thought the brushed steel look was better, and I'm not a member of the Blue Angels, but I also wanted the lightness of titanium. The Blue Angels was the only titanium one so I compromised (function over form) and have not been disappointed.
The rotating bezel is much easier to use with the little yellow triangles on, especially if it becomes a bit stiff (sand or dirt can obstruct the movement, but a good clean sorts it out). The numbers on the bezel are white on blue, thus easier to read. The only things I use the computer for, though, are working out the fuel consumption on my bike and comparing prices at the supermarket :ok: I must have saved myself a couple of quid over the years :D
The watch has drawn a couple of nice comments, it gives one an excuse to talk about maths or flying (as if you need another :yuk: ), the glass must be specially hardened as it is virtually unscratched, the clasp is very secure, but £400 can buy a lot of :cool: watches.

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 11:13
Cool! :cool:

That's the one I would have ordered too. With the extra GMT hand. I've never actually seen one in the metal, but they look good quality and the site doesn't sell junk by the looks of things, so I'm sure it'll be fine. Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Official VOSTOK-EUROPE website (http://www.vostok-europe.com/)

Apparently that model you've ordered was voted "Watch of the Year 2008" in the "Below 500 Euros" category by readers of a watch enthusiast magazine. Can't be bad then.

On the subject of servicing, that price for Citizen does sound expensive. My Omega has a battery change every 2 years as a precaution (Although the original lasted almost five!) and I get it done by Wempe (Official Omega service centre and dealer) when I'm in Germany.
A battery and a seal change/test costs 15 Euros. carried out while I have a wander around the shops for a few hours.

For a major service I can send it back to Omega in Bond St. It takes 3 months, costs £150 but includes the following (Some steps are omitted for quartz models, obviously):

These are the main steps of a complete maintenance service:
1 Open the case, remove the dial and the movement

2 Disassemble the case (crystal, pushers, crown, tube, bezel etc.)

3 Restore the case and bracelet as nearly as possible to their original state; repair if necessary

4 Wash the case and bracelet

5 Re-assemble the case using new parts (crystal, pushers, crown, tube, gaskets etc.)

6 Remove the dial from the movement and the hands

7 Disassemble the movement into its individual components

8 Check whether the watch parts function correctly, check for rust or wear

9 Replace any faulty watch parts

10 Wash the disassembled movement in a cleaning machine with specific baths

11 Check the cleanliness
12 Assemble and lubricate the movement in accordance with the instructions (Technical Guide)

13 Adjust the movement in accordance with Omega's quality criteria

14 Fit the dial and the hands

15 Final adjustment of the movement in accordance with working directives

16 Close the case and check the water-resistance

17 Set the correct time on the watch, check the cleanliness and the functioning of the assembled watch

18 Check the precision of the rate after 24 hours. If the rate is not satisfactory, the watch is returned to the watchmaker for the necessary corrections.

19 In order to check the power reserve, allow the watch to run until it stops.

20 Fit the bracelet and carry out a final check before returning the watch to the consumer.

mad_jock
11th Mar 2009, 11:16
Just been looking at the new items on that site.

RLT Watches New Items (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_1944.html)

Now in my opinion you couldn't go wrong with this for flying for 28 pounds.

Its the pressure test which costs the money. Most of which I presume is insurance for if it leaks which is another good reason for an eco drive.

I love it when you order something then after a bit it turns out better than you realise. I have always liked Russian engineering my SLR camera is russian as well its not exactly stealthy (clickty clackerty clunk) taking a photo but it takes very good quality ones

skyhighbird
11th Mar 2009, 11:30
A record must be broken!

The most useless post that has had the most replies :ok:

Been intersting though. But once again bias creeps in. There are no good female (pilot) watches in comparison to the bling blings that have been linked on this thread.

Can we have some female input please? Any gorgeous watches out there that will go with my mirrored-effect aviators? (sorry mad-jock :p)

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 11:34
Just the job is that. Lorus is now owned as a brand by Seiko too.

I like this one:

RLT Watches New Items (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_1941.html)

Don't the MOD issue Lorus now for general service watches? I remember a while ago all pilots were issued the Seiko MOD Chronograph.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nederick/SeikoChronoRevuVulcF.htm (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enederick/SeikoChronoRevuVulcF.htm)

There was a version with a yellow face that was issued to Vulcan crews to allow them to see it easier in the dark of the cockpit. They're worth fortunes now apparently.

Good watches for women? There are loads!

