PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Life In Windhoek and Maun

skater3260
6th Mar 2009, 23:59
Hi all,

I am a PPL in the United States working towards my CPL, and really want to head off to Windhoek or Maun for a charter job come October/November. There are many questions I have about daily life as a pilot at either of these locations and advice for getting a job.
-Which location offers a better chance at getting hired?
- Do you receive employee benefits (insurance) or just a paycheck?
- Has anyone gone down there with loans to pay off? The monthly payment for my flight training loan is US$330 or about 3300 pula- how much of your monthly income will that eat up?
- I have a particular interest in working for Sefofane or Mack Air- can anyone tell me what working for them is like?

The greatest obstacle I’ll have concerns prescription meds (FAA approved, I have my 1st class medical). I take a few for a digestive problem that is under control, but am unsure of their availability in these locations, or whether it’s best to maintain my domestic health insurance and have them shipped to me, or get a policy out there and work with a local pharmacy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

skater3260
7th Mar 2009, 14:02
Thanks DDMow, your info along with the other thread answered many of my questions and show that I'm not in a tough spot as far as the pharmacies are concerned. I will try to avoid things sold on the street!
The recession certainly has taken a toll on everything, but most of us must be praying that it will swing around in time for next season. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
The charter company I work at as a lineman here in the states have seen a dramatic reduction in our piston charters, but the turbine charters are still doing quite well. Of course, I rely on the Baron flights to build time on the dead legs!
I forgot to ask before about purchasing a car/motorcycle there- whether it's a good idea and how much they cost, as well as if employers are able to work out a low interest loan with a dealer. Any thoughts?

sslut
7th Mar 2009, 20:08
Just beware of Curmudgeon and his aide de camp Short man that will hold you down and pour copious quantities of mampoer down your gullet. Don't be scared of night stops in Maun anymore BE VERY SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

BBN RADAR
7th Mar 2009, 22:06
Skater,

read the thread titled "more info for those (low timers) seeking a job in Namibia" - it's got some good info for you there...

sslut
8th Mar 2009, 20:28
Careful now big boy HMDM- that's not quite true of late since they have new dogs running the show there that are top of the pile. :ok:

DaFly
9th Mar 2009, 13:57
The main difference between Maun & Windhoek is:
Maun companies fly mostly single engine, C206, Caravan and Airvan. Getting any twin hours is rare.
In Windhoek you will start off on a single engine C210, but rather soon you will log some twin hours too (C310). Maun business is 99% percent dependent on tourism and bein Botswana, 75% dependent on US tourists.
Windhoek is certainly to a large extend dependent on tourism, but at a good portion of the charters are actually for local business. Architects, surveyors, lawyers charter planes to be taken to the remote towns in order to look after government projects or attend court cases (both not connected to the economic crisis). It's day charters, go there in the morning, come back late afternoon.
Sefofane Namibia is a fairly decent company to fly for. Tourists only. You'll get C210 time, lots of it, until they put you on the GrandVan. You'll get your hours up quickly (not less than 60 hours in a quiet month), pay is reasonable but not great. But the first job is hardly ever paid well. You'll stay out in the lodges quite often, not in the fancy rooms though but in the pilot's quarters (simple, but clean). Within a year you should have logged 1000 hours or close to it. For quite a while there is no overloading anymore, if you are not happy, you leave luggage behind. Route training is quite decent, aircraft look like workhorses (doing often 100+ hours / month) but are technically sound.
Other than that, you could try and get a job at the coast of Namibia in Swakopmund. Those guys fly lots of scenic flights, most of which are 1-2+ hours. C210 only, still overloading, airmanship not worth talking about. Best thing to do after the flight is getting drunk at the local skydiving club (similar to Maun, just lots more fog)

Hope this helps a bit.

skater3260
11th Mar 2009, 20:31
Are there other reputable companies in Namibia/Maun (with great aircraft maintenance) that should also be considered? A friend mentioned Desert Air and Safari Air.
I am somewhat confused about the best time of year to go- Sefofane's website says Jan-Feb is the best time while PPRuNers say Oct-Nov or March- any thoughts?
Most importantly, how easy or hard is to get some ass in Windhoek/Maun- are these girls dirty/clean?;)
Thanks much!

abhi88
12th Mar 2009, 08:02
Most importantly, how easy or hard is to get some ass in Windhoek/Maun- are these girls dirty/clean?

In namibia 23% of the total population is living with aids! Its almost double in botswana!:}:}

DaFly
12th Mar 2009, 13:16
Most of the Windhoek operators are ok. There are 3 ATOs at Eros, none of them is really any better or worse than those in South Africa. It is very much up to the owner (not necessarily the operator) of the aircraft, what condition it is in. Drop me a pm and we can go into more detail, if you wish.

stone_crusher
7th Jun 2009, 10:40
i am planing to come down there for job hunting
i am confused on which is the best time to visit there???
and is the situation better in namibia or in maun???
i mean job market............
and how much is the mothly expenses for living and fooding..

BR
stone

FACT Pilot
10th Jun 2009, 18:48
At the moment all companies seem to have enough drivers so I wouldn't go to Nam/Bots now. I would however visit before season in Feb/Mar 2010 for next season. Hope this helps.

stone_crusher
12th Jun 2009, 10:12
u mean to say by DEC/JAN 2009/2010 ryt?????
is it required that you have the rating of C-206??
coz i am 820tt with 520 ME time , was planing to build more time to make it 1000 tt,
what do you suggest i take up the rating or build more time....

cya
14th Jun 2009, 12:20
Fortunately most readers will be more mature than daFly (or is it BarFly) and realise what a well balanced fellow he is, ie a large chip on both shoulders! The flying fraternity at Swakopmund is just as professional and committed to aviation as anywhere else, and we all know that generalisations will always get you into trouble. Perhaps you might like to show some maturity and reconsider your bagging of fellow aviators. And I'd suggest you dont showing up at the Para Club if you value all your moving parts...