PDA

View Full Version : Safety of staff in outports

Near Miss
7th Mar 2009, 07:23
I read with great disgust, that due to the GFC, we should be looking at every opportunity to increase revenue, even if that means we now layover in countries that were previously considered unsafe. How can the company in their right mind (maybe that’s the problem) expect their staff to stay in these places? I do not care whether it is 48hrs, 24hrs, or whatever. To have crew essentially imprisoned in their hotel room is unethical. I wonder if Management would be so willing to have their families accompany us. I am all for the company to make a profit, for it directly affects me, but this is just pure selfish greed.

If this is a bit vague to some, it is intentional. Those that have read the weekly piece of propaganda put out by the company know what I am on about.

ALPHA FLOOR
7th Mar 2009, 07:50
In the same piece of propaganda - our colonial master neglected to report that last week an aircraft was sent to India on a normal schedule rostered flight and the crew waiting to return it to HKG were NOT type qualified - this was discovered when they got on board and noticed it had 4 engines and their licences said they can fly one that only has 2 (a very reliable source tells me). Resultant delay 15+ hours and 200+ hotel rooms at the regal and countless missed connections. We are constantly reminded of the "Financial tsunami" & "Cost crisis"........

AFL

slapfaan
7th Mar 2009, 15:51
this was discovered when they got on board and noticed it had 4 engines

My goodness...glad I didn't fly with THAT crew, so much for their situational awareness..:eek:

Even some small kids can tell what aeroplane type they will be flying in, before they get onboard, by just looking out of the airport buildings window!!

AAIGUY
7th Mar 2009, 17:13
Not fair. I often rock up @ an outport and have no view of the A/C
due to the ****ty airport design( not an issue @ KA on the 330)
Entirely possible if they didn't notice till
They got to cockpit.

Not like in HKG with a crew bus dropping you off outside.

jetset
7th Mar 2009, 22:01
The staircase might have been a hint! :}

the reo
7th Mar 2009, 22:24
What stair case?
Half the terminals and airbridges you CANNOT see the external view of the aircraft.
Half the outports you don't get the paperwork till on board, therefore you can't see the registration or type either.

CokeZero
8th Mar 2009, 01:05
Airbus not Boeing

Near Miss
8th Mar 2009, 03:18
Not wishing to get in the way of a great story, but the crew did actually notice BEFORE they got to the cockpit. Handed the paperwork at the gate just before walking down the aerobridge, looked out the window and saw a pair of CFM56’s hanging under the starboard wing. The way this story is growing it won’t be long and it will be “The crew finally noticed they had a 340 when the PF called ‘Start engine 1’ and saw four Engine Master Switches.” Give your colleagues a bit of respect. How do I know all this? The Townsville Refueler told me (and my wife who was one of the cabin crew). Anyway, bit of a thread drift don’t you think?

pacific blues
8th Mar 2009, 04:49
this "you can only fly the 330 before the 340" nonsense is a joke.