Most of them will have quartz movements. This is because of the generally smaller physical size of women's watches. It's not cost-effective to produce a scaled-down version of most auto movements, so they use quartz.
It's also apparently because women in the main tend to be less interested in all the intricate engineering on their wrist than men do.

How much do you want to spend? Omega Constellations are elegant and yet solid, or TAG Heuer do some more businesslike ones.
Seiko produce a good range too.

mad_jock
11th Mar 2009, 11:58
Skyhighbird :ok:

I don't have a problem with female FO's or Captain's for that matter looking like strippers. Just make sure you wear a coloured bra under your shirt.......

Better go and have a cold shower.

That site is worth having a good rummage around usually looking in shop windows there is maybe 1-2 out of hundred I would take a second look at. There is some very nice stuff on it for quite reasonable prices.

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 12:26
RLT Watches An Unofficial Pictorial History of* RLT Watch Co (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/rlt_guide.htm)

He's made some interesting stuff! :ok:

How about one of these for a good flying watch for a woman?

RLT Watches RLT Watch Co. (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/info_170.html)

Hmm. 35mm, so quite large by women's standards (About the size of the mid-size Omega or Rolex casing which is aimed at the Asian market. They make this because Asian men are generally smaller than their European or American counterparts, so a full-size Seamaster or Oyster for example looks a bit too big on them)
Assembled from top quality components by a craftsman. Swiss ETA movement, water resistant, etc. You're unlikely to see another one!

Not bad for £125. :hmm:

mad_jock
11th Mar 2009, 12:59
Well done, that's my sisters Christmas present sorted.

It says they can do specials as well, blue background with violet and red hands.

Right if any one dares suggest getting a pink one made there will be trouble :=

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 14:00
This is getting to be quite an expensive thread for you, isn't it mate? ;)

I really like his RLT5 model as a good practical flying watch. Especially with the date bubble he made to special order. I'd have the RAF grey NATO strap as well.
The only thing I'd rather have on there would be a sapphire crystal rather than a mineral one.
For those that don't know, a mineral glass is very hard to scratch, but one made from synthetic sapphire, although slightly more expensive, is virtually impossible to scratch as it's almost the same hardness as diamond. It's what's on my Omegas.

Rlt 5 Reviews - The Watch Forum (http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2522)

INNflight
11th Mar 2009, 14:06
but I'm willing to pay a bit more for some style rather than getting a simple digital or what not

Do you pay for your flight training yourself?

All the CPL and IR flying will cost you an arm and a leg, so trust me, style is not what you should be worried about in the end of the day....unless of course you got nuff cash. :zzz:

LH2
11th Mar 2009, 14:27
Real aviators do not wear a (pff!) "watch" :yuk:

...although I admit my gnomon is not all that useful at night :uhoh:

tonker
11th Mar 2009, 14:31
I wanted a strong lightweight(titanium) watch with both anolgue and a digital display for a second time zone and i ended up with one of these.

Pr50 Titanium Seven t34.7.487.62 - Tissot Pr50 wrist watch (http://www.righttime.com/rt/tissot/t34.7.487.62.htm)

This watch is titanium and has a 988.333 movement.

This Breitling uses the same movement and also uses a titanium case

Breitling 2009 - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS TM (http://www.breitling.com/en/#/models/professional/aerospace/)

The Tissot can be bought for £130, whereas the Breitling with same movement and metalic case costs £1940!!!!!!!!

Ten West
11th Mar 2009, 14:45
Good buy! :ok:

That's what people fail to realize in this game. Many of the watches all have the same "guts". Nearly always ETA in the case of Swiss ones.

"Ah" some will say "But mine is a Chronometer movement, so surely that's better, right?"

Wrong. The word "Chronometer" on the dial merely tells you that your actual watch has been sent to the COSC ( COSC - Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (http://www.cosc.ch/chronometre.php?lang=en) ) and has been subjected to, and passed, their tests for quality of build and accuracy.

The reason it's more expensive than one with the exact same movement without "Chronometer" on the dial is purely because of the fees charged to carry out the test.

Still, I guess it keeps the COSC guys in cuckoo clocks and Toblerones. ;)

zlocko2002
11th Mar 2009, 17:12
for that money go for Omega Seamaster GMT if you want brand watch, or if you want chronograph Sinn 103sa, 356, 356UTC

rick0
12th Mar 2009, 02:07
I wanted a strong lightweight(titanium) watch with both anolgue and a digital display for a second time zone and i ended up with one of these.

Pr50 Titanium Seven t34.7.487.62 - Tissot Pr50 wrist watch (http://www.righttime.com/rt/tissot/t34.7.487.62.htm)

This watch is titanium and has a 988.333 movement.

