PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL to South African ATPL conversion

bluelearjetdriver
2nd Mar 2009, 19:07
Now here's a new topic.....:ok: There is loads of info floating about doing it the other way around and the search function has a fit of hysteria when the appropriate information is entered

I am wanting to convert my JAA ATPL to a South African ATP.

Inquiries to the SACAA elicited the following response: "eisch, I do not knooooow (nose picking and gear changing was heard), I will put you through to somebody who does..........beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

My situation is as follows:
2000hrs TT
1400hrs A320 time
Full JAR ATPL
A320 rated and current
FI rating (which I would also like to convert)
I have rights to live and work in SA

Any information would be appreciated.

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Mar 2009, 03:12
Well, I would suggest as a minimum.

Class I Medical.
Write Air Law and Procedures.
Pass ATPL skills test in an aircraft.
The last is where it could gets tricky because Part 61 changes the ball park fences.
I think now, for an ATPL initial issue, you will have to fly your ATPL initial check ona complex multi crew aircraft. At minimum something like a B200. If you want to put an A320 on your licence, you will have to possibly do the whole conversion.
The best bet is to go to call CAA and make an appointment to talk with someone in Flight Section or Standards. I have always found them very helpful and you can get to see them-unlike other places.
Oh yes, by the way, if you rang, for example, the UK CAA and asked them how you convert SA ATPL to a JAA ATPL you would not get much of a different response I suspect, only the absolute guarentee that it would be made as hard for you as possible.

Bucket
3rd Mar 2009, 10:21
I sort of did this a few years ago. I had a fATPL at the time so in effect a CPL. I wrote the SA CPL exams, medical, flight test and that was it. I'm looking to write the ATPL exams now as back up option to returning to SA.

I agree with previous post; speak to FCL in SA CAA. They are (or certainly were) a very helpful and pleasant bunch of people to deal with. If you can make a personal visit (holiday perhaps) then that would reap huge dividends.

bluelearjetdriver
3rd Mar 2009, 18:11
Thanks for that folks :)