View Full Version : Living overseas - advice needed

Bucket
2nd Mar 2009, 19:22
I'm looking into the logistics of moving overseas whilst still remaining employed and drawing my flight crew salary here in the UK. Would any Prunners with experience and sound advice be willing to share their thoughts, ideas and guidance about this.

The intention is to start a small guest house and camp site business in France so advice from crew who have experience of living there would be of particular interest. I appreciate that under the current financial climate some of you may well advise againgst starting any such venture however at this stage all I am doing is a thorough self brief and investigation.

Open forum or PM if you feel it appropriate.

Thanks

:ok:

Flintstone
2nd Mar 2009, 19:29
Bite the bullet and pay for professional advice, don't rely on what you'll be told here. Well intentioned it may be but there's no replacement for proper advice.

As for the campsite, might not be as daft as it sounds. Aren't people more likely to go caravanning or camping when times are hard?

Paradise Lost
2nd Mar 2009, 19:44
You will be joining several colleagues who commute via FR/EZ to work back in the UK, largely due to the better quality of life/ food / tax regime over La Manche.
I wouldn't dare contradict the Flintmeister, so I guess you gotta bite some bullets iaw his instructions above. Alarmingly, I tend to agree with him this time! :rolleyes:

pilotbear
3rd Mar 2009, 01:59
me too flinty:E

PPRuNeUser0215
3rd Mar 2009, 07:17
1. Chose a region/area allowing a commute which is easily compatible with your roster, work pattern, International schools....
2. Do dry runs... ie rent or book yourself in "chambre d'hotes or whatever" and do it for a few weeks/months. See how it goes and decide what you need to do with regards to cars, car park, accommodation when on SBY in the UK, short series of days off, cost, practicalities, etc...
3. Contact the Tfry group (for example) to get your proper tax regime changed should you go ahead with the idea.
4. Equally when in France, you can go to the tax office (Centre des Impots) and declare yourself as resident. Normally only one form to fill in once a year, declaring all your income earned in France (0 if no business) and in the UK (your salary). You can only be taxed once so it is pretty much just a paperwork exercise.
4. Whilst in France (or wherever), renting and "training to be a commuter", look around, get a feel for the place and begin to understand this new way of life.
5. Setting up a business in France, is unfortunately, not as easy nor as cheap as it is in the UK. I do not know the "campsite business" but as a rule, always plenty of taxes to pay before you can operate (URSSAF if you have a declared employee etc..). There may be some literature (from an english perspective) so have a look. Paperwork still rules :cool:
6. France is great (for those who like it) but some things aren't as practical as it is in the UK. Some are better... Learn to live with both ;). You can maybe have a look at websites such as Angloinfo which may or may not offer a good insight.
7. The property market as taken a hit like anywhere else but since it is never has speculative as in the UK, it has been less than where you are at the mo. Remember though, when it goes up, it won't be by as much either. Kind of a more traditional market if you like. The Sterling is very low right now and with house prices stable or decreasing, you have to take that into account. Could work well once (if) both pick up again. Here I come back to my idea of renting for a while. Might seem like dead money but for the reasons stated above, maybe not such a bad idea.
8. Do not import Marmite :=:eek: please. :)

Not exactly acurate I am sure but apart from the "setting up a business" thing, this is how I did it after having left the place for nearly 13 years. One advantage though, I speak French.

Good luck and enjoy it.

McDoo
3rd Mar 2009, 11:19
Hi Bucket.

I am planning an almost identical venture. Do you speak French? They introduced a rule a couple of months ago requiring proficiency in the lingo (there is a test:eek:) before non residents are allowed to purchase property in France.

Renting would be OK I believe but common sense would suggest you need to be pretty fluent if you are going to run a business there.

Cheers,
McD:ok:

PPRuNeUser0215
3rd Mar 2009, 11:40
They introduced a rule a couple of months ago requiring proficiency in the lingo (there is a test) before non residents are allowed to purchase property in France

Could you please point me towards such reference ? Seems a little strange and I wonder what the story is.

Buying a House or Property in France - AngloINFO (http://france.angloinfo.com/countries/france/housebuy.asp)

Normally a good (but unofficial) source for Expats.

McDoo
3rd Mar 2009, 13:54
It came from an article here:

French News | Life in France including Culture, Food & Wine (http://www.french-property.com/news/french_life/)

I can't, however, find any reference to it now so please take this info as unverified. I will post again when I can confirm if this new rule is really in effect.

Anyone else heard about it?

Cheers,

McD

PPRuNeUser0215
5th Mar 2009, 12:20
I was a bit intrigued so I contacted directly the website mentioned above. They have kindly replied the following.
Hi AMEX,

I think someone was playing an April Fool's prank on you.

There are no language requirements at all about buying French property,
or even living in France.

***@french-property.com

So there we go. I am the fool but someone will be wiser ;)

McDoo
6th Mar 2009, 14:40
AMEX,

Very sorry - I think I inadvertently stitched you up there. It was definitely mentioned on that website a couple of months back. Maybe they realised it was disinformation and deleted it quietly.

At least I won't have to teach Mrs McD French now, she can learn at her own pace later. :ok:

PPRuNeUser0215
7th Mar 2009, 20:32
:ok: He he no worries. I was interested anyway.... The truth is out there ! :}:}