PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building in Vancouver

Tom Power
4th Mar 2009, 19:36
As the tital says, I am waning to do 100 hours in a c/152. Can anyone recommend a good school or club with good rates? Also I am coming over from Ireland to do it, and wondering what is the deal with flying over the borders to the USA, would I need a visa? Any info would be great... Cheers...

Westward_Bound
5th Mar 2009, 06:36
Are you looking for training, or just hour building?

Boundary Bay (CZBB) is where I did all my training. I'm not a fan of most of the schools there these days, as they mainly cater to the foreign Asian student programs, and the solo local guy seems to get shafted a bit. At least that's what I felt, and had others agree.

Not too sure how long you're planning to stay here, but if you're just looking to build hours, maybe try to get a time share in the plane of you're choice. The hourly rates last time I checked (long time ago for a 172) were around $30-40per hour less than the schools, but you had to pay you're own gas. Plus the time share a/c tend to be in better shape and have nicer avionics. Then just sell your share when you're done (might be hard to do now) and save some cash.

Had I known about that, I would have done it that way and save all the extra $$$ spent on ****ty school planes.

But this is relatively old info, so I'm not sure what things are like now. Just a thought.

For the crossing the border thing, I do believe you need a visa to cross in a private aircraft (for non Canadian residents) . I don't remember exactly what the procedure was, but I remember hearing something about it when doing my US checkout.

Tom Power
5th Mar 2009, 08:48
Sounds good. Where and I find out where i can buy shares? Also what schools or areo clubs do aircraft rental in Vancouver. Cheers...

Westward_Bound
5th Mar 2009, 09:27
For schools at Boundary Bay, there is Professional Flight Center(aka Pro IFR), Pacific Flying Club, Canadian Flight Center and a few others I don't remember the names.

There is even a new Cirus operator with some nice new glass cockpits.

There are 2 other airports worth checking out that have flight schools. Pitt Meadows (CYPK) and Langely (CYNJ)

As for the time share, I think the internet is your best bet. Just search for "vancouver aircraft timeshares" (I haven't, but thats what I'd do)

Tom Power
5th Mar 2009, 10:20
Thanks for that Westward_Bound... Very helpful... Not bad prices either... Looks like ill be moving to Van for a while... Ill bring the bike for Whistler so...

Road Trip
20th Mar 2009, 23:51
There is also an Cessna Amphib available. It won't be as cheap as a C150 but boy you would have alot more fun and learn a fair bit more. The block time rate for 45hrs + is around $175/hr wet. You may be able to work out a better deal if you wanted to build a full 100hrs on the plane.

Travers114
21st Mar 2009, 05:49
Pretty sure some of those schools offer better deals when you buy large blocks of time in advance, but you have to take into consideration a few different factors, like will you need to leave for some reason, if your sick for some of the time what kind of reimbursement do they offer, if any, etc.