PDA

View Full Version : Peripheral Vision Test

Scoobster
4th Mar 2009, 22:57
Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has been in for an initial class 1 medical at LGW recently and can shed any light on how they test 'visual fields' (if tested) and 'peripheral vision'?

An insight into the latest high tech practices at LGW would be great?

Is it still A.C who is the optom at LGW?

Cheers,

Scoobster

merlinn
13th Mar 2009, 12:03
I think the peripheral vision check involved me staring at the doc's nose whilst he waived his hands around asking which one had open fingers! Very technical:p

happyjack
13th Mar 2009, 14:26
Not any more. I have to visit the optometrist every 2 years and they put me though a "flashing LED machine." Not too easy when you are getting older.
It's been many years since I did it at LGW but I assume that must be what they are using now?

mik268
13th Mar 2009, 16:28
I went for my class 1 initial at Gatwick yesterday. The peripheral vision test consisted of the optometrist holding a metal rod with a small ball at the end, you then have to say whether the ball is 'moving' or 'stationary' as he moves it around.

Loose rivets
13th Mar 2009, 17:40
Huh, the machine must have bust. The one with the LEDs is very good cos it shows very low light-levels sometimes. It sums the patches in a way that clearly shows the blind-spots, so despite being a tad unsure about the low light ones, the averaging really does paint the picture.

A bit of drift, but my AME used to slide the near sight thing down to my nose, and I would go cross-eyed and say, 'custom, on the first day of every...'

"marvelous! you're better than a lot of the young chaps just starting."

Had to fess up eventually, as I needed glasses to fill in the form.