PDA

View Full Version : Flying To Australia

redwingUH
6th Mar 2009, 20:23
Hi everyone.

Last year me and a friend did a trip around Europe.
UK to Cannes-Venice-Dubrovnik-Tirana-Sofia-Brno-Berlin back to the UK.

This year me and another friend started thinking about a trip to Australia.
I would like to know if anybody has done it,and I would love to get in touch with them to get some info.
Any information related to a trip in that direction will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
RedwingUH

tinpis
6th Mar 2009, 20:49
I think Bert Hinkler done it once.
Got a mate wot dunnit the other way Sydney - LHR, in command of a 744. Never been to Europe or Blighty in his life he hadnt, so what you're about to attempt is feasible
Can you get hold of a 744?

redwingUH
6th Mar 2009, 21:11
The idea is to do it in Piper Arrow.
Few years back I read somewhere about a lady in her 50s that has done it in a Cesna.
More then doable.
redwingUH

mostlytossas
6th Mar 2009, 21:20
Been done hundreds if not thousands of times in light aircraft and there are some books been written on the subject (can't remember titles though). I hope you have deep pockets for the adventure as I am led to believe the airways and ground fees on the sub continent are something to behold not to mention the reams of paperwork. Probably why many more pilots don't bother to attempt it.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Mar 2009, 21:45
Make sure you get permission to land in Indonland or you could have an unexpected stop-over!

Dr :8

ozzieausterdriver
6th Mar 2009, 22:05
I have a heard a rumour that an Auster is doing the reverse trip this year.......from Melbourne to Kemble!;)

ozzieausterdriver
6th Mar 2009, 22:09
Redwing UH try this mob they are very helpful:

Overflight flight clearance Home (http://www.whiteroseaviation.co.uk/?gclid=CK_Wobe1j5kCFRxNagodlm3FbA)

magvelda
7th Mar 2009, 06:45
Hi Redwing UH

Please PM me.

magvelda
7th Mar 2009, 06:48
Hi Again Redwing UH.

She did indeed!!! Her name was Sheila Dyson.

They did extremely well.:ok: I was delighted to have been of assistance:)

Kippers7
9th Mar 2009, 07:03
Someone from my flying school (redcliffe aero club) recently purchased a vintage WWII aircraft and flew it back from the UK to Australia..

tail wheel
9th Mar 2009, 07:42
On April 10, 1933 Lores Bonney, departed Archerfield aerodrome on her solo flight to England. She was flying VH-UPV a De Havilland DH-60G Gipsy Moth named "My Little Ship".

So I guess it can't be too hard the other way in a relatively modern aircraft?

Lasiorhinus
9th Mar 2009, 10:27
Yes, but did anyone ever hear from dear Lores again?:eek:

Jabawocky
9th Mar 2009, 12:22
BA or QF....... then hire something here, cheaper safer, see more good stuff, and less chance of being shot at (I did ay LESS chance) and far less chance of ending up in a dodgy prison!

Jabless:ok:

nomorecatering
9th Mar 2009, 14:15
google eathrounders plenty of info about people who have one trips round the globe in ga aircraft

tail wheel
9th Mar 2009, 22:17
Yes, but did anyone ever hear from dear Lores again?

Yes. She also was the first woman to fly from Australia to South Africa, amongst other flying feats, but gave up flying just before World War II.

I was privileged to know her. A wonderful woman.

Aerodynamisist
10th Mar 2009, 08:15
Try this mob Earthrounders: round the world flights in light aircraft (http://www.earthrounders.com/) there's a wealth of info there to be gleaned.

magvelda
10th Mar 2009, 20:51
Hi Redwing UH

I will be delighted to help you.

Please PM me.