PDA

View Full Version : What makes a GREAT airline livery?

The Guvnor
23rd Mar 2000, 10:54
As we have another thread on "what's the worst colour scheme" I thought I'd use this opportunity for some more consumer testing as I am currently involved with the design of colourschemes for our new L1011 fleet.

What is your favourite airline livery? What do you think makes it stand out from the others? What would be good colours to use - and what colours are best avoided? What sort of logos look good - and others loook cr*p?

The best answers get beers at the Ash Bash!!

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Bird Strike
23rd Mar 2000, 11:23
Something unlike BA ethnic tails (not unless you want to be a Lord).

A simple livery & logo in a color (or two) that looks smart will be nice.

[This message has been edited by Bird Strike (edited 23 March 2000).]

redsnail
23rd Mar 2000, 11:24
Some thoughts..some sensible, some frivolous.
Fuselage colour.
Anything that keeps clean and hides "blemishes". (my dad is a used car salesman!!)
White is traditionally the go and I suppose fairly cheap because every one gets their planes painted white. Also, if you need to flog them quickly it is a reasonably safe colour.
Light grey doesn't look too bad either.
Any other colour may spook the customer.
Tail and Logo.
A bold colour. Red or Blue seems to be the go. The logo emblem can reflect the country of operation. eg, Ansett has a stylised "star" in it, possibly taken from the Oz flag. (I don't know, just guessing). Qantas has a kangaroo. It can also reflect the company's logo or a stylisation of it. Once again, check out Ansett. Keep that logo for every thing, stationery, uniforms etc. Keeps the association going with the customers.
Keep the logo simple. You want kids to be able to recognise it. "Look Mum, there goes the XXX plane" A mix of these two concepts seems to work well.
Contrasting colour should be subtle but simple. Try gold trim as well. Check out QF's tail for what I mean. Gold is a "safe, secure colour".
Font on the fuselage... Bold and simple. Anything too fancy is a pain to read. Shows up poorly in photographs. I personally find the website emblazoned on the fuselage a bit "off". It must work though.

You are probably thinking "what would I know?" Since we do get a few charter companies into Cairns it is rather frustrating not knowing who the company is. If the tail design is supposed to tell the world who they are then it has have failed if I can't figure out where they are from.
My thoughts only :)

------------------
If you live long enough, you'll die of something!

Arkroyal
23rd Mar 2000, 11:35
Dark colours are very distinguished, BM's blue looks great, but not too practical if you leave the aeroplanes out in the hot sun and the APU isn't man enough to cool it.

Talking of BM, seen the new Sar Alliance A321? Hope that's not the future.

For the Tri-Star try 'hemp'. Used on the Air Force Nimrods to make 'em hard to see!!

railwaysengineer
23rd Mar 2000, 11:39
I remember an airline, of which the rig-out, the "outfit" of the a/c looked very nice in my eyes: Every a/c had its own colour all over the body, only the name of the airline ("court") was left blank. Every a/c was named "Halcyon <sun (with a yellow a/c)> or <sky (with a blue a/c)> a.s.o. Very nice looking in the former charter-world of my hometown (West)Berlin (so it was a british carrier). By the way: what happened with that carrier ? Never saw them somewhere. They had a "daughter" in the carribean world called "liat" (?) with the same outfit of a/c.

Wiley
23rd Mar 2000, 14:10
You’d go a long way to beat Saudia’s new colour scheme. Very swish and classy.

Mooney
23rd Mar 2000, 14:20
I like the TWA New scheme- BA old Scheme (To Fly to Serve)- Varig- and British World.

Smart- Classy- and recognisable :)

Captain Gidday
23rd Mar 2000, 14:37
Speaking of colour schemes kids can recognise, whenever my 3yo daughter sees a Lufthansa aircraft she says "look Daddy, another one of those knife and fork planes". I don't think that's what Hans Lufta intended with the crane logo but that's what it looks like to a kid. [Have a look next time].
The all time best colour scheme? American Airlines by far. Any and every aircraft looks great gleaming in the sun. Saves weight, STANDS OUT, forces the airline to wash its aircraft occasionally, more than can be said for most these days. Pity about the crevice corrosion and the extra maintenance but nothing's perfect.
BTW "new L1011 fleet"? Bit late for that innit?