This Breitling uses the same movement and also uses a titanium case

Breitling 2009 - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS TM (http://www.breitling.com/en/#/models/professional/aerospace/)

The Tissot can be bought for £130, whereas the Breitling with same movement and metalic case costs £1940!!!!!!!! The current Aerospace does not use the 988.333 movement (it's not thermocompensated). Might use the .352 movement.. not sure. But anyway, pretty sure Breitling heavily modify all the movments they use?

Ten West
12th Mar 2009, 02:26
It would be interesting to know by exactly what margin Breitling modify their movements.
Omega have 'modified' some of their ETA movements in the past, but it's just amounted to cosmetic tinkering and a bit of engraving.

Must admit that as much as I love nice watches, some of the spec. differences really are nit-picking in the extreme.
Rolex cases for example, use a 'higher quality' stainless steel than do their Omega counterparts.

The difference is: The Rolex steel can withstand certain chemical attacks better than the Omega steel. :rolleyes:

Useful where that grade of steel is employed in the manufacture of industrial plant for chemical handling, but absolutely sod-all difference made to anything in the world of wristwatches.

I think if I were being exposed to heavily corrosive chemicals at high temperatures one of the least of my priorities would be its effect on the surface finish of the casing of my watch! :hmm:

ea340
12th Mar 2009, 02:35
Solar powered Casio G Shock with nightly update dont leave home without it.

Ten West
12th Mar 2009, 02:44
I've always been quite taken with the Junghans (sp?) watches I've seen in German department stores.

Quartz movement, but constantly updated and adjusted by the radio signal from Rugby (I imagine!) same as the radio controlled clocks.

Looks an interesting technology in any case, although I wonder how good the battery life would be if the movement is periodically 'listening' for updates?
I have a radio controlled clock at home and it gets through a AA every few months to a year.

daveyb
13th Mar 2009, 02:14
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/PAW1300_Series/product/PAW1300-1V/content/Special_Features (http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/PAW1300_Series/product/PAW1300-1V/content/Special_Features)

i use the above and find it the business updates via the 5 atomic clocks around the world, you can have local time&utc time displayed on screen at the same time .
also has about 40 cities around the world programed into it i got mine of flea bay for about 170euro two tears ago rrp in Ireland at the time 300+ euro

Ten West
14th Mar 2009, 11:07
Crikey! That looks like it would survive a nuclear war! :eek:

Clever stuff though, with the radio updates. Although personally I prefer analogue and good old 'hands' to digitals. I find it easier to 'visualize' the time that way. Especially for last landings, FTLs and such.
Rugged though they undoubtedly are, I've never personally been a huge fan of 'Tupperware watches'. Well, with the exception of Swatch anyway. I've had a few of those in the past. I used to wear them when I was working on electrical systems for a living as they're non-conductive, so I wouldn't get a nasty surprise if I stuck my hand behind a panel somewhere and the watch shorted out anything live.

Wonder if Jock's new Vostok has turned up yet? I want to know what he thinks of it! :confused:

mad_jock
14th Mar 2009, 12:40
Unfortunately I just missed the last one in stock and it will be sent as soon as the next batch arrive.

Ten West
14th Mar 2009, 13:24
I'll look forward to reading the review! :ok:

redsnail
14th Mar 2009, 19:10
I found the Tissot watches just a bit too big for my wrist.

I ended up with a G-MS (http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Baby-G/MSG160_Series/product/MSG160L-4V/) G shock watch.
It's similar to this one but mine has a nice analogue face along with a digital panel.

The face is a solar energy receptor to keep the battery charged. Had mine for 4 years now and it's not given me any grief what so ever.

babymike737
14th Mar 2009, 19:13
OMEGA Seamaster - PLANET OCEAN (With Black Rubber Strap)

Dane-Ger
14th Mar 2009, 20:58
I bought a titanium citizen skyhawk, it was on sale, half price. Bargain, looks nice, lots og good functions, wizz wheel, timer, time zones etc etc. All the stuff a real pilot needs.

Used it for my IMC rating...waste of time!

doing timed turns or executing a hold whilst looking at a small wristwatch was way too much work. every time I turned my wrist to check the time I over or under-banked!

I have now invested the vast sum of £3 on a nice clip-on digital stopwatch that can sit on my clipboard and the digits can be read from about 3 miles away. (If only I had listened to my instructor and done that from the start!)

