PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on Jets

ACARS
3rd Sep 2000, 23:05
I want to take my dog from Newcastle to Dublin on a Aer Lingus F50.

Is this allowed?

Thanks in advance.

ExSimGuy
4th Sep 2000, 13:10
He/She should get on fine with some of the Flight Attendants!
;) ;) ;)

(sorry, totally out of order, should be on Jet Blast, but at least it keeps the post high on the board until someone gives a sensible answer!)

------------------
Through hardship to the bars

TOGA_Party
4th Sep 2000, 13:45
ACARS,
Can't see why not......we used to carry heaps of animals in the aft hold of the F50 in Oz. The really neat thing is that the aft hold is accessible in flight so concerned animal owners could check on their pets inflight!!!! :)

capt waffoo
4th Sep 2000, 15:35
In the hold is fine, but for heaven's sake not in the cabin.

Can you imagine having to endure a flight stuck next to a stinky pooch in a box on your neighbour's knee?

Worse than children in Business Class!

ExSimGuy
4th Sep 2000, 17:03
. . . but not quite as bad as chickens & goats in economy on 3rd-World domestic airlines!
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif - http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif - http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------

The Guvnor
4th Sep 2000, 22:23
A good friend of mine used to fly with his very large German Shepherd in the right hand seat of his DC3 in Africa. He said it was much more effective - and a much better companion - than most of his human co-jos; and best of all, would devour any and all locals that tried a bit of b&e at night.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Slasher
5th Sep 2000, 06:09
ExSimm on those flights where youve got a goat sitting next to you, do you get many comments from other pax of how ugly your girlfriend is? :)

ExSimGuy
5th Sep 2000, 10:28
Slash,

You ain't seen my girlfriend! (You don't want to :) ;) :) )

Ooops - JB here we come!

------------------

addinfurnightem
5th Sep 2000, 13:54
ACARS - One of the few times you might have trouble transporting a dog by air is if Human Remains are booked on the same flight, the dog knows who it is sharing with and objects!!! Seriously, they cannot travel together.

mutt
6th Sep 2000, 00:11
Have u checked out the cost of this? Airlines charge crazy rates for animals, plus the cost is based on volume and not the actual dogs weight. I've just paid shipping for 86 kgs while my dogs only weighed 30 kgs.
Take the boat!!

Slasher
6th Sep 2000, 06:01
On our domestic flights in Nam its usual to carry passengers' chooks and dogs. Our loading rules (for 737) is chooks in the rear cargo hold and dogs in the forward.

This day someone screwed up and put the chooks in the forward hold with a dog! It was my flight to Da Nang that day and enroute I could feel some thumping going on under the floor. On arrival at DAN I immediately went out to see what was going on down there. I expected to see some cargo shift. When the door opened some terrifyed blood-spattered chooks flew out, and here was the pooch staring at me from the edge of the hold with a bloodey huge grin wagging his tail with several feathers still stuck to his bloodied chin! Hed broken out of his wooden cage when he heard the squawking and laid into the chooks after smashing their wooden cages.

He certainley had no complaints about the inflight meal service!

ExSimGuy
6th Sep 2000, 15:17
Slasher,

You're obviously a man of expertise on the subject - what would the situation be regarding my camel? I was planning to go on a trip but could not find anyone to feed Humpey while I was away - possibly due to his disagreeable nature and the way he tends to spit at people, just before he bites them.

Could Humpey travel with me and if so would he have enough clearance in the 737 hold to be able to stand up and stretch his legs?

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

Slasher
7th Sep 2000, 09:58
ExSim. Your camels disposition sounds awfully like mine! :)

The 737 holds are too small for a camel. You can get him a cabin seat using the following procedure:

* Book Humpey under the name "Joe Camel".

* Buy him a pair of dark sunglasses. The cooler he looks wearing them the better.

* Buy him a "Joe Camel" T-shirt

* Slip a packet of Camel filters into his pocket.

When on board:

* If in Nam or Middle East, make sure he doesnt spit any more often than the locals do. Otherwise itll draw attention to him.

* Tell him not to bite the female cabin crew on their butts (anywhere else is ok)

* If he growls, snorts, or starts chewing the hat of the passengers sitting in the row in front of him, no problem. He will fit in very well on any 3rd world airline.

* He must not smoke. Ever heard (or been splattered by) a camel coughing?

* Implore him not to fart for the same reasons above. No dates or prunes before he flies!

The only other alternative is dress him in drag and put up with the constant remarks about how bloodey ugly your girlfriend is! :)

Eric
10th Sep 2000, 23:39
Slasher,
You know FAR too much about this than is healthy ;)

VIKING9
11th Sep 2000, 00:03
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well, British Island Airways used to carry them in the cabin and they were good at serving drinks too :P: :mad:

ExSimGuy
12th Sep 2000, 14:16
WHAT ? CAMELS ?? :) ;) :)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)