Captain Flashart
23rd Mar 2000, 14:42
Railwaysengineer:Court Line went bust in August 1974. Best fun I ever had,but I was young then and...... :) :) :) and some http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Captain Flashart (edited 23 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Captain Flashart (edited 23 March 2000).]

Biggles Flies Undone
23rd Mar 2000, 15:01
I think light/mid grey and dark blue go well together – and Tristars look good with a two-tone upper/lower scheme. Logo should look modern, stylish and stick in the memory.

Court Line….I remember it being run by the guy in the bow tie. I think they got the first two ‘B’s’ on the UK register Tristars G-BAAA and G-BAAB (was there a C as well?). Memory is that the big new aircraft came along at a time when the IT market hit a sudden decline (was there a currency squeeze for travellers?). Also the cabin crew had colour-matched outfits to the garish paint schemes – a real nightmare if there was a last minute aircraft change :)

The Driver
23rd Mar 2000, 15:11
How about the Flying Tigers livery...this was a good one....pretty "cool cat" planes !!

------------------
FLY LOW,FLY FAST !!

HugMonster
23rd Mar 2000, 15:18
Avoid anything small and fiddly - look at the twiddly bits around Air India's cabin windows.

I wouldn't mind a job with the Woolly Pullies, but I don't like red - come to think of it, my current employer uses that - oops!

Good colours are dark blues, black, gold & silver.

Heard stories about Titan having a new scheme that sounded quite sexy, but haven't seen it yet, just the bad acid trip blues still...

Eecam
23rd Mar 2000, 15:34
For what its worth I think that a white fuselage (its clean and business-like) with the underbelly painted light grey up to the wing/fuselage join (ala Lufthansa, Air New Zealand - it hides all the stains). Simple titles in elegant font which don't extend below the window line. The vertical stab should be dark color with a contrasting, simple yet memorable logo.

If you look at Lufthansa, Ansett, Continental - they all look fantastic.

Can't wait to see your 'new' L1011s!

battwistingtastic
23rd Mar 2000, 16:23
The new Titan scheme is very classy; pobably my favorite.

Mexicana(?) had a good tail colour scheme which was to have a white company logo over a M C Esher style patterned background, with several different ones. Nothing too garish.

Self Loading Freight
23rd Mar 2000, 16:55
I asked around some of my pals...

Gazza: "Birds. With big bazongas."
Alex The Hippy: "Errr... Africa? Well. Zebra stripes. Or leopardskin. Yeah. No, no... fractals. That'd be cool. Not very African, though. What else've they got down there? Kalashnikovs and diamonds? Durban Poison? Yeah! Wicked! A big dope leaf on the tail!" (thanks, Alex).
Jenny (graphics designer/artist, so she should know): "Well, representational art is coming back, so if he's flying freight he could do them up in brown paper and string. Or that flying prune thing you were banging on about last week. What else were you telling me about airlines? How about a big pile of money at the front of the aircraft, with bits of it blowing off towards a plughole at the back."

I guess if you hang out with artists, you get what you deserve...

R (not helping much)

------------------
"...or we'll be up here all day..."

The Guvnor
23rd Mar 2000, 17:03
Good suggestions so far - beers all round, I think!

OK, so what do we have ... dark coloured tail(possibly including upper fuselage), and either all-over white, cream (as in Saudia and RAF Nimrods - except they call it hemp. Probably something to do with what the crews smoke to relieve boredom on those 19 hour missions!)

Simple logo and logotype, preferrably not looking like household implements. Also, ideally something that can be easily linked with the airline's name and/or ethnic origin.

