PDA

View Full Version : Canadians in Africa

Impression
5th Mar 2009, 17:58
I'm looking for companies in Africa that will hire Canadian pilots. I have 2500 hours with 1000 turbine. Also, does anyone have any dealings with Trans Capital Air?

DashRiprock
6th Mar 2009, 05:37
Many Many companies will. Try Voyageur, if you want something with a Rotation. I have found work in Namibia, SA, Bots and Tanzania, I stayed in Tanz. Pay was best and so has been the flying. I do not know about Trans Capital, but I have heard something of them. WHat type of airplane do you want to fly? C208B are a pretty popular choice here.

LOW BURNER
6th Mar 2009, 13:48
i have been in kenya and Tanzania for nearly two months now. Still havent landed anything. Im only fresh out of my cpl but am still hoping for something on a 206. there are a few around. Kenyan pilots get paid double what their canadian counterparts do so if you can do it...its well worth your while.

dannyjet
6th Mar 2009, 18:00
I find it pretty brave and adventurous of you of going to Africa fresh out of your CPL looking for a job.

I also did my training in Canada (CPL MIFR) and I'm reaching 300TT. I am currently in Chile (home country) but nothing has happened until now so I am considering going back to Canada and aim low at a job such as rampie.

Anyways, was wondering if are there really any chances for pilots with experience such as ours in Africa? You are right there! Has is been hard those two months? Is there anything that looks promising? Also, did you have to convalidate your canadian licence over there? Being Africa, I have my doubts.

Let me know, and good luck!

Daniel

chongololo
6th Mar 2009, 19:21
What about that Canadian company that operates Dash 8's in Africa?
I can't for the life of me remember their name.
Was it DAC air or something?
Anyway good luck in your search.

AlternativeProcedure
6th Mar 2009, 21:24
chongololo, You mean CHC?

atpcliff
6th Mar 2009, 22:21
Hi!

Most of the jobs I've been looking at in Africa (and Asia/Middle East) require an ICAO license, so the Canadian thing is no problem.

I am supposed to fly from AMS-Nairobi in about 10 days to start a job. My CEO is Canadian (YYZ). I am planning on converting my license to Canada an getting a work permit at some point (I am FAA and US).

cliff
KGRB

LOW BURNER
7th Mar 2009, 14:21
The two months havent been too hard at all. Met some great people and some ****e people. Kenya licence conversion...difficult Tanzania licence conversion....easy. There was a company that offered me a placement if i got a Kenyan licence conversion but i have not completed my IFR so unless i come home and do it that one is a no go. To get an IFR in Kenya will cost in the range of about 20 000 CND. Out of my range as it can be done for a third of that back home. Will stick around Tanzania for a few more days chasing leads but if that doesnt pan out I will be back to Canada. Out of money and time. Two months has been costly. Good luck to you

romeo2die4
8th Mar 2009, 13:52
hey the conversion is very hard and costly but i am done and flying the dornier 228 i was very lucky but to get the job but without an IR u can't get a job. i trained in canada and come back to kenya. good luck if u have any questions i'll be glad to help