PDA

View Full Version : FAA CFI jobs in OZ or NZ

jsfboat
3rd Mar 2009, 01:51
I'm an American citizen and finishing up my CFI, and will have my CFII in a few months. Are there any CFI jobs either in Australia or NZ with faa ratings? I have a little more than 300 hours.

RENURPP
3rd Mar 2009, 02:43
No.

You will need an Australian Instructor rating to work in Australia, same as we would need an FAA one if we worked in USA.

And you would need an work Visa.

troppo
3rd Mar 2009, 02:57
Its relatively easy to find a kiwi girl to marry for the right to work and abode. Why else would single white males be leaving in droves?

Spelunker
3rd Mar 2009, 03:06
What does CFI stand for? I'm guessing it's Certified Flight Instructor. In Australia an Instructor Rating is entered as FIR(3) in your logbook (Flight Instructor Rating) the 3 being your're a Grade 3.

That brings me to the other question, what is CFII? is that a Grade 2 Rating. I noticed the US way of writing instructor is a bit different to Australia's. Unless I'm missing something.

mingalababya
3rd Mar 2009, 03:54
CFII is the Certified Flight Instructor Instrument rating allowing you to instruct single engine IFR. China follows the same system (because they copied the regs from the FAA ;) )

MEI is the Multi-Engine Instrument Rating which completes the set. It is almost equivalent to our META. From what my FAA licensed friends tell me, they don't need the 50 hours of command time on twins like we do to get the MEI.

SOPS
3rd Mar 2009, 04:31
Can we all come and work in America....??????? Sometimes I really wonder:ugh:

ReverseFlight
3rd Mar 2009, 06:05
Hi jsfboat, I am not aware of any Oz flight school offering an FAA flying course or even a ground school course (which I presume you are also qualified for). Ppruners can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure about it.

There are US flight schools who do FAA and JAA courses and there are Oz flight schools who do CASA and JAA courses. I believe there is an untapped market in Oz if an Airman Knowledge Testing Centre can be set up here just like Guam (technically non-US), Japan, Korea or (previously) Hong Kong - see the link below for the current list :

http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/media/test_centers.pdf

FTOs, think outside the box.

troppo
3rd Mar 2009, 07:31
Kellogs and sanitarium spring to mind when FAA is raised

Cypher
3rd Mar 2009, 08:09
Banana and Republic spring to mind when CAA Fiji is raised....

Lasiorhinus
3rd Mar 2009, 08:18
Nothing springs to mind at all when talking about the CASA.

They drain my mind of all vitality.

privateer01
3rd Mar 2009, 20:35
Wasn't it Bob Tait that said "Australia is the Gallapagos Islands of aviation"?

Lasiorhinus
3rd Mar 2009, 22:52
As in, full of turtles?

fudwinkel
7th Mar 2009, 21:39
"The Galapagos of Aviation" page 5.1 of 'Instrument Rating Study Guide' Dec 2008 - apparently not Tait's own decription.

nomorecatering
8th Mar 2009, 16:19
Just curious, a friend of mine in the US is a multi thousand hr instructor( something like 7,000 hrs instructing in GA alone), currently a chief flight instructor at a large school, has jet time (airlines), indeed just about everything you caN imagine. Including the US equivalent of ATO. he may be comming down under as his wife is going to be posted here with her job.

Would he have to do the full 50 hr instructor rating syllabus and start as a junior 3?

Unhinged
8th Mar 2009, 21:42
Cao 40.1.7

Tinstaafl
9th Mar 2009, 01:56
Slight correction: MEI is Multi Engine Instructor. It has nothing to do with Instrument Rating instruction. Each instructor rating in the FAA system is a standalone qualification. You can hold them singly or in any combination.

The others are Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) and CFI Instrument (CFII)

Another difference is that a US instructor is not required to be under the supervision of a licenced flying school. Under Part 61 rules, each instructor is responsible alone to the FAA for the training they give and the FAA monitors each instructor's student pass rate.

The nearest US equivalent to the Oz AOC + flying school licence is a Part 141 flying school. It's not too far off to describe *all* Oz flying schools as Part 141 schools, using US nomenclature

Kangaroo Court
9th Mar 2009, 16:33
Actually what you've just written there is correct. I was a Grade 2 in Australia and became an MEII (Multi Engine Instrument Instructor) when I got to the USA. The standards are much lower in America, which is why you have to do about 2,000 hours of "proving" in light stuff before anyone will even look at you.