Haven't seen the new Titan livery, but I did like the old one which by a strange quirk of fate had a cream all-over fuselage and deep blue tail with logo. Hang on ... just looked at Airliners.Net and there's a 146 (G-ZAPN) in a really wierd livery which looks like someone with a very severe astigmatism designed it!

Biggles - admit it. You just miss the old BA (or Caledonian!) scheme!! By the guy in the bow tie, are you talking about Vladimir Reitz? G-BAAA is with Aer Turas as EI-CNN, after having spent many years with CX.

By sheer coincidence, the two basic liveries I have been playing around with are:

1) Cream fuselage with deep blue tail and titles

and

2) Deep blue tail and upper fuselage, with thin emerald cheatline below solid colour, white belly. Titles would be in white.

OK, keep those ideas coming!!

------------------

newswatcher
23rd Mar 2000, 17:22
Guvnor,

I also give my vote to the curent Saudia look, is that because the previous was so dire? I also like the Royal Jordanian one.

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 23 March 2000).]

Biggles Flies Undone
23rd Mar 2000, 17:28
Guvnor, you're right I do miss that livery - just look at it now!

I don't think that was the guy. They were tied in with Clarkson's Holidays - my Dad worked for the shipping side and the guy was always known as 'Bowtie Bertie'. I think I'd recognise it if anyone suggested a name.

hacker
23rd Mar 2000, 17:35
Keep it simple and clean - bit like a best man's speach. The Hunting Cargo colours being case an point. That said, for sheer splendour and panache what could top the old Braniff schemes.

You could probably stick anything on a 1011 and it would still look pukka.

FE Hoppy
23rd Mar 2000, 17:43
Guv
Forget the Hemp. The variations we had at Kinloss went from Turd brown to Salmon pink.
white top, grey underbelly simple logo (primary colors not more than 3) Elegant sweeping curves give the impression of speed and grace. The logo or parts of it should be repeted ie fin/engines. Well this is what a graphic designer once told me. We were very very drunk.
E-me your pic's for a look

Jurassic Jet Man
23rd Mar 2000, 17:45
Simple and bright seems to be a good formula - look at Air Canada - outstanding yet simple. Virgin's new scheme has good visibility too. Safety/visibility must play a part.

FE Hoppy
23rd Mar 2000, 17:50
May I also recoment the avoidance of prunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Zimmerman
23rd Mar 2000, 17:57
When Goofairs Trimoths pitched up with that classy/corporate and clean scheme in the mid-seventies it looked stunning. Twenty five years on with very little modification it still looks corporate/classy and clean.

Captain Flashart
23rd Mar 2000, 18:23
Biggles--
Yes,when Clarksons went bust we (Court Line) bought them for,I believe £1 because they were most of our business. Unfortunately we inherited all their debts also and the rest is history. But that's another thread.
Pete Dibley? Mike Ellis? John?Young?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Biggles Flies Undone
23rd Mar 2000, 19:34
Well remembered Captain Flashart! I just called my Dad and it was indeed John Young :)

The Guvnor
23rd Mar 2000, 19:45
So not Tom Gullick then!

------------------

Mooney
23rd Mar 2000, 19:50
Guv,

Sounds great- I like the idea of the darker colour on the belly though....

Here's a smart 1011 pic ;
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=2187

The Old CX Colour scheme was nice to- may be you could so similar with blue :)

If you fancy going all bright and multi coloured- BA should have some spare paint :)

aisleman
23rd Mar 2000, 20:37
Crossair once had one of their aircraft (A Saab 2000, I believe) in an all black livery with white writing as a promotion for Les Miserables; very effective, though probably not very practical.

Otherwise, I think South African Airways have a good, clean design - all white except for the tail.

Aisleman

Denzil
23rd Mar 2000, 20:52
Guv, If you like it bright look at the new BWIA livery, in the flesh it looks well smart. The thing you must do is to get rid of that 60's polished (!) aluminium lower fuselage that Delta's had. The deep blue underbelly (ATA and Caledonian) look good and hide all the oil/dirt that accumulates over time. The Arrow freighters also looked good in white with "in your face" logo. The main problem with white is the mess they end up looking like after panels have been off & on a few times. The HF coupler access panel look a particular mess (look at any pics of Gulf a/c). It will be interesting to see your final decision.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

Conky Joe
23rd Mar 2000, 21:00
Just for you Captain Flashart! http://www.casco.net/~fitzrr/cour1011.jpg

Thought that someone might mention Court Line when I saw the thread title - both my parentals worked for them and pa, when in his cups, still regrets the MBO failing. My first trip in the jumpseat was at the ripe old age of 4 - is that one for another thread?

Sorry, Guvnor, doesn't help you in your colour schemes ...

[This message has been edited by Conky Joe (edited 23 March 2000).]

coco-nuts
23rd Mar 2000, 21:16
how about the thai colours,but i spose that it doesnt look very anglaise,still good on the eyes though.

strikemama
23rd Mar 2000, 22:10
the best liveries all have one thing in common: lack of the color green.

royal jordanian is so very swish now. totally classy. i also think that regional things are very very good and help your "recognizability" all over the place. how about a stylized lion head?

s

Conky Joe
23rd Mar 2000, 22:20
What? Does spouse of strikemama not have an opinion on this matter?? :)

Spotter
23rd Mar 2000, 22:51
Unfortunately the airline didn't succeed, but one of the best liveries i have ever seen was the Highland Express B747 G-HIHO. I'm not a fan of white all over apart from titles & tail...looks too much like an airline that can't afford to paint the a/c & probably wouldn't anyway in case they have to go back to the lessor in a hurry. I'm sure you could do them justice in dark green & gold trim.

spagiola
23rd Mar 2000, 22:52
Well, an all-white fuselage may look smart, but if the purpose of having a color scheme is to make you identifiable, why pick something that will make you a virtual clone of at least 20 other major airlines and countless small ones?
My vote is for color, and lots of it. Look at Tahiti Nui, or Air Jamaica, or the new BWIA. And sure, you can overdo it and come up with something hideous (see buzz) but that's true of pretty much everything.
One thing I would recommend is making sure the colors work well together. Sorry, but Saudia's tan fuselage and blue tail just clash too much for my taste.

FlyingV
23rd Mar 2000, 23:50
Originally posted by strikemama:
the best liveries all have one thing in common: lack of the color green.
s

Maybe theres a little national pride creeping into my opinion, but I am quite partial to the Aer Lingus green. Also like the new style shamrock. No mistaking EIs country of origin! And with the well displayed name & white lower half, I think it all adds up to a pretty good look.

I do agree that JMC green is enough to make anyone puke.

And, yes, Jordanian looks good.

Dan Winterland
24th Mar 2000, 00:24
One of the smartest paintjobs I have seen was the one on the prototype Citation X (I think). It was a series of flowing ribbons eminating from the nosecone. Could look good on an L1011 with all that body to cover.

avoman
24th Mar 2000, 00:30
I second Captain Gidday. I was a small impressionable kid in the fifties and privileged to fly on this then exotic mode of transport. My favourite livery was American Airlines! Shiny and classy then, on Constellations etc. Guess what - they haven't changed it in 40 years, cos it's still right! Less paint, more metal I say.

SunSeaSandfly
24th Mar 2000, 00:32
Depends on your intended market. Air Jamaica, Air Pacific both have bright and classy tropical colour schemes that make you feel on holiday. I doubt that type would be suitable for a shuttle the N.E corridor in the US. On the other hand, maybe they need cheering up.
:) :)

----------
fly low, bite hard

[This message has been edited by SunSeaSandfly (edited 23 March 2000).]

tarjet fixated
24th Mar 2000, 00:39
I love the UA scheme.....gray and blue,you can also play with grey and red....

Rockwell
24th Mar 2000, 02:25
EI-CNN was painted in Air Scandic black/yellow livery for last summer's
UK IT season. Now parked up at Abu Dhabi with the rest of the CKT L1011s.

For a look at the new Delta livery see: http://www.delta-air.com/inside/newlook/hires/index.jsp
Tail looks good, shame about the rest!

The jmc livery has to be seen in strong (e.g. Canary Is) sunshine to
appreciate the true colours. Admittedly on a grey dismal UK day it does
open up a discussion thread all its own! But the bottom line is it gets
the attention and you will remember it :) :) :)

L1011 CS-TEB of Air Zarco has been operating a few UK charters recently.
All white fuselage with single, very thin, light brownish line running
nose to tail along top of windows. The tail has three waving 'streamers'
of three shades of blue. Small, two shades blue, 'Air Zarco' titles
after front door.

Arkroyal
24th Mar 2000, 02:28
T F you are right. grey and blue, or blue and grey.

United is just an upside-down British Midland, which is cool for Star Alliance partners

ID90
24th Mar 2000, 02:54
Best livery..although I am far too young to have seen one in the flesh (honest guv), my vote goes to BOAC with those gold titles on dark blue stripes and fin.Very classy..Why did BA do away with the speedbird...

The Guvnor
24th Mar 2000, 03:00
Strikemama - I already have loads of stylised lions head's zooming around on LET410s and CL44s, so I want something new, I think!

V - I agree with you about the Aer Lingus colour scheme. Caledonian leased them an L1011 which was fully painted in their colours and it was stunning!

Yes, we want to go for something apart from the boring all-over white that everyone and his brother seems to be using; but at the same time I want to avoid the aluminium finish as used by AA and EA - it is very labour intensive as it needs to be polished frequently, not to mention the additional corrosion risk!

Keep up the suggestions - and thanks to all so far!

------------------

mach 84
24th Mar 2000, 03:07
in my oppinion the nicest painting of a 1011
is the royal jordanian. if you would have a similar one for your planes i definately would apply to fly for you.

[This message has been edited by mach 84 (edited 23 March 2000).]

GJB
24th Mar 2000, 03:21
I thought the old BA livery looked classy, but I think the new 'ethnic' tailplanes look hideous!
http://hometown.aol.com/MrDaiLo/SOHK.html

Some weird and wonderful pictures here with good links also.

Wino
24th Mar 2000, 05:51
From a bottom line point of view, the smartest one has to be American airlines they save hundreds of pounds by leaving all that paint off and apparently it turned out to result in LESS corrosion.

However, my personal favorite would harken back to the glory days of aviation (world war II) and would say that any paint job that features a naked lady will get my vote...

Wino

pigboat
24th Mar 2000, 07:49
The USAirways scheme looks good as did the CAI scheme before they got goosed and sold. Remember taxiing past a pink Court ten eleven once at YQX. My FO wanted to know if it was family owned and if there were any interior decorators in the family.

reverserdeployed
24th Mar 2000, 09:55
American Airlines - has to be.

All that shiny metal looks great and is very timeless. AA's had that logo forever and it still looks great.

If you're going to go big on colour, then do a sweeping cheatline that wraps around the nose a la Eastern Airlines, Iraqi (who?), Lanchile etc.

The old Northwest livery when it was Northwest Orient, and the Continental logo made a nice use of white with gold, red and orange.

CHUUK
24th Mar 2000, 17:49
Guv,

Please... don't you dare mess up a perfectly beatiful airplane like the L1011 with one of those corporate letterhead paint jobs of today! You know the type I mean... all white, big arial fonts, no stripes, etc...

What you need for those beauties are cheatlines... big ones! Old Cathay style, or even old Air Namibia style, God rest their souls <snif>. Aeroflot even looked good before they went with that "our engines and tail are on fire" scheme. Use a REAL font, not that Microsoft Word looking stuff :)

Cheers.

------------------
Preez mind dah pratform gahp.

strikemama
24th Mar 2000, 18:17
ok, how about a zebra or giraffe head? saa's springbok is certainly timeless and very recognizable.

how about one of those "all-over" animal kinda things a la shamu at swa? (that was spouse of strikemama who suggested that, spouse is pregnant, remember)

s

flying scotsman
24th Mar 2000, 23:03
Guv,
Do you remember those pens years ago that had beautiful women in swimming costumes........but when you turned (banked in this case) them the costume disappeared ?? Just a thought.

best of luck.......

