PDA

View Full Version : Airline/ tour operator associations

WX Man
10th Sep 2000, 15:07
I'm curious about airline- tour operator associations. So far I have got the following:

Thomas Cook- Britannia
JMC- JMC
Going Places- Airtours

I've obviously missed loads- could someone enlighten me?

This is with a view to working for a tour operator as a rep next summer.

The Guvnor
10th Sep 2000, 17:08
Way off base, my son...

Thompson Holidays = Britannia
Thomas Cook/Preussag = jmc
Cosmos = Monarch
Going Places = Air 2000
Airtours = Airtours plus various others
Libra = Sabre ... to name but a few.

Note that Preussag has recently acquired Thompson Hols, including Britannia, so expect Thomas Cook/jmc to be disposed of.

There's a general acceptance in the market that it's seriously 'oversupplied' at the bottom end; also the tour operators made a collective agreement that they wouldn't sell off capacity to third parties - in an attempt to knock out independent tour operators.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

ockham hold
10th Sep 2000, 20:44
Guvnor,
Going Places is owned by Airtours.

Mr Benn
11th Sep 2000, 01:11
Yeah, Going Places is definitely nothing to do with Air 2000.
Air 2000 is owned by First Choice who have their own agencies, often found in Asdas as well as in the High Street.
Its called "Travelchoice".
In fact, First Choice is the owner of the shops and of the airline Air 2000. First Choice owns a number of brands, including First Choice Holidays, Unijet, Hayes and Jarvis, Sovereign and Twenties.

Mr. Fussy
11th Sep 2000, 03:55
Unijet = Air 2000 (after the UK Leisure takeover)

Sovereign = Monarch

Can't think of anymore!

The Guvnor
11th Sep 2000, 07:21
Woops!! Made a bit of a dogs dinner there ... and I thought I knew this business!! You're absolutely right, I was confusing Going Places and First Choice. Of course, with the Preussag deal, all that's going to change ... yet again! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the guys in the charter biz - they have no idea who they are flying for from one year - or month! - to the next...

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)