PDA

View Full Version : Well deserved awards for RAF & RN SAR crew

8th Mar 2009, 08:55
See here - very well done to Lee Turner and Rich Taylor.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/DB4BBEDB_1143_EC82_2E90B7B7979B662D.pdf

Congrats to the SH boys as well:ok:

Clever Richard
8th Mar 2009, 09:06
I remember seeing footage of the Riverdance on Sky News and still can't believe the SAR crew managed to rescue the passengers and crew.

Well done seems very inadequate.

CD

Jonwil
8th Mar 2009, 09:18
Looking at the flir footage it looks very similar to the Ice Prince incident when the Helo took off 12 crew shortly before I picked up some nice lengths of 4x2 off the south coast.
Were those guys mentioned in despatches?

SASless
8th Mar 2009, 14:03
Cpl Oswald's comments tell the real story.....these things are "Team" efforts and each member of the crew deserve recognition for their roles in the success of the missions.

3D CAM
8th Mar 2009, 14:28
Were those guys mentioned in despatches?

Errr...No!:confused::ugh:
But well done indeed to the RAF boys.:ok:
3D

Spanish Waltzer
8th Mar 2009, 15:21
Also worth mentioning that there was an AFC and QGM awarded to Capt & winchman of the RN SAR helo that went to Riverdance. Equally well deserved I'm sure. Good to see the SAR boys and girls being equally recognised whatever the colour of their beast.....bring on harmonisation....:ok:

Thanks SPlot - I thought the navy boys would not want to be left out! :D:D:D

Jonwil
8th Mar 2009, 17:16
3D

I meant to say just 'mentioned', but a slip of the tongue and the rest followed. Old habits eh!

Was the Riverdance beached during the rescue?

9th Mar 2009, 06:52
Jonwil - yes that was why it was so dangerous as it had the potential to roll over at any stage. The boats unpredictable movement was due to being battered by the high seas and 70 kt winds whilst being pushed against the shore.

I seem to remember the Ice Prince had a fair list on but nothing as bad as the Riverdance.

Senior Pilot
9th Mar 2009, 07:43
In the spirit of true recognition of all those involved, this MOD link (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/OperationalHonoursAndAwardsList6March2009.htm) has both RN and RAF aircrew awards.

NON-COMBATANT GALLANTRY
Air Force Cross (AFC)
Lieutenant Commander Martin Nicholas LANNI, Royal Navy
Lieutenant Michael Raoul PAULET, Royal Navy
Flight Lieutenant Lee Roland TURNER, Royal Air Force

Queen's Gallantry Medal (QGM)
Leading Aircrewman Kevin REGAN, Royal Navy
Master Aircrewman Richard Mark TAYLOR, Royal Air Force

Queen's Commendation for Bravery In The Air (QCBA)
Petty Officer Darren Andrew CRAIG, Royal Navy
Lieutenant Commander Martin John FORD AFC, Royal Navy
Master Aircrewman Duncan Alexander TRIPP, Royal Air Force
MoD Press release for HMS Gannet awards. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/HmsGannetsAircrewsAmassHonoursForLifesavingDeeds.htm)

I have also amended the title of this thread to reflect both services

Jonwil
9th Mar 2009, 07:45
Crab,

it must have had a fair list on because it sank!:bored: