PDA

View Full Version : Bob Holland - 92 Sqn pilot & jazz pianist

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 17:52
I'm seeking a bit more info about this chap. Bob Holland was a pre-war professional pianist, apparently of some repute, who flew with the legendary 92 Squadron in the B.o.B. and sadly shot down KIA a little later in the war. I know all this only incidentally from books I've read. This, and that thanks to his pedigree he was able to officiate at singalongs of legendary quality!

For any more, Google is not my friend - all I get is pages about cricketers! :bored: I want to know more about his musical life in particular. I've asked a friend who is far more knowledgable about pre-war bands than I and drawn a blank. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 18:04
There's this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1463104/Sheila-Wickham.html) for starters...

I wonder if there are any other jazz pianists, like me, on PPRuNe? Flying interests and musical skill often go together.

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 18:08
Snap!! Moi aussi!

It was that very connection that got me interested in him. :ok:

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 18:16
Snap!! Moi aussi!

Do you mean you tinkle the ivories as well - or that you'd seen the same web page?

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 18:51
Do you mean you tinkle the ivories as well

Certainly do. And was doing so in a quartet in a Rochester pub this very afternoon, in fact.

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 19:12
Mr G? If so, we've mutual friends.

It may only be in old films that I remember, but RAF mess booze-up scenes would often feature a squadron member who was talented on the keys for a song-song. Probably a WWII thing when many personnel had learned at home, in the 'golden age' during the 1930s, how to play by ear on the ubiquitous parlour piano. It's a skill among 'untrained' pianists that's long since gone.

Guitarists? Well, that's a different matter - a post-war phenomenon we all know the results of.

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 20:05
You've lost me with Mr.G. It's a Mr.E to me (sorry - couldn't resist!) so if you could elucidate?

As for guitars, I can entirely see your point, but what about the pre-war greats like Reinhart & Al Casey?

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 20:12
Wasn't Leon Greening playing in Rochester today?

The point about pianos pre-war (not on a jazz tack) was that so many people could play - and went on to be indispensable at a wartime knees-up.

In the 50s, guitars became the 'must-play' instruments for thousands (again, not on a jazz tack).

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 20:29
Clang! - the penny has dropped. Yes indeed, the piano was de rigeur pre war, to be supplanted by the guitar thereafter. Missed your drift.

I don't know of the chap you mention, but I'll try to find out more.

lights to minimum
8th Mar 2009, 21:05
Bob Holland was a pilot on 92sqn and I believe was wing man to Bob Stanford Tuck in 1940.
His son Johnathan became a pilot with Air Uk Leisure in about 1989 and was my first officer one day returning to Manchester from I think Tenerife. As we flew over the Bristol channel he told me that his father had been killed (I think in a Vampire) as a Wing Commander in the early 50s in that very area.
Johnathan lives in the Manchester area as far as I know and still flies professionally. He is also a talented musician and came from Guernsey where I think he still has family.

kevmusic
9th Mar 2009, 00:34
Thank you, ltm: I stand corrected. I know he was shot down during the war (over France?) but my source does not go further. I presumed, erroneously, he was KIA then; and I hope, by my mistake, that I did not visit any undue distress upon the family.

I am glad to hear that Jonathon continues in his father's footsteps.

treadigraph
9th Mar 2009, 07:53
Kev, if you haven't read either Tony Bartley's or Brian Kingcome's autobiographies, one or both mention Bob Holland and his musicianship in some detail. And both are a great read as well.

kevmusic
9th Mar 2009, 09:41
Amazon, here I come!! Thanks for that, Mr. treadigraph.

sidtheesexist
9th Mar 2009, 11:21
'Smoketrails in the sky' and ' A Willingness to Die ' are the titles of those autoboigraphies to help you in your amazon search. Also, don't forget ' First Flight ' by Geoff Wellum - a beautiful book and he was with 92 aswell - possibly the youngest Pilot Officer in the BoB......

treadigraph
9th Mar 2009, 13:24
Well done Sid, couldn't remember the titles - and I must hie me to Amazon to order "First Light"...

Also "Fly for Your Life" by Larry Forrester, about Bob Stanford-Tuck - no mention of the piano if I recall, but certianly mention of Holland as wingman. Get the unabridged version though.

Regards

Treadders