------------------
Todays tip:.....No matter how good she looks, some man somewhere is sick of putting up with her s**t.

Mooney
25th Mar 2000, 00:47
http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/3/3705.jpg

Thats what makes a good livery!

Alpine Flyer
25th Mar 2000, 00:57
Polished Aluminum sure looks nice, especially if it*s a plane still made from the stuff. Our little prop-driven steeds have so much plastic on them you couldn't do a "blank" livery at all. (Remember even AA painting their F.100 bellies light grey?)

If blank is no option, I agree with dark colours.

Some "flying" symbol is nice too, and we shouldn't blame LH too much for using the crane, they have been faithful to it almost without variaton for quite some time.

I agree with SAS new not being very distinctive, although the crew uniform and all "accessory" styling is cool scandinavian.

Flowing flags on the tail are nice, too, but maybe not really fitting for a cargo carrier.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

Made me notice how infrequently I get to see "new" liveries in the backwaters of central Europe, had to look up most on airliners.net.

brianmay
25th Mar 2000, 01:35
I say Guv

Could we not paint them white all over with gold and platinum bijou bags with currency symbols on, such as £'s and $'s and more! With a corporate logo of 'Eat your heart out'.

Or is that a little too direct?

WebPilot
8th Sep 2000, 16:49
Like Alpine Flyer says, if there's vasty areas of composite or whatever, makes the nat al finish difficult - AA had big probs with their commuter BAe146 fleet (bought in from various mergers in painted schemes) which they wanted stripped to match the rest of their fleet in the face of technical advice from BAe bot to do it.

Nat metal does look good though.

I reckon the BOAC paint job for one of the most dignified schemes ever. A slightly modded version of that would have looked *really* good over a natural metal base.

Large areas of oranges/yellows are worth avoiding. Weathers badly and tends to look cheap - gives a bit of a 'third world' impression. Large areas of red also weather badly and look second hand fast. Blue is definately the colour to use for a superior impression. Cheatlines that give impression of speed with a 'dart' form are also good.

Enough teaching grannie to suck eggs, already.
But there's my ten penn'orth anyway.

Slasher
9th Sep 2000, 11:10
Guv just stick to a simple design. The odd stripe here, a swishy curve there.

Just dont use anything resembling horible pukey designs like the "Sydney Zoo" and "Mandela Dreaming" monstrositys splattered all over some White Rat 747s. It puts passengers (at least sane ones) off. They look bloodey awful. It even makes OUR pax puke when I taxy past the ugly damn thing in HKG!

WeatherJinx
10th Sep 2000, 00:04
Guv

Have you chosen a name for the venture yet?

It might be an idea to finalise this first, then to come up with a set of values, and links (i.e. the Africa thing, or whatever). Once you have these things agreed, it will be much easier to know where you're going...as an earlier poster said, different colours and combinations evoke different responses and impressions.

(For what it's worth, I used to love the Court Line a/c as a kid (very bold for the time), and Lufthansa's logo also perfectly embodies their own image). My favourites? Currently the latest (non-ethnic) BA livery (but I did like the idea behind the ethnic tails), and KLM a/c look smart, and stand out - a testimony not only to good use of colour, but also to good typographic design - the unsung hero of commercial art.

The one thing that all the above logos and colour schemes have in common is good typography - for instance BA paid a fortune to have their own font designed.

The payoff for BA comes with the fact that no matter what a BA ad might say, you know it's theirs before you've even read it. They truly *own* their identity.

The most memorable logos start from the simplest ideas, which remain at the core of the brand and evolve only in the most subtle, gradual stages. For example, look at Kodak. Instantly recognisable the world over, and yet you'd think it had always been the same. A closer look at their packaging and advertising over the past fifty years or so, however, would reveal lots of tiny, staged evolutionary changes. Hope this helps.

