PDA

View Full Version : NPA 2008/17c - EASA Medical Requirements - Visual System

Scoobster
4th Mar 2009, 23:29
I found this in NPA 2008/17c and just wondered if anyone could shed any light on what this means..

6. Substandard vision

6.1. Applicants with reduced central vision in one eye may be assessed as fit if the binocular visual field is normal and the underlying pathology is acceptable according to ophthalmological assessment. A satisfactory medical flight test and a multipilot limitation are required.

6.2. An applicant with acquired substandard vision in one eye may be assessed as fit with a multipilot limitation if:
(i) the better eye achieves distant visual acuity of 6/6 (1.0), corrected or uncorrected;
(ii) the better eye achieves intermediate visual acuity of N14 and N5 for near;
(iii) in the case of acute loss of vision in one eye, a period of adaptation time has passed
from the known point of visual loss, during which the pilot is assessed as unfit;
(iv) there is no significant ocular pathology; and
(v) a medical flight test is satisfactory.

6.3. An applicant with a visual field defect may be considered as fit if the binocular visual field is normal and the underlying pathology is acceptable to the licensing authority

Is 6.3 independant of 6.1 and therefore this means that 'if your visual field in one eye is reduced and your binocular vision is normal you are FIT for a class 1' and in this case what constitues an 'acceptable' pathology'?

Or is 6.3 only applicable in cases of 6.1? Any Optometrists shed any light on this?

I ask because it could be the difference between a medical or crushing the dream!

Thanks

Scoobster

o