PDA

View Full Version : Car Imports

Hugh Jorgen
31st Jan 2000, 01:06
Need a new car, anybody picked up any info on nightstops, looks like buying in the UK is not smart but who can I trust my money with. H E L P ! ! !

Mr Magoo
31st Jan 2000, 01:17
Hugh,

Send ALL your dosh to me, I'll invest it in a nice new JAA ATPL for myself. - I've got a 1976 Robin Reliant in exchange, (but you'll have to make up the difference in cash).

Capt Homesick
31st Jan 2000, 02:47
I only looked into it for MGFs; by buying in Germany the 1.8i cost about 5k less, and came with a slightly higher spec. If possible, just drop into a showroom for whatever marque you like on a nightstop.
Allegedly, the Netherlands is even cheaper for MGs, but it varies country to country depending on the manufacturer.
If you don't want to have the hassle with languages, ordering RHD specially, etc, why not try international directory enquiries for car dealers in Eire? BY using Ryanair, it's near enough free when you compare it to the cost of the car.

Rigsby
31st Jan 2000, 03:26
MGF's......not a hairdresser in your time off are you??

Fright_level
31st Jan 2000, 15:49
Dubai good source for gas guzzling LHD 4wds.
Al Tyer motors will sell you a cheap Discovery or Range Rover which you will have to own for at least 6 months before importing to UK without paying duty. Had to have my V8 Discovery fitted with Cat converter to satisfy DVLA which costs around 3000 sterling. Lost some BHP. Interesting to note that I could have imported a smoke screening diesel without mods.Typical senseless application of rules! Al Tyer had a 4.0 Rangerover for sale for about 21K in 98.Best time to buy is during the "Dubai shopping festival" in April.

StopStart
31st Jan 2000, 16:03
Buying on the continent is all the rage amongst colleagues at work. Order by Fax, wire them the cash, pop over to Belgium and drive it home. Examples that spring to mind are Fiat 20V turbo for £17K (£21K UK) and BMW Z3 2.8 £23K (£28K UK). I think the Top Gear website has some blurb about it. There are quite few dealers now just over the channel that deal purely with RHD cars now. The only thing you don't get is the extended warranty available in the UK. Most manufacturers warranty the car for a year with the dealership bumping it up to 2 or 3 years. Continental cars come with the 1 year warranty and you can buy an extended warranty for about £400 - no great shakes there then. Don't believe UK dealers who witter on about UK spec etc. Continental specs are usually much higher than the UK ones (with things like aircon. alloys, leather included in the basic price).
If you've got a pile of cash burning a hole in your pocket buying on the continent is the way ahead. Alteratively check out the Sunday broadsheets - there's always loads of people flogging low age/mileage continetal purchases cheaper than UK prices.

Flypuppy
31st Jan 2000, 16:11
If you live in the south east of England, it may be worth giving P&O Stena at Harwich a call. They can arrange a trip over on the fast ferry and contact dealerships in Hoek van Holland and Rotterdam who are more than willing to sell you RHD cars.
I live close by and the dealer who just delivered my (Cloggie LHD) company car was desperate to get my father to come into his showroom to do a deal for importing into the UK. Here is an example, the old fella showed interest in buying a Volvo V40 2.0 16v, once it was loaded with all the toys like onboard trip computer, GPS Nav system, A/C leather seats alloy wheels etc., the saving was not a kick in the @rse away from GBP6.5k. Alot of that was due to the exchange rate between the pound and the euro, which at the moment is the best way of paying. The cloggies are pretty good at speaking English but if you need an interpreter just give me a shout.

