PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ATP to JAA

countbat
5th Mar 2009, 12:05
How difficult is to get a Canadian License to a JAA License? I see a lot of infos between FAA and JAA but no Canada/JAA.

rigpiggy
5th Mar 2009, 15:42
Go thru this section, figure 4-15K

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20G%20-%20AIRLINE%20TRANSPORT%20PILOT%20LICENCE.pdf

doo
5th Mar 2009, 16:54
be prepared to pay a lot

CrazySpaniard
6th Mar 2009, 06:13
Be prepared to pay a lot indeed.

Dunno how other CAA´s will do, but the Spanish version says something like:

"You can convert, sure. Just go to a school, take the theory course. Go to another school, take 20 hours flying a 172, plus 5 on a Bonanza. Take the tests and the checkride, wait for a couple months and you´ll get your license."

The only difference with getting it all from scratch is... If you spot it, please tell me.

That´s talking about a CPL. Add 45 hours on an IFR 172 and a Seneca for the ME/IR. Dunno about a PPL, but should be easier, though.

Anyway, considering that exams for the CPL/ATPL theory take place only once every 4 months, whenever/wherever the JAA guys decide, be sure it´ll take some time. Things have changed for the good lately, but a 6/18 months on-site course was a requirement too some years ago (6 for CPL, 18 for ATPL).

There were better conditions depending on your licenses and times. If you´re absolutely serious about it, I could check out. The "Law" book is right here and marked. Just tell what you have and what you want. If you feel more comfortable, PM me or something.

There were some attemps at starting JAA schools in Canada, but since the JAA is just a Euro money-making machine, I can´t tell of a single one that succeeded. Check out yourself in case you´re lucky.

Sorry I can´t be more possitive. Maybe it has something to do with spending too much time around the JAA (Jihadists Against Aviation).

Cheers

Airline Pirate
2nd Apr 2009, 00:40
I am on the tail end of it.

I had a full Canadian ATPL, so I was exempt from mandatory groundschool...

Does make the process cheaper, but definately not easier.

The two Canadian ATPL writtens are a walk in the park compared the JAA ATPL Theory Exams...

Without a doubt the toughest 12 months of my life [I was flying full time and took time off TO FLY TO EUROPE TO WRITE EXAMS and then go back to work in Canada]

Yes, they are that hard. I scoffed when I was in your shoes too...

First things first... why do you want to do this? Do you have an EU passport or citizenship?

If not, you have no legal right to work there, unless you work for a Canadian registered company operating there. In which case, you only need your c ATPL.

If you have the right to work in Europe, PM me and I will give you the lowdown...

varigflier
4th Apr 2009, 00:55
What books/manuals do you guys recommend to study for the JAA ATPL exams?

beerdrinker
4th Apr 2009, 05:36
Oh for the days before JAA.

The simple route used to be FAA to Canadian; Canadian to Irish; Irish to UK CAA. All direct swaps.

MarkMcC
6th Apr 2009, 01:12
I used the Oxford ATPL series - they are very thorough (sometimes too much so :> ). All 15 will run you about $1000...but they will make an excellent reference set for years to come...

Count on 3-6 months to get through the material, depending on your background.

Good luck!

Canario
11th Apr 2009, 08:33
I'm seeking JAA license, understand you went through the hole process and I have European passport, have my ATPL FAA as well as ATPL ICAO, what's the procedure?
I understand you can accomplish this license in Florida USA.?
And if so is there any restriction afterwards to fly in Europe?

Canario.

V2+30 Flaps Up
12th Apr 2009, 20:13
I seem to recall a let somewhere in the regs if you had 3000 command time in a jet heavier than 30t or 50t, I don't quite recall the numbers, but it was a straight across hand-over of the JAA ATPL if you had this. I am recalling this from about 4 years ago.

Canario
14th Apr 2009, 15:59
Well, thank you very much for your comment, seem's like there's something accurate on what you've said.

I'll keep looking, and let you know if I find something interesting.