PDA

View Full Version : Crabs. Why crabs?

charliegolf
2nd Mar 2009, 16:57
No not that reason (downtown Donny in the AAITC thread), but why are RAF personnel called crabs?

I've heard a couple of lines, but anyone got anything for sure on this?

CG

Make that a pissin' contest if you can:ok:

Been Accounting
2nd Mar 2009, 17:02
It comes from the colour of Crab fat!

Sloppy Link
2nd Mar 2009, 17:03
CG,
From the title I thought you were trying to jutify the existence of the Royal Air Force, that would have been an interesting chain of posts but the reality is far more boring........

The RAF were equipped with surplus uniforms destined for the Imperial Russian Army that were coloured similar to the paste issued to Jolly Jack Tar to cure crabs.

AIDU
2nd Mar 2009, 17:05
That was easy. Thread over in two responses. I am sure it will drag on for some time though as people say the same thing over and over again.

charliegolf
2nd Mar 2009, 17:07
3 responses I believe. Doh, now 4. Thanks both.

CG

AIDU
2nd Mar 2009, 17:09
That was easy. Thread over in two responses

Mine wasn't a response to your question. Your question was answered in the first two responses.:rolleyes:

charliegolf
2nd Mar 2009, 17:20
That'll be 5 then.

Airborne Aircrew
2nd Mar 2009, 17:52
There is another quite feasible answer to the question and it originates on the drill square, (that should probably have been capitalized for the Drill Pigs out there.. :}).

It certainly used to be that the order "Sideways March" was simply that: an order to start marching sideways that would be terminated with a command to Halt. In the other forces the command Sideways March was always preceded with "X paces..." and there was a limit to the number of paces they could march sideways. If they were to be moved further they would first be turned right or left, marched into position and then turned back into line.

When this was first noticed by our less "flexible" cousins they noted that we were like crabs.

NOTE: I don't claim this to be the actual reason but simply a reason that was proffered to me as genuine.

Six...:ok: