PDA

View Full Version : Qr Upgrades

CAPT LABAN
2nd Mar 2009, 17:54
Will QR stop upgrades in 2009 ?
We all know there is 41 F/Os in line for upgrade this days but we also know that QR just hired 80 DEC and 65 non rated F/O s . It would not be a first time that upgrades are put on hold while training department is busy training new DEC and F/O to w/b fleet while upgrades and A320 guys are on hold waiting for better days. Make sense or not ?

Capt Krunch
3rd Mar 2009, 04:22
CAPT LABAN

They just did a bunch of command interviews assessments yesterday. That should tell you something about your assumptions. after all, it is 2009 correct?

some people never ceases to amaze me:rolleyes:. It is not that hard to find out those particular facts.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

CAPT LABAN
3rd Mar 2009, 06:47
Yea true so what ? Now you need to train them 41 or after assessment maybe 25 . In 2007 oct command upgrades where put on hold for 7 months due to new DEC and F/O which finish SIM in UK Jikad or so and if they do not start the SIM within 2 months there SIM expire that was the reason to stop upgrades who can tell me it will not happen this time ?
Interweaves are done yesterday but 60% which is expected to pass have to go for command course which will be split in 3 groups and only after that and some ground class they can start SIM . How many SIM we have ? 2 airbus SIM and we have over 140 new hired pilots . They will stop it and its a fact but just wait when and see . Last trained Capt on A320 was 5y 9 months in QR . Its not a short time to wait .

Hajj Man
3rd Mar 2009, 12:26
Capt Laban,
Yes this is a rumours network but try to be at least close to some sort of facts.What are you trying to do? are you trying to stir the pot? All your numbers are wrong. I would suggest you go back to your source of information and take a note pad or recorder and listen to what is said and don't try to remember the numbers and then come to regurgitate them here.
Stop in 2009, it is trying to increase in 2009.
41 to upgrade? wrong some pulled out, withdrew. Five I think.
80 DECS? more than that
65 non-typed? more.
split into 3 groups? 4 or 5 minimum.
5 years 9 months? Try just around 4 years
2 airbus sims? you have to add in the 777 sim cause that is where most are going..
I have to agree with you that the training department is in a true mess right now with this guy whom they have at the helm. It is capable of doing more than 4 upgrades a month, whenever they start, if they will go back to the A-330 and A-320 for the upgrades. Only doing the A-320 is not enough.

HM:ok:

CAPT LABAN
3rd Mar 2009, 15:15
Hajj Man . If you read i mention 2 airbus SIM and thats true i didnt mention 777 SIM .
At the moment we have 450 F/O . If they do 4/month the last one will be upgraded in 12 y time 1y +/- . If they do 8 it goes down to 6 y .
I had a flight with Capt just promoted and he is 5 y 9 months in airline.
Was upgrade stooped in late 2007 for 6-7 months due to new jojning pilot YES it was . How long it took to get clereance for this 42 guys from above 4 months YES . Since you are selected till you start training its about half year if youre seniority is good.
Yes they want to increase number but with new pilots and QR well organized training department i think upgrades will not increase and you must know that we have 40-45 % failure on command trining and intervew means if you plan to have 40 Capt you will end up with 26 who will pass.
Only hope is those F/O s leaving to Watanaya and Air Asia and Etihad will move guys behind up on seniority .

glidder
3rd Mar 2009, 15:39
:rolleyes:Just wonder,

How many senior F/Os would be keen for upgrade at dogfreighter:E 300 if offered? In other words, would you mind if a junior F/O would have this offer instead of you?:confused:

CAPT LABAN
3rd Mar 2009, 16:16
Not in QR . game stay on A300 and get promoted faster do not work some people already try and they still wait .
One good think in QR is seniority if followed to the MAX.
Bed fact is that QR just hired DEC which will get there hands on brand new B777 and some on A330 while A320 skippers will remain doing bad flights with bad rosters and low total income ( this is how you thank senior guy ) .
try to do it in Air France or LH or BA come from out side ant tell them you want B777 or any w/b . 100% you will get turboprop or mini AVRO cant dream of w/b fleet DEC . But as always we work in airline where only 2-3 management pilots have university degree all the rest are there only because someone like them or they are one which will never say NO to 9 floor.
I know 3 pilots management with university degree ( L.M, S.S.S, M.S ) all the rest is Oxford fast course or USA or Australia fast pilot course .
It show the level of education of the people who are drawing lines in QR.

