PDA

View Full Version : Residential ATPL and working Part-time

Golf--Lima--Papa
3rd Mar 2009, 17:48
Is there any pruners out there who have worked part-time while doing the ATPL's full-time?

I'm due to move onto a part-time contract with Virgin that will see me working around 2-3 trips per month, mostly at weekends. I'm reluctant to give up my job and keen to do the atpl's full-time as I prefer classroom learning as opposed to DL.

If I'm being totally honest I may have to miss around 1 day of learning every fortnight. I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through the full-time classroom course and to know if they think that it is possible to go through the course while being away at weeknds and maybe missing the odd day here and there.

Currently I'm halfway through my PPL and I'm looking at London Met, Cabair and some other schools with the plan of doing my ATPL's early 2010.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

RTN11
3rd Mar 2009, 22:24
I did the full time ATPL groundschool at BCFT.

I entered it with the intention of working part time, mainly at the weekends, but found I just didn't have the time.

It really depends what you want to get out of the ATPLs. If all you want is 14 passes at 75%, then you could probably hold down a part time job aswell. I wanted to know the subjects well, so studied as hard as I could. I found i spent most nights during the week studying, and took one day at the weekend off. Finished with a 93% average, so I'd say it payed off.

The main problem is the volume of information you have to take on board, and the sometimes bizarre wording of the CAA questions.

Golf--Lima--Papa
4th Mar 2009, 00:32
Thanks for the reply mate, I will take that advice onboard.

Rugbyears
4th Mar 2009, 11:46
I would strongly advise all not to consider part-time employment whilst studying the full-time ATPL programme. School expectations are high, the vast amount of information that one is expected to learn is on a daily bases is great. You will be expected to study outside of scheduled times (home) and if you observe yourself falling behind, then it will be a long arduous road back!:ok: