View Full Version : BA PA

mallard
14th May 2001, 23:01
I work for an airline which has just published the Summer issue of its Flight Safety Review.
An important theme is the need to guard against runway incursions, observing that the worst aviation disaster ever was the collision at Tenerife North between KLM and Pan-Am 747s.
I am based at Manchester which now has the benefit of a second parallel , but staggered, runway.
This is a gloomy prediction from the Review, "It is only a matter of time before someone crosses a runway at Manchester without permission".
This afternoon I travelled for the first time on a BA A319 from Heathrow. Not bad at all, quite a pleasant cabin to ride in.
However, after landing on 06R, the captain launched into a lengthy PA about how we were about to cross the "old" runway having landed on the "new" runway and then thanked the cabin crew (for nothing in particular), mentioning them all by name and then thanked his FO, also by name.
This is while we were actually crossing 06L after a departing BY 757.
As is the current customer pleasing policy the captain was stood at the cockpit door, wearing his pilot hat (symbol of authority) saying good-bye to the pax.
I thought of having a word but it would have blocked the egress of pax and I thought this would be a wider forum to air my view.
My company's policy is no PAs while taxying.
I know BA pilots are only obeying orders to follow a well rehearsed script, which regular travellers know by heart too, but maybe they should have a serious think about the wisdom of taking their minds off the job at hand.

Carnage Matey!
15th May 2001, 03:08
Cant really see a problem if its a familiar airport with good wx and no traffic around. In BA both pilots can taxy so its not as if the guy was trying to steer and speak at the same time - though admittedly he could have waited until hed crossed the other runway.

Chalky
15th May 2001, 21:48
Some BA Captains seem to overdo the PA's on the ground. I remember a lovely incident a few years ago at LHR when a BA Captain blocked the ground frequency for about five minutes, thanking his pax for travelling with them from BRU as it was a very competitive route etc, etc, etc. While doing so he (or the FO) went through a red light and incurred the wrath of the Ground Controller for that as well as the frequency-hogging!

XcessiveG
16th May 2001, 01:21
'My company's policy is no PAs while taxying'

So when do you welcome passengers to the destination & say cheerio?? .... on stand??

mallard
16th May 2001, 07:16
The cabin crew say enough for both of us.
Seeing as they don't have the responsibility of driving round a busy and complicated airport which may or may not be familiar they are the best people to do the welcome spiel.
BTW does anyone know if BA have a tiller on the FO's side on their 757s and 767s ?

expedite_climb
16th May 2001, 13:55
Mallard,

did a j/s on BA 757 couple of times, yes they had tller on rhs.

overstress
16th May 2001, 23:57
Mallard

How is the touring company? BA PAs are always done by the NHP. I'm sure the 4-ringer would have made sure that all was OK before committing himself to an A319 'hot fingertip'!

Perhaps his lengthy PA was down to 'teambuilding'/CRM?

Some customers appreciate seeing the face of the guy responsible for their lives.

BOAC
17th May 2001, 01:51
If it PARTIALLY puts your mind at rest, me ol' duck, if the Captain made the PA it is big odds on (SOPs) that the F/O was taxying - and acting P1 - and, I hope, listening and looking!

Max Angle
17th May 2001, 20:50
I would only make a PA whilst taxying if I had something important to say. Most of the BA pilots I have flown behind seem to love the sound of their own voices and some of the PA's are cringe making, ie. "We'd like to thank the cabin crew for the really great job they have been doing". Fetch me a bucket!.