The watch does look nice though:hmm:

mizwings
15th Mar 2009, 03:36
Been intersting though. But once again bias creeps in. There are no good female (pilot) watches in comparison to the bling blings that have been linked on this thread.

Can we have some female input please? Any gorgeous watches out there that will go with my mirrored-effect aviators ? LOL. Just how bling bling do you want to go? Someone recently bought me one of these

Ladies Zodiac Aviator 'Air Dragon' Watch ZO7606 :eek: (http://www.watchshopuk.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=99928296)

Here are some nice ones , but pricey.

Breitling Cockpit Lady Range Of Genuine Designer Watches At Discount Prices (http://www.breitlingwatches.plazadiscounts.com/page9.html)

mizwings
15th Mar 2009, 03:49
I don't have a problem with female FO's or Captain's for that matter looking like strippers. Just make sure you wear a coloured bra under your shirt.......

:ok: and some of these under our trousers ?

Queen of the Sky (pink) Classic Thong - CafePress (http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/queen-of-the-sky-pink-classic-thong/77129808)

Ten West
15th Mar 2009, 09:37
Dane-Ger:

I know exactly what you mean! The Seiko Pilot Chrono that I had was exactly the same. Gadgets everywhere! Whizz wheel, about 4 pushers, gun turrets, slots for credit cards, etc...etc.

I had a hard time even reading the time on it in poor light conditions. As for all the gadgetry, about all I ever used was the alarm for car parking ticket expiries and the stopwatch for boiling eggs. Do any pilots actually use these things in flight?
My belief is that they're bought mainly for show. That and the odd few 'back-of-fag-packet' calculations in the crew room or the bar.

That's a nice looking ladies' Breitling (If you're a fan of Breitlings of course).
Notice something though? Quartz movement. Just like I was saying a page or two back.

nike
16th Mar 2009, 00:36
I had the fang-dangled pilot's watch in GA.....worthless.

after 15 years, what I reckon now in no particular order....

1. analog, wind adjustable makes it easy to change to the new time zone.
2. lightweight, for some reason it gets annoying at 4am in the seat - as does most things
3. has a light on it, easy to read the time to get out of the bunk
4. keeps time well, although the plane's come with the best clock out there
5. easily removed or better still, doesn't set off the detectors
6. not too expensive, you'll lose it at the hotel, security or somewhere, guaranteed.
7. doesn't look like a pilot's watch

johnnyDB
16th Mar 2009, 17:59
This tread reminds me somewhat of the one about the FO being too young on the pic for the B777.
What shoes are best for flying? :8

mad_jock
16th Mar 2009, 20:06
Clarks airport safe with the symbol on the sole :p

bfisk
16th Mar 2009, 20:07
It should preferably keep time, so that you can set the aircrafts clock accurately if it is incorrect.

Ten West
16th Mar 2009, 20:10
Well, I like my Omegas, but I would defer to a GPS system for ultimate accuracy!

Update:

After much searching for "Pilot Watch" I've found the very thing:

Just the job. (http://www.superbrass.com/users/goodvibes/pockdandare.jpg)

Yup. Gonna git me one 'o them. :ok:

Rigid Rotor
28th Mar 2009, 06:39
As for all the gadgetry, about all I ever used was the alarm for car parking ticket expiries and the stopwatch for boiling eggs. Do any pilots actually use these things in flight?
My belief is that they're bought mainly for show. That and the odd few 'back-of-fag-packet' calculations in the crew room or the bar.

How true! I have this now rather battered Citizen Promaster Wingman VI - a good and rugged aviators' watch with analogue and digital displays. Also has a fairly accurate E2B 'whizz-wheel' - the problem now is the eyesight - can't see the fine print on the E2B clearly:}

Ten West
28th Mar 2009, 09:06
Ah, you'll be needing the optional Citizen magnifying glass that attaches to the other wrist. ;)

PS: If anyone owns a stainless watch that's getting a bit scruffy, I can recommend this process to restore it to its former glory:

TimeZone: Omega: Tutorial: Bracelet Refurbishment (Bond SMP, Pic intensive) (http://www.chronomaddox.com/article/mason_a/bracelet_refurb.html)

I did my old Seamaster like this, and it's come up like new again. Although as my watch wasn't badly scratched I didn't use the Dremel and polish first, and I used a coarse "Scotchbrite" pad rather than "Garryflex".

Scotchbrite restores the surface finish of brushed steel beautifully. Just be sure to only move the pad in the direction of the brushed "grain". :ok:

coldair
29th Mar 2009, 10:36
I have a lovely £10 Timex. Only looses / gains about two seconds every six months. Lovely piece of kit, everything else I need to know is on the cockpit panel in front of me.

I can't see why some guys get so excited about their watch. Perhaps I'm just getting old but all I need to know is the time accurately.

Schumi - Red Baron
29th Mar 2009, 16:44
Some mates told that Tissot T-Touch is really good.... Even though I use the Breitling Windrider Blackbird and find this one too really good... Easy to use and pretty accurate...:ok:

Ten West
31st Mar 2009, 18:57
I can't see why some guys get so excited about their watch.

There's worse things to get excited about. Why do women love shoes? Why do old people like bowling? Or get excited about antiques? It's just an interest. A pretty harmless one at that. :ok:

I think of it as being like antiques. There's lots to learn about the technical aspects, and I'm always on the lookout for rare ones that I can snap up cheaply and sell for a profit. If you buy the right makes at the right prices then you never really lose when you re-sell them again anyway.

Rolex Submariners were well under £2,000 a few years back. They're £3,750 or so now. You could have bought one ten years ago new and still sold it for a profit today.

Poose
15th Apr 2009, 12:22
This is a very strange thread... How many pilots need a specific pilot's watch? Let's be honest... anything will do... ;)

However, why have cotton when you can have silk? As an advert once said... And just because someone else wants to drive a beat up Yugo or wear cheap tat doesn't mean we all should! :mad: (We're not in Communist Russia - thankfully!!)

I have to confess to be slightly perturbed by the level to which people judge on appearance in this industry. What else do people judge on? Background, skin colour, sex, perhaps? Surely if you're a good pilot and a decent chap or chapess is that not the benchmark? If a bloke wants to wear a nice watch, so be it, that's his or her business.

This reminds me of another thread were some chump accused OAA students of donning Captains bars when walking around Tescoes. This spurned all sorts of responses with all sorts of attacks on people for wearing Ray Bans, Breitlings, hair gel, wearing their uniform in public on the way home etc.

I'm just astounded at the number of people who are frightened to take a pride in themselves and their own achievements in this industry and indeed the UK at large...

Or indeed those who attack / ridicule other people to pull them down to their level. Oh! And god forbid anyone be successful or achieve things at a young age (See Young B777 First Officer thread.) ...

Only the underdog / loser (A level to which the majority can aspire to - as it is easily achievable.) gets accolades in our society...
Give it time and the chaps from Essex will be landing at Jade Goody International. :ugh:

Well... when I've finished this fATPL lark I'll be dressed like Ace Rimmer / Third World Dictator... Because I will have earnt it and bugger what anyone else thinks!

Buy the most bling watch you can Okavango!

Could someone pass me a ladder? Need to climb off my soap box. :ok:

captain_rossco
15th Apr 2009, 12:32
haha. here here to the above thread!

Regards
CR

Chilli Corneto
15th Apr 2009, 12:37
At a recent birthday party:

F/O: Oh is that a fake Brietling?

Me: No it's a very real Accurist. It cost me about 20 times less and still tells me what the UTC is!

I'd rather save my money and spend it on beer. I don't care what the time is then! :}

Rhyspiper
15th Apr 2009, 12:45
I wouldn't go for a 'aviator' style large watch as its all a bit suspect image-wise whilst you go through your training. If you're not careful you'll find yourself in a pair of Ray-Ban classics toying with the leather flying jacket catalogue... Sometime it takes years to live this sort of thing down.

WWW have you been spying on me again!!! :}

Poose
15th Apr 2009, 13:54
If nothing else this thread has shown some good banter...:ok:

Incidentally, the number of replies to this thread exceeds some of the serious questions / threads asked on here... But you guys are against 'bling' watches... yeah... right. ;)

The number of recommendations on here and obscure models etc. has tickled me... but pilots really aren't into there watches, remember? :rolleyes:

"Smoke me a kipper... I'll be back for breakfast!"

BelArgUSA
15th Apr 2009, 14:37
You kids have to learn from old retired pilots... (with Breitlings) -
xxx
Buy an analog watch. Just in case.
You see, ATC might tell you "traffic 10 o'clock...!" -
You might be forced to say "where is 10 o'clock, only have a digital watch...?"
xxx
Then there is that flight attendant with an imitation gold Rolex.
He bought it in HongKong for some US$ 14.oo.
And wore it one evening at the beach in Rio/Ipanema.
Got attacked by a few tugs, they stole it off his wrist.
Ambulance, hospital for a couple of hours... some bruises.
xxx
:suspect:
Happy contrails