PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Studies for Commercial Pilot Training

joeyp101
4th Mar 2009, 19:55
Hi All,

Ive read plenty around the forum regarding the economic rubbish we are in, I wonder if anyone has considered doing this course to get the exams out the way so hopefully you get your fATPL just as this cloud lifts?

Tell me your thoughts-
Aviation Studies for Commercial Pilot Training - FdEng - Course Information - Undergraduate Students - Kingston University London (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/aviation/)

:)

Mad Buzzard
5th Mar 2009, 15:42
hi , I am doing an Air tansport with commercial piloy training at buckinghamshire new university... i'd definetly reccomend you a degree course, for two reasons

1 it will give you more jobs opportunities and
2 i am in my 3rd year of the course and douring the second year i had a medical problem and as a consequence i can no longer fly, but thanks to the degree i will still be able to (hopefully) get a job, without it i would have wasted all the money i spent for my training

Genghis the Engineer
5th Mar 2009, 16:35
hi , I am doing an Air tansport with commercial piloy training at buckinghamshire new university... i'd definetly reccomend you a degree course, for two reasons

2 i am in my 3rd year of the course and douring the second year i had a medical problem and as a consequence i can no longer fly, but thanks to the degree i will still be able to (hopefully) get a job, without it i would have wasted all the money i spent for my training

Which year do they start marking spelling, punctuation and grammar!

(Okay, yes, a cheap shot! - but you don't sell BNU's standards very well!)

G

joeyp101
5th Mar 2009, 21:01
Thanks for the response, did your course go through all the theory to cover the ATPL exams?

The course at Kingston specifically does exam theory which I'm quite interested in, has anyone done it or doing it? Or any advice? :)

PilotPieces
5th Mar 2009, 22:33
Does anyone know if you have to complete the atpl to be awarded the degree? Otherwise could you not just do the course, get the atpl theory down and get a degree for your troubles without spending a penny on flying training?

Mad Buzzard
7th Mar 2009, 00:41
yes very cheap shot, since i am not a native speaker of english , it's my third language

and yes the course goes all the way to cpl atpl ir etc

benish
7th Mar 2009, 09:28

that is quite easily solved by a medical aswel! (thats if you get the medical before spending any money!)

Genghis the Engineer
8th Mar 2009, 11:23
I imagine that Mad Buzzard had the sense to take a medical before he started, as do pretty much all student pilots.

People can however develop medical problems at any point in life. If that wasn't the case, then the authorities wouldn't make us all take a medical at regular intervals would they? Neither would full time professional pilots spend so much money on loss of medical insurance.

G

joeyp101
8th Mar 2009, 19:04
...so does anyone have any furthur advice for me? ...I'm really unsure about what to do, but I'm thinking my best bet is to do this course/degree as I can get the exams out the way, have fun at uni and hopefully start the rest of my training in better economic times.

lg89
8th Mar 2009, 23:39
Joey, you have a PM from me,

Lg89

lg89
9th Mar 2009, 13:58
One point to mention quickly to anyone looking at this course.

It is not a normal degree course as a lot of people expect it to be (10 hrs contact time a week, massive holidays etc.) It is pretty much full time with shorter holidays. There is a lot of work involved, but, at the end of it you have an Honours degree as well as a fATPL.

If you are not aiming for a fATPL at the time then the course may not be for you, but if you are aiming for a fATPL but would also like an Honours degree, this course is worth considering.

Any questions about the course, please PM me

LG89

CY333
10th Mar 2009, 19:24
I would stay AWAY from Kingston.
Did my engineering and EASA Part 66 B1.2 lisence there.
Not sure about the ATPL theory but latest info confirm that some key individuals that are involved in the aircraft engineering courses are also involved in the ATPL courses.
Strange people that would go out their way to cause trouble to individual students for various reasons and I believe some scandals have been mentioned in the press the last couple of years about racism and Kingston University National Student Survey fraud recording - Wikileaks (http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Kingston_University_National_Student_Survey_fraud_recording)

lg89
10th Mar 2009, 22:27
Just to say, no-one on this course is involved with any other engineering course at Kingston.