PDA

View Full Version : East West Loco - One for you

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
8th Mar 2009, 09:55
The old girl is still going.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm327/andylitt/NAVYF-27VH-EWP.jpg

VH-XXX
8th Mar 2009, 10:01
There was something a little bit like this machine at Essendon yesterday. It was mostly white with a blue tail with writing up front down low. It may have even said Alliance. It was quite a large machine rivaling Dash-8 size, does anyone know what it was? (turboprop)

tail wheel
8th Mar 2009, 10:14
That would be an Alliance Fokker 50. looks similar, totally different technology.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/7/1/1384172.jpg

Check engines (PW127's versus RR Darts), props, wing tips, RH door, nose gear doors and windows. Different aircraft which didn't last long until Fokker went broke.

The photo Traffic_Is_Er_Was posted is the "real deal" - a Fokker F-27-500 Friendship, ex East West Airlines and I think now engaged on the Government LAMPS project. A DC3 replacement that built rural air services in Australia in the '50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's until the Dash 8 came along! :ok:

EWL will be ecstatic! :} :}

mostlytossas
8th Mar 2009, 10:16
Well someone better state the bleeding obvious... so my guess is that it was just that,an Alliance F50 probably from Adelaide collecting CFS personell and taking them back home.

VH-XXX
8th Mar 2009, 10:47
Thanks TailWheel the trusty moderator, it was indeed that aircraft or a similar one. Was surpised to see it in Melbourne as I've only seen them in Perth before in my travels and I like to keep away from Adelaide if I can.

ozaggie
8th Mar 2009, 10:52
I was going to post something quite sage but the Alliance reference in the last post was ridiculous. The original post had a photo of the RAN "lad's" hydrographic survey ship. The alliance F50 was photographed at West Beach, you ********! If you are going to post on this forum, get your **** together and post facts!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

VH-XXX
8th Mar 2009, 11:09
Someone's up late and should go to bed early so they get enough sleep to go flying under powerlines tomorrow. Thanks for making this a fun place to be!

topdrop
8th Mar 2009, 11:20
And for those monitoring the airwaves, EWP uses the callsign Navy Survey.
To the crew, when are you coming back North? As a controller I find you are always professional and a pleasure to work with. :ok::ok::ok:

Jabawocky
8th Mar 2009, 11:23
If you are going to post on this forum, get your **** together and post facts!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

Gee all those posts and you are the expert here :}

RAN Hydorgraphic ships...... ahhhh now something I do know a bit about, and who what where and how they were built! See below

Australian Hydrographic Service - Hydrographic Survey Vessels (http://www.hydro.gov.au/aboutus/our-ships.htm)

J:}

Capt Fathom
8th Mar 2009, 11:38
That would be an Alliance Fokker 50. looks similar, totally different technology.

Actually, it's an F27 Mk50 to be precise.

If you are are going to say a F27 Mk50 is not an F27, you may as well say a B747-400 is not a B747!

ozaggie
8th Mar 2009, 19:12
Jabawocky, you are so right and I am giving myself a severe dressing down! Should have known better than to post when I should have been nigh-nights. Apologies to all :zzz::zzz::O:O. Good link to the real Navy stuff. The F27 does LADS mapping.

peuce
8th Mar 2009, 21:13
Geez I miss the sounds of those Darts ..... sorry, what did you say ?

tail wheel
8th Mar 2009, 21:18
Capt Fathom is correct, however considering Fokker went to great pains to promote the F50 as totally new technology, I guess it would be fair to say it's relationship to an F27-100/200/500 would be about the same as the relationship between a B747-100 and a B747-400? :E

However, back to the LAMPS F-27............

over_centre
9th Mar 2009, 05:42
OK, call me old fashioned but gawd what a beautiful machine. Somehow the 50's just don't seem to compare (what does compare to a couple of Darts??).

Great to see EWP in such good, clean condition.

troppo
9th Mar 2009, 06:36
Mk 50. Does that mean it took 50 tries to get it right? I remember as a lad catching the NAC Friendship from Timaru to wellington. Can't replace the darts and the smell of A1.

Howard Hughes
9th Mar 2009, 06:46
what does compare to a couple of Darts
Sitting three inches from the speakers at a Metallica concert?;)

tail wheel
9th Mar 2009, 07:55
Darts. Speys. Pratt radials. Pratt JT3s. Goblins. Double Mambas. Gypsies. All the sights and sounds today's pilots may never know! :\

God I'm getting old! :(

185skywagon
10th Mar 2009, 06:32
Darts. Speys. Pratt radials. Pratt JT3s. Goblins. Double Mambas. Gypsies. All the sights and sounds today's pilots may never know!

God I'm getting old!
Geez Taillie,
you are sounding like Marvin the depressed robot.:(

I fear you may be right, however.
I can only say I have seen and heard Darts, Gypsies and Wright and Pratt Radials.
cheers,
me.

sms777
10th Mar 2009, 06:41
I do not miss the Darts..... I am putting up with bloody Metros 4 nights a week... :oh:

Valdiviano
19th Mar 2009, 10:36
SO..... where is, East West Loco these days???????????????? Have not seen a post from him for ages.............

john_tullamarine
19th Mar 2009, 11:06
A DC3 replacement that built rural air services in Australia in the '50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's until the Dash 8 came along!

Interestingly, only because Sir Donald ponied up with DCA dollars to lengthen all the airline runways to a minimum of 5000ft. Prior to that, AN/TN, or so I was reliably told as a young chap, were to take up the 748. Once the runway distance problem with the F27 was fixed, the extra 30 odd knots won the day and we all had our first exposure to turbines on the mighty Dogwhistle... and are now paying for it with industrial deafness ...

what does compare to a couple of Darts??.

Depending on your point of view, the AW650, now long gone from Oz night skies ... was either twice as bad, or twice as good.

Buster Hyman
19th Mar 2009, 12:14
I reckon LocoBloko's seen this thread & passed out! Better call Jetset DPO in the morning...