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Flypuppy
31st Jan 2000, 23:43
This might help...http://www.posl.com/press/default.html

7ac
1st Feb 2000, 01:54
Various thoughts - if you want to sell it again at a reasonable price look at Southern Ireland 'cos if the service book says a foreign supplier then people will bid you down - if it is from an Irish supplier the shallower end of the gene pool won't notice ! There are some cracking deals to be had in the UK at present - I got 2 grand off a V70 plus 3.5% finance in October - OK a V70 may not be everyones desire but you get the drift. Be bold and there are deals which match the continent around. Don't forget that if you buy one abroad , the local dealer will treat you like a leper if you want warranty work doing. Happy shopping

Vmike
1st Feb 2000, 04:28
I think, in fact I'm almost certain, that if you buy, say, a Toyota from a toyota dealer in, say, Holland, your local Toyota dealer is bound - by law - to honour the warranty and provide all servicing etc as if you'd bought it from him.

P & O have today started a service where they will find you the car of your dreams in Euroland and ship it over, deliver it to your door and charge you anywhere between 5% and 20% less, depending on make and model, than it would cost you from the UK dealership up the road.

Sounds good to me. Now all I need is the dosh for a new car!

Flat Side Up
1st Feb 2000, 04:34
Interesting concept that after all the talk of "foreign' pilots depriving UK pilots of employment but it's OK when it comes to car dealers.

Jack The Lad
1st Feb 2000, 04:38
Flat side up, don't be a prat! Eu pilots are welcome in the UK, just as their cheaper cars are. If you don't meet the spec, that's your fault buddy. We're in the EU now, like it or not.

Vmike
1st Feb 2000, 04:44
..provided they speak the lingo. In theory, Brits are employable in every EU country as well but when I phoned KLM they told me that one of their requirements was that you had to speak fluent Dutch. Granted, we Brits have always been lazy about learning languages but....Blooody Hell!!!!!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but who the **** speaks Dutch, other than the Dutch, effectively making KLM a Dutch-only employer, whatever EU rules might say about it.

airbourne
1st Feb 2000, 04:51
Hugh,

If you are coming to Ireland there are a few garages to check on, Sorry I dont have tel numbers.
Merlin Motor City, Long mile road
Alan Dorgan Motors, Monkstown (BMW,Merc)
Aston Cars, Tallaght (BMW,Merc,hi-spec)
Stuarts Garages, Tallaght (main Rover/MG)
Hope this helps and you should get a good deal for STG against Irish punt. If you need any more help e-mail me.

Flying Banana
1st Feb 2000, 05:02
hugh jorgen, check out Auto Express magazine, a while back they published a special edition which i think is still available just on importing, loads of great info, websites, dealers, examples of what's on offer and full guide on what to do.Example I know of is full rhd spec Scooby Impizza Turbo nutter B**t**d fully loaded for 16900 from dealer in Holland

Cheapest definitely seems to be Edam country, however, watch out for ridiculously long delivery times, manufacturers latest dodge to put people off.

Alternatively pay our 'entirely reasonable' UK prices after all we're not being ripped off, no sir, this is cool britannia, new britain, new labour, new taxes, and we've got a nice shiny dome and lots of Tony's bloody nice blokes telling us what to do.

Sorry I'm ranting again, it just makes MY BLOOD BOIL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Flat Side Up
1st Feb 2000, 05:26
Well Jack,
When you make assumptions you are bound to be in error and you are.
Have absolutely no desire to live or work in the EU. Enjoy a much better lifestyle,weather, job and pay where I am. You bunch are always talking of of protecting jobs for UK pilots and often rail about your Euro counterparts. You lack consistency.
Oh, forgot to mention I do have right of abode. Don't choose to exercise it!

[This message has been edited by Flat Side Up (edited 01 February 2000).]

Mr A Tis
1st Feb 2000, 06:44
Well youv'e flown the airline, drank the Cola, worn the clothes, seen the cosmetics, tasted the Vodka, waited for the train, tried to work the phone...................
yes, cuddly Richard is reported ( according to Sky) to be launching virgin cars.com-- buy your Virgin motor on the www from March this year !! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Nightflyer
1st Feb 2000, 19:28
I have imported two Nissans from Denmark, a Primera 2.0SE Estate for £12,000 (List £21,000) and just recently a new Terrano II 5 door SE Touring 2.7 TDI for £16,500 (list UK £25,180) Both were ordered through the main Nissan dealer at Esbjerg and both vehicles were full RHD UK spec with 3 year Pan European warranty. You pay 20 deposit and delivery is 2-3 months. Call Han Larsen on 0045 75152000. They will ship the vehicle over to Immingham near Hull for £150 and you drive is home without plates. You then take your Invoice, supplied Cert of Conformity to the DLVA and they will register it for you. The vehicle is imported free of an Danish taxes. You get a bill from HMCE for the VAT about 2 weeks later and you have 4 weeks to pay. Dead easy. Don't under any circumstances by a new car in the UK.

Doors to Automatic
1st Feb 2000, 22:31
Nightflyer,

Are the prices you quote excluding or including VAT? (i.e. If I was importing the Primera would I have to pay 17.5% on top of the £12000?)

2R
1st Feb 2000, 22:37
How about buying aircraft on the mainland as opposed to U.K. prices?,any thoughts

jagman
1st Feb 2000, 23:33
Christ!!!
There sure are some rich dudes out there.
Now where CAN i buy that aeroplane.....

Nightflyer
1st Feb 2000, 23:54
Originally posted by Doors to Automatic:
Nightflyer,

Are the prices you quote excluding or including VAT? (i.e. If I was importing the Primera would I have to pay 17.5% on top of the £12000?)
Yes that includes UK VAT. Denmark is the cheapest place in Europe.

Snubber
2nd Feb 2000, 03:06
jikjjujhn j

[This message has been edited by Snubber (edited 02 September 2000).]

Flypuppy
2nd Feb 2000, 12:36
Snubber,
I have just taken delivery of a Focus. send me an email if you want details and/or a contact at a Cloggie garage.

------------------

trustno1
2nd Feb 2000, 13:06
Check out this site.
http://www.carimporting.co.uk/reports.htm

surface wind
2nd Feb 2000, 13:40
If you travel to Northern Ireland there are several dealers that will import cars for you. As the exchange rate is so good there are good savings to be had. One dealer I can recommend who I have bought of is

Sam Thompson Motors of Dromore

If you want their number e-mail me at

[email protected]

newswatcher
2nd Feb 2000, 15:44
If you don't want the hassle of importing, then check out Tradesales at Slough and Motorpoint in Derby. They offer new/nearly new cars at considerable discounts. Have been "endorsed" by QW from Top Gear. Also by UK DT.
=============================================
Selling your Granny

I HAVE a 1994L, 75,000-mile Ford Granada Scorpio 2.9i which covers mainly short journeys, on which the fuel consumption is punishing. I understand that I can expect trouble from the automatic gearbox fairly soon. If I were to add £10,000-£15,000 to the Scorpio's trade-in value, what would be the best replacement?
W.W., Stourport

YOU'LL get £3,500-£4,000 in a private sale - and there's no need to spend £10,000-£15,000 on a replacement. Car supermarkets such as Trade Sales of Slough or Motorpoint of Derby should be able to put you into a 1999T Mondeo 2.0iLX or GLX, with air-conditioning and automatic transmission, for £8,500-£9,500. You won't get quite the Scorpio's ride quality, but the Mondeo is a better car.
=============================================
Nothing special, but lots of Fords, Vauhalls, Renaults etc.

Price list in motoring section of UK Daily Telegraph most Saturdays. See also:

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/frame.htm

Lon More
2nd Feb 2000, 15:57
Further to the posts of Flypuppy and Vmax there was an announcement in the Dutch papers yesterday that, as a result of complaints of unfair pricing in some EU countries, Dutch new car prices will go up by 9 - 10%.This in order to maintain the dealer's profit margins. I suppose other countries will follow soon.You didn't think prices everywhere would go down?

------------------
Lon More,just an ATCO

[This message has been edited by Lon More (edited 02 February 2000).]

Doors to Automatic
2nd Feb 2000, 16:00
Nightflyer,

Many thanks for the information. I know where I will be going for my next car!

DH2O
2nd Feb 2000, 16:43
Originally posted by Vmike:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but who the **** speaks Dutch, other than the Dutch, effectively making KLM a Dutch-only employer, whatever EU rules might say about it. [/B]

In response to your question - Me!! Do you still have the telephone number for KLM??

DH2O
2nd Feb 2000, 16:46
Originally posted by Vmike:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but who the **** speaks Dutch, other than the Dutch, effectively making KLM a Dutch-only employer, whatever EU rules might say about it. [/B]

In response to your question - Me!! Do you still have the telephone number for KLM??

Doors to Automatic
2nd Feb 2000, 19:25
Nightflyer,

Do you happen to know of any BMW dealers in Esbjerg? Thanks in anticipation!

Nightflyer
2nd Feb 2000, 21:43
Originally posted by Doors to Automatic:
Nightflyer,

Do you happen to know of any BMW dealers in Esbjerg? Thanks in anticipation!
Tel: 0045 75 181033 fax 0045 75 13 69 33
I popped in to see them on recent visit. They are quite happy to supply UK spec cars and they do speak English. Esbjerg is the best place as there is a pax ferry service to Harwich and a freight service to Imminghamnear Hull. Don't use brokers. Go direct to the main line dealers. They are hungary for the business. The local tax on Danish cars is 59%!!!

Dragshoot
2nd Feb 2000, 22:50
Just ordered a new Toyota Celica from a Dealer in Haarlem (about 10km from AMS). Paying approx £14,500, List price UK £20,500 for the same spec.Deposit is 25 percent Delivery 5-6 months.- Well Chuffed!!

Vmike
2nd Feb 2000, 23:25
DH20
So, you're the one!!
I stand corrected, but the principle still applies.

Vmike
2nd Feb 2000, 23:31
DH20
So, you're the one!! I stand corrected.
But the principle still applies. No obscure lingo = no job.
Sorry, I don't have KLM's number anymore, I chucked it in the bin in disgust, but I'm sure they're based at Schipol to try Directory Enquiries.

Flypuppy
3rd Feb 2000, 02:03
Hey Vmike,
I speak that funny noise that is the Dutch language as well and I aint no kaaskop! I only learnt it to find out if the missus was swearing at me ;)
KLM still won't give me a job though...

DH20,

These are the minimum requirements that appear on the KLM website ( http://jobs.klm.com/) :
In possession of a theoretical B1 (Dutch written APTL); or a valid and current ATPL, that fullfils the requirements for a Dutch license.
In possession of a practical B3 license with Instrument Rating (Dutch CPL).
Large flying experience of which at least 500 hours on multi engine aircraft from 12.500 lbs. and more.
Minimum age: 21 years.
An education on the level of at least college, including mathematics.
Speaking Dutch before entering KLM.
Holder EC passport.
Max length of 2.03 m (over 1.90 M specific requirements).
It is with regret that we have to inform you that at the moment there are no vacancies for pilots with our company, there for we do not start selection procedures for pilots.
Address:
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
SPL/NF
PO Box 7700
1117 ZL Schiphol, The Netherlands

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flypuppy (edited 02 February 2000).]

Doors to Automatic
3rd Feb 2000, 03:31
Nightflyer,

You are a star! Thanks very much for the information.

flexmode
3rd Feb 2000, 14:32
For sale: Audi 80 Avant TDI (german license), 135000km, black metallic. 8200 pound. Hard to find these cars.

newswatcher
3rd Feb 2000, 15:31
Frightlevel,

In case you thought of going, I think the Dubai Shopping Festival is 1-31 March, not April.

You could always try and win a Roller!

"The government has ordered 31 Silver Seraph models. One will be raffled each day during the Dubai shopping festival in March. The odds of winning one of the cars are 5,000-1 with only 5,000 tickets available for each of the daily draws. A ticket will cost £34. A Silver Seraph would cost £158,333 in a Dubai showroom, but the exact terms of the 31-car deal have not been disclosed."

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 03 February 2000).]

Akwah_Plain
3rd Feb 2000, 18:07
Can recommend a BMW dealer in Heemstede (near Haarlem), Holland. Saved about £5K, very helpful dealership, & Dutch/UK paperwork is a breeze (everything in UK through local VRO - since last summer - Customs couldn't cope with the deluge of personal imports). I've got a breakdown of the paperwork requirements if anyone wants to e-mail me for them. Not sure if post about change of Dutch prices would reduce savings somewhat.

Autobedrijf Boekenroode BV
Cruquiusweg 25
Postbus 177
2100 AD HEEMSTEDE
HOLLAND
Tel: 00 31 23 528 52 84
Fax: 00 31 23 528 56 55
(Attention: Folker van Oort)

Hugh Jorgen
5th Feb 2000, 00:16
Thanks guys totally brill info, and thanks to pprune for saving lots of dosh. Money saved I will spend on drink, gambling and fast women - the rest - I'll just squander it !!!
Thanks again

Barcli
5th Feb 2000, 00:55
check out www.broadspeed.co.uk, (http://www.broadspeed.co.uk,) uk list on 5dr discovery auto £28k, broadspeed quoting me £18500 delivered to the door incl vat, rfl etc..

Capt Homesick
5th Feb 2000, 05:45
Rigsby:
Hairdresser? No, just young enough to like going fast close to the ground, still in possession of a full head of hair, and living within a few miles of roads that reward superglue-like road holding and brisk acceleration, without top speed really being an issue. Also, no need for more than two seats, just as long as I can fit a pair of skis somewhere once in a while. Although the 200bhp supercharged version does have a certain appeal....

Doors to Automatic
5th Feb 2000, 15:57
Thats www.broadspeed.com (http://www.broadspeed.com)

ALTSELGREEN
5th Feb 2000, 21:24
And if anyone is thinking of importing new or used fom Japan try www.mvi-services.com (http://www.mvi-services.com)
Very good..........

Tiger Feet
7th Feb 2000, 03:15
ALTSELGREEN

Thanks for posting the Japanese website. Unfortunately it hasn't answered some of my questions. If you know any more about importing from Japan could you please help.

Do you know what advantage, if any, there is to importing via Ireland?

If so, what procedures do you follow once it has arrived in Ireland.

Mr A Tis
12th Feb 2000, 23:02
Anyone, by chance, know of anyone who has bought a car thro' Hodgsons Import Brokers on the WWW?? If so appreciate some info.
Thanks

ALTSELGREEN
13th Feb 2000, 22:39
Hello Tigerfeet...MVI import the vehicles via Holland. You have nothing to do if you choose their UK on the road option. The car arrives in the UK, they pay all the freight and import charges, carry out all necessary conversions(speedo km-mph, fuel filler, radi expander, fog light etc). They then register the car, and you collect it all mot'd and taxed and drive it away.They will deliver if required. They also have a UK website www.mvi-services.co.uk. (http://www.mvi-services.co.uk.) Have a look. If you have any questions the guy to speak to is Mark Bremner...

Fright_level
14th Feb 2000, 00:31
Tiger feet,
Believe that the enormous cost of putting a car through the Japanese MOT test after a couple of years means that there is a huge second hand market for these vehicles.
Am sure that someone else will have some up-to-date info>
Best of luck.
PS. Newswatcher, Thanks for correcting me on the Dubai shopping festival dates. On my present Italian salary I don't think I could afford to make an offer on Trotters 3 wheeler so forget the Silver Seraph!