PDA

View Full Version : Holidays4Heroes needs a bit of FUN for a 10 yr old before he goes blind!

Airborne Aircrew
5th Mar 2009, 20:22
The Thread (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=118069.html) on Arrse

... and while I'm not a high profile member of PPrune the specific request is here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=2473857.html#2473857).

Whoever you are:

Thank you for the Sticky

At the risk of being pushy: Can we please make this lad's best memories be those of the Royal Air Force.

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2009, 06:04
Can we please make this lad's best memories be those of the Royal Air Force.

Or just make them good ones, of any of the Services. The lad is in Scotland, I think - so stand up Gannet Flight, and one of the F3 squadrons at Leuchars, perhaps? :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
6th Mar 2009, 13:37
Or just make them good ones, of any of the Services.

<whispered>

psssttt... A_A, it was a poor attempt at motivation... invent a bit of competition and all that... :}

Vortex what...ouch!
7th Mar 2009, 19:43
Wow I thought there would have been more input from the winged master race...

PPRuNe Pop
7th Mar 2009, 20:43
I did too which is why I stickied the thread.

I would recommend that you read the facts behind this young lad's rather dismal and dark future. It may tug at a string or two.

airborne_artist
8th Mar 2009, 10:58
Ppruners who wish remain anon have stood up - but there's still time to help out. PM me for the contact details of the organiser of this benefit.

Airborne Aircrew
8th Mar 2009, 13:26
Yes, I agree. Please don't think that because there has been no actual response in this thread that there has been no response. I have had a few really nice offers :D that I have passed on to the organiser one of which I'd be happy to take up if the lad isn't interested, (though I'm pretty sure he will).

The people involved simply chose to ask me to be the go-between because hey aren't Arrse members. I'm very happy to oblige - so keep them coming and don't forget you can donate money through the methods provided on Arrse without being a member.. Hint, hint.. ;)

Spanish Waltzer
8th Mar 2009, 17:17
What a thoroughly worthwhile venture and only sorry that location and timing factors will prevent more positive responses however following recent events I thought I would help out the unscroupulous local MP / media hound with the following............:}:E:E

An urgent (insert RAF or RN) probe is underway into why a (insert Search and Rescue helicopter / F3 Tornado) was apparently used to fly a very sick 10 yr old child for a memorable day. Pictures of the Sea King / F3 flying the boy were published in the Daily Mirror / Sun /Mail.

A dozen family members were seen to be overjoyed at the generousity shown by the extremely busy and over stretched military aircrew, the paper said.

As questions were asked about the appropriate use of military resources, a Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "There are strict rules in place regarding use of military aircraft and we are urgently investigating this incident to ensure regulations have been observed.

"Search and Rescue / Q cover was not compromised in any way while this sortie took place."

A Lib Dem / Conservative / Labour defence spokesman told the Mirror "If true, this is an outrageous abuse of an exceptionally precious commodity.

"Soldiers' lives are being put at risk because of helicopter / jet shortages and search and rescue / Q is under great strain. The public will want answers on how the MoD allowed this inappropriate use of resources."
:p:p:p:p

cornish-stormrider
11th Mar 2009, 10:58
AA, I would bump this but as Pop is so kind to sticky it.....

I have perused the thread on "Arrse". It impressed me highly that there were that many soldiers that could type :E.

It is hugely humbling how well they have rallied around, I would offer a tour round where I work but a factory ain't much fun so I shall send wedge. If you find out an update can you please let us all know....

Airborne Aircrew
11th Mar 2009, 11:52
The best update I can give is that I know MDN, (the chap coordinating this effort amongst many), has received a vast quantity of offers and is collating them all and will present a large list of options to the lad and his dad fairly soon I believe. I'll keep my ear to the ground and give better int when I can.

I have forwarded a few offers from here to him and he has been most grateful those thanks were passed on to the "offerers". I know for sure he has already contacted one of the "offerers" directly and I haven't been updated on the others, (though when they were originally offered MDN was being absolutely flooded with correspondence so I was pleased just to get acknowledgements of receipt).

I can say this about Arrse members: For all thier faults, (being mainly brown jobs...;) ), they come together and open their hearts and wallets at the drop of a hat. I have witnessed this on many occasions now and I have to say that their charitable ventures and their "outrage bus" are second to none and warm the heart.

Low Ball
25th Mar 2009, 11:39
The lad came to visit the whole base last Monday. Well done the Army and all the Contractors on base. A memorable day for him. Thanks for alerting us to the story

LB

Winch-control
25th Mar 2009, 13:05
Nice one guys! Bet it brought miles of smiles. Great to see a little effort goes so far.:D