PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth extraction

skidbuggy
8th Mar 2009, 00:35
Hi,

I'm scheduled to have my wisdom teeth extracted in a few days. About how long before I can fly again after the proceedure?

Thanks

Bealzebub
8th Mar 2009, 09:44
Had mine out a few years ago. I thought a couple of days off work should be enough, so I discussed it with my Fleet manager. We then rang my AME and between us decided that after a general anaesthetic 5 days minimum, would be prudent with the requirement to increase that time if it seemed necessary.

You need to get the effects out of your system, and both the effects and the length of time vary from individual to individual. In addition the surgery can leave some discomfort in your mouth as well as the possible need to be on antibiotics for a while.

The short answer is common sense and flexibility. Probably best to plan on around a week with the flexibility to extend or possibly reduce that time given your own set of circumstances.

Discuss it with your own AME and your company is probably the best advice I can give. You will be the best person to finally decide when you are "fit to fly."

gingernut
8th Mar 2009, 09:59
The surgeon will tell you about a week, in reality, it's about two.

Pace
8th Mar 2009, 10:56
Gingernut

To save starting another thread maybe you can advice me on a dental matter.

I am scheduled to have implant work. two of the implants do not have enough bone depth and the surgeon is talking about a sinus lift and allowing bone to form to give the required depth.

As a pilot and also someone who enjoys scuba diving should a sinus lift be cause for concern? Is this sort of work successful or am I opening a can of worms going ahead.

Pace

Charlie Foxtrot India
8th Mar 2009, 14:00
I had three out last year and took a week off.
The effects of the drugs I was put on gave me motion sickness and light headedness at first. Not good for flying! Fine after a week though.
Also there is the effect of Boyle's law on the sockets to consider.
Pain not a problem compared to living with a cavity in a wisdom tooth for several months waiting for the op. :{

An added bonus was that the haemotologist gave me a right talking to before putting me on cyklokapron prior to the op, and I've been seven months off the smokes as a result!

skidbuggy
8th Mar 2009, 14:03
Thank you so much for all the replies everyone.

gingernut
8th Mar 2009, 14:13
PACE, sorry mate, not my area of expertise.

AppleMacster
8th Mar 2009, 14:22
Skidbuggy,

I had four wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago under general anaesthetic, and agree with Gingernut that two weeks is a more realistic timeframe for getting back to work. The mouth seems to change shape on a daily basis after the operation and the pain/discomfort is too distracting for flying.

I hope the op' goes well,

Applemacster