WxJx ;)

PS Trivia question!!

As a small child in the mid-seventies my interest in airline identities, and indeed aviation, was sparked by a Cadburys promotion whereby you ruthlessly ate/stole/bribed friends for chocolate wrappers, until you managed to accumulate a veritable mountain of the things, and sent off for (what was at the time) the most amazing tri-fold presentation pack, which was then studded with buttons representing all the major airlines' tail designs...Anyone else remember that? :) :)

The Guvnor
10th Sep 2000, 00:48
Yes - I do remember that - in fact, I had it myself!! Curly Wurlies, if I'm not wrong... :) :) :)

The key to any corporate identity is to have it done professionally - and that costs a lot of money. We've been quoted over £1m for a complete package by the same people that did BA's new First, Concorde and Club World interiors; SAA, SAS, Saudia Arabian, Air Canada and LAN Chile corporate identities.

It has to carry over well to all aspects of a company's business - with BA, for example, it's not the tails: though that's what gets them noticed; it's their 'speedmarque'. You see that anywhere, and instantly it's BA. Same as the Adidas check mark.

Definitely not the sort of thing you can get done at your local Prontaprint - though strangely, loads of people try every year! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

------------------

Petergozinya
10th Sep 2000, 01:07
Pale silver. Reserve space anywhere on the airframe for your biggest contracts logos. Allow them to advertise on your planes. Kind of like the US postal service does.

traveler
10th Sep 2000, 16:33
Just went through all the L-1011's on airliners.net to see what's been done in the past. And for some reason nobody seemed to be able to make that plane look fast. So distinctive is your option I suppose. Most I found just bad, but the old BA was pretty sharp. (see http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=99188 )
However you indicated no white. I agree. Than Royal Jordanian is the best looking existing L-1011. (see http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=87779 ).
I like the subtle stripes on the tail under the crown. And you can darken the belly of course. Good luck.

MileHi
11th Sep 2000, 19:20
Keep it simple, clean but bright. The Ansett tail looks great, so to does the South African look. Trend seems to be to drop the words "Airlines / Airways" and go just for a name. Saudia, Sri Lankan, Emirates etc. Although I must add that the new Emirates colors are not much of an improvement on what they had before. Sri Lankan on the other hand - 10/10 !

G-OOFY
15th Sep 2000, 19:25
Guv Don't paint the upper part of the A/C a dark colour as this will screw the APU up as it did to FedEx's DC-10's. Recommend white esp. if going to hot climates. Light Grey also hides the dirt.

Smurfjet
19th Sep 2000, 02:18
Is this classy or what? :)

http://airliners.net/photos/big/0/00274_JetAv_CV880_BSL77_1024.JPG

Oleo
19th Sep 2000, 05:25
It has to be dark blue!! It just looks soooo good on aeroplanes! Grey for practicality on the belly and some red and white pizazz. So chic, so sexy.
http://airliners.net/open.file?id=71132

I'm sorry Smurtjet but that might have looked classy in 1952. Errrkkk! (Sorry)

togaroo
19th Sep 2000, 16:18
As long as it keeps clean, it shouldnt matter too much, but white has been done to death lately. I would like to say that RB's Virgins look smart being silver & red they stand out like the proverbial. Red on the tail is good!! but BA blue grey certinally must have kept the cost down on cleaning bills!!

------------------
Its life Jim, but not as we know it!!

Airline Pilot Wannabe
19th Sep 2000, 17:41
I think Air 2000's OLD livery was good. - It was plain, with just two simple colours against a white back ground! Thumbs up from me!! :-D

Although, I do like Air 2000's NEW livery, I have seen their planes take off, and they stand out!! Right away you can tell that it is Air 2000. (I can also say the same for easyJet!! :rolleyes :)

JMC, I am beginning to like, although it had to grow on me first. (Again, it stands out in the sky!)

Britannia is quite good as well!!

Diesel8
23rd Sep 2000, 06:45
The old British Airways paint scheme is the best.