View Full Version : nice city / town to live around London Stansted

Rien
11th May 2001, 18:28
Hi There

Whitin a couple of weeks time i will start working from London Stansted. Can somebody give me advise about a nice city between Luton and Stansted. Have heard about stevenage.

Thanks

MikeSamuel
11th May 2001, 19:30
It's not a city as such, but when I was down roughly that way, I called in at a place called Hitchin, not exactly a city, but a pleasant town with plenty of stuff going on...Probably doesn't seem that way if you live there ;) but I thought it was the sort of place I would like to live in...better than Coventry anyway http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Regards

Mike

Loony_Pilot
11th May 2001, 19:47
Hi,

Stevenage is a reasonable place to live, other places to consider include Bishops Stortford, Hitchin, Harlow (ok maybe not harlow!)

I live near to all these places, if you want to ask any questions.. fire away

LP

SKYYACHT
12th May 2001, 23:55
You could try Cambidge.....not far on M11....or try Sawbridgeworth, or better yet, Takely. Little village, 5 mins from airport, and reasonably good pubs...

Tailwinds

The flying gunman
13th May 2001, 12:03
Depends what sort of life you want really.There are some beautiful villages in the countryside all around Stanstead.Henham and Ashton come to mind,or live at the bottom of the M11 like I do in Woodford,Essex which is 35-40 mins from Stanstead but you are on the tube line and 35mins from Central London.
Good luck.
PS Takely is right under the flight path for landings on 5 and take off on 23.Bit too close me thinks

------------------
He who smiles when the sh** hits the fan has found someone else to blame!

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2001, 17:38
Well I have re-located Welshman Towers to Stansted village which is 4 miles door to door for work. This is a big consideration if you are going to be doing low cost ops - nothing worse than an hour in traffic to and from work.

Cheers,

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2001, 17:45
Moved to Aircrew Notices.

StressFree
13th May 2001, 20:05
'Stevenage is a nice place..........'
You have got to be joking!!!! I'm based at STN and live in one of the hundreds of little Essex villages around STN. Top quality of life.
Flying Gunman - I went to school in Woodford Green at the place that looks like a castle, decent part of the world.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'

euroboy
13th May 2001, 21:33
For STN look at more the Essex, North East London areas. Harlow, Chelmsford, Bishops Stortford, Cambridge.
Hitchin, Stevenage are hideious drives no motorways, all cross country and the traffic is terrible. Worse than the M25 some mornings. If you are on home SBY you may never make it. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
If you are tempted Old Stevenage is nice.

Hamrah
13th May 2001, 21:44
Try Sawbridgeworth, between Stortford and Harlow, direct train link to STN (10 minutes), 14 pubs within walking distance, and (apart from Posh and Becks) the neighbours are reasonably friendly.

Cheers

H

Rien
14th May 2001, 11:27
Thanks for all the information. I will go there next week en drive around. Is there a train from stevenage to Stansted and are trains expensive in the UK

Rien

euroboy
14th May 2001, 14:28
There are trains from Stevenage to Stansted but involves up to 3 changes of train, but usually 2 train changes. You may have to go into London take the tube and go back up to Stansted. The quickest journey is 1 and half hours but on average 2 hours. Trains in UK expensive and no longer reliable. I use to use the train regularly but now I go by coach.

There are direct trains from Cambridge to Stansted taking about 30 mins.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 14 May 2001).]

Rien
14th May 2001, 15:01
OK, so stevenage is not a good option. Ik think Cambridge might be Good too. I prefer to live in a city because i don't know to many people jet. I will share a house with a friend who start flying for Easy so it must be easy to go to Luton and to Stansted as well. Is a house in cambridge expensive?

euroboy
14th May 2001, 16:59
Yeh houses in Cambridge one of the most expensive in the region coz of High Tec companies and University.

Your friends at EasyJet would find it difficult from Cambridge to Luton.

Now I know what you are trying to do try Northampton, Milton Keynes. Only 45 mins-1 hour to LTN and there is a Coach Link between the two.
For Stansted you would need to drive but you would be on duel carriageway take about 1 hour 45 mins. Traffic isnt too bad.
Other than that I can only suggest North (North East) London

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 14 May 2001).]

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
14th May 2001, 22:16
Chelmsford? A nice town? There's a phrase i haven't heard in a while...
...live 5 miles or so to the S. STN wouldn't be too bad (30 mins on the A414 then short hop up M11), as for LTN you'd have to take your chances on the M25 - not a good idea, as A12/M25 is usually resembling a car park most mornings.
-tacc

StressFree
15th May 2001, 20:43
Teeneyweeny........
What a ridiculous name. Is this 'student' humour or are you really backward?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

johntrav69
18th May 2001, 05:11
Try this link and when loaded you will have to play around a bit to get it near Stansted/Luton, but some good info.

http://www.upmystreet.com/overview/index.php3?location1=mk44

scarebus
21st May 2001, 00:11
Just bought a really nice place in Braintree,
its worth a look.
sb

springbok449
21st May 2001, 13:01
Hey Rien,
Why don't you try St Albans? Lots of good pubs and a friendly place to live only 15 mins away from London by train.
Good luck with the job.

euroboy
22nd May 2001, 09:48
Being a St Albans boy born and bread yeh great pubs etc......getting to LTN easy but STN not. Renting accomodation not the cheapest.

capt waffoo
22nd May 2001, 20:44
euroboy, don't you mean "corn and bread???"
;)

euroboy
23rd May 2001, 11:15
Capt Waffoo

Sorry spelling typing too fast bread bred

will type s-l-o-w-e-r.....

foghorn
23rd May 2001, 14:18
Bedford is gets my vote. It's a bit of an undiscovered gem.

Ignore the bit around the train station and bus station, it's quite grotty, the rest of the town, down by the river Ouse and the outlying villages are really nice. House prices and rents are generally lower than the rest of region.

Bedford station is on the Thameslink which means 24 hour trains into central London (and LTN) which is good for getting home from a few beers. It's 45 mins - 1 hour by car to STN, about 30 mins to LTN.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 23 May 2001).]

Joe Curry
23rd May 2001, 19:29
>>Just bought a really nice place in Braintree, its worth a look.<<

My brother lives in Braintree and I fly EDI-
STN a few times yearly. It's an easy 30
minute drive from STN, Braintree has all
the facilities you might care for.

The road is being upgraded to dual carriageway and that will cut the journey time down to about 15/20 minutes. :)