Fubaliera
3rd Mar 2009, 17:49
I have no idea about command upgrade, but I asked the the 777 training cordinator and he said no 320 f/o upgrade to 777 f/o since last October
2 A320 Capt to upgrade to 777 fleet this month.

glidder
4th Mar 2009, 08:03
Let me put like this:
U are a 330/777 F/O with 3 years in the company, fully qualified for upgrade, but, guess what? 200 guys ahead of u. That means +2 1/2 years on the right... U decided to wait and see. 6 months latter, another F/O on the 300 got the qualifications and start his upgrade training (no dec available). In short, F/O 6 months junior, got upgraded 2 years earlier...:{
Think about it...:rolleyes:

CAPT LABAN
4th Mar 2009, 16:19
Do you think that there is no F/O on A330 or 340 who flown A300 ?? There is and they can be send to A300 for upgrade .

glidder
4th Mar 2009, 18:57
Capt Laban

I don't think, I know that there are ex 300 F/O's on 330, 340 and 777. The question is : are u willing to be upgraded on 300 if possible? I have no personnal interest on upgrades, I had my some time ago and my time (golden times) on 300 are long time gonne. I don't know how is it now, however, it doesn't seem very nice with this cargo only... Not the best type for the market as well... but, an upgrade is an upgrade (specially if u can make it faster)... In conclusion, heads up for those interested on that, maybe a good suggestion for your busy fleet manager:E

shneidertrophy
4th Mar 2009, 21:33
I am afraid Capt Labans worries are correct....

With upgrades being done only on A320, most FOs will be in for a long waiting period. They should start upgrading on other fleets as well, but with different require,ents so you let the people decide for themselves.

For example:

A300: egible after 3 years/5000 hrs
A320: Idem
A330: 5 years / 7000hrsTT
B777: Idem

That way people can decide for themselves. For those who think flying a big jet makes them a better pilot...wait longer. For those who think they need to get into a left seat asap...Go to the slave fleets!

All in all I agree with Glidder (what a name), a command is a command, what type of airplane it is done on does not matter at all!

Then again, all this is pure speculation and for now upgrades are/will be only done on the A320 fleet. Wait wait wait...

Patience is a worthy value!

Safari Goat
7th Mar 2009, 04:34
I heard that 6 interviewed on 2March and 6 more will interview on 9March. Anyone knows how the first 6 did in the interviews already?

Fubaliera
27th Mar 2009, 19:37
I heard 14

shneidertrophy
27th Mar 2009, 20:00
With all the management changes going on now, and S.S. being put in the CPT seat, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel here.

S.S. has been in favour in the past for right to left seat upgrades. I.M. was totally against. So maybe now they might be rethinking to do that, at least on A330 since that fleet will become basically a mix of 320 and 300 flying. A330 will loose most of its glamour destinations in the next two years, taking over a lot of subcontinental flights from the A320 (babybus will become the moneymaker as long as the crisis looms around the corner).B777 will take most high profile destinations.

So yes, right to left on A330 might become a possibility again for upgrades. This doubles the training capacity in Doha so things might go a bit faster again...

Assumptions....assumptions...assumptions

Smirnoff N21
28th Mar 2009, 09:46
there might be a light at the end of the tunnel here. hopefully it's not a train... Honestly best of luck and may I be proven wrong for the benefit of others.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!:ok: