PDA

View Full Version : Do you know the term "Redeye"

Lan Ding Gere
5th Sep 2000, 15:01
Can anyone help with the term "Redeye" ? Not the morning after "Redeye", after a heavy drinking session

Does anyone know what it means ?

forget
5th Sep 2000, 15:17
It means an el-cheapo overnight flight, usually in the US, that gets you there at an ungodly hour. Hence the Red Eyes.

pinky
5th Sep 2000, 19:25
Not always a cheapo flight.. I fly to NY on the redeye reasonably often. It's the most convienient flight for work. You fly and sleep overnight and arrive in JFK ready to go straight to the office in the morning, no time wasted, no meetings missed.. and wonderful service from the boys and girls at American..

What_does_this_button_do?
5th Sep 2000, 20:18
Pinky clearly refers to the First Class cabin. You get off with red eyes in cattle class.

;)

ExSimGuy
6th Sep 2000, 15:29
Nah! You have a nice meal of Baby-backs at Tony Romas, a few beers in the pub, board US-Air's 23:30 at SeaTac, get the nice Flight Attendant (Unless it's Effo the Effay!) to give you several G&Ts, fall happily asleep until you arrive at PHL at 7:30 am local time, being awakened by the gentle kiss of the wheels on the tarmac.

Last time I tried it, I woke, looked out of the window, realised that the reason I could only see half a wing was not calamitous, just fog - I had a connection to BOS, but we were the only plane to successfully land and I had to wait till the fog burned off for the dealyed flight to BOS.

Still, I'd reccommend the system!!

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

Mark 1
6th Sep 2000, 16:37
But seriously....

Maybe you mean the effect of sustained negative g, where blood vessels in the retina get swolen causing a reddening of the vision.
A couple of outside loops in an Extra 300 should prove the point.

What_does_this_button_do?
7th Sep 2000, 14:45
A simpler answer would be:

Stay up all night, have a few drinks and then look in the mirror - you will have red eyes.

If you travel overnight on lang haul and you are in cattle class and can't sleep you will be awake all night and get off the plane with red eyes.

AntiCrash
12th Sep 2000, 06:00
I'm pretty sure that a "Red Eye" refers to the condition that the "A Scale" Guys get from trying to count all that money.

woftam
12th Sep 2000, 08:25
As distinct from "brown-eye".
:)

STP
12th Sep 2000, 12:10
I don't suppose it could be the effect that one gets when taking flash photos when the reflection from the retinas through dilated pupils comes out as red on the resulting photograph could it?

2Donkeys
12th Sep 2000, 13:17
Pinky

I thought you were London-based. Which overnight flight leaves London, travels overnight, and arrives in New York for breakfast...

pinky
13th Sep 2000, 12:36
Actually I was thinking more of the return journey - 6.30'ish from JFK getinto Heathrow around 6.30 in the morning.. American Airlines.. And I don't always go first sometimes I have to go Business ;)

[This message has been edited by pinky (edited 13 September 2000).]