PDA

View Full Version : Marine One material traced back to Iran

brickhistory
2nd Mar 2009, 14:44
You don't say...

Marine 1 Blueprints Found On File Sharing Network - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh (http://www.wpxi.com/news/18818589/detail.html#-)

Tiversa (http://www.tiversa.com/) employees found engineering and communications information about Marine One at an IP address in Tehran, Iran.”We found a file containing entire blueprints and avionics package for Marine One, which is the president's helicopter," said Bob Boback, CEO of Tiversa.

The company was able to trace the file back to its original source."What appears to be a defense contractor in Bethesda, Md., had a file sharing program on one of their systems that also contained highly sensitive blueprints for Marine One," Boback said.Iran is not the only country that appears to be accessing this type of information through file-sharing programs.“We've noticed it out of Pakistan, Yemen, Qatar, and China. They are actively searching for information that is disclosed in this fashion because it is a great source of intelligence,” Boback said.

brickhistory
2nd Mar 2009, 14:58
Dunno.

If, as President Obama indicated last week, he decides he doesn't want a new ride, DoD doesn't need an 'out.'

If anything, I would think that if the specs of the current Marine One are out there, that would be more of a reason for a new helicopter.

My point in posting this was to show how easy it is for potential adversaries to get info that we might not like them to get.

brickhistory
2nd Mar 2009, 15:30
Again, I don't know.

The fact that the specs, including the avionics suite details, are in Tehran, and other places probably, is a little more worrisome.

brickhistory
2nd Mar 2009, 15:44
Err, it is the current Marine One plans that were revealed, I believe.

As I'd like to make the thread about protection of sensitive military information in the computer age and you'd like to discuss the machinations of corporate and government contracting mechanisms, perhaps we can have different threads?

Pontius Navigator
2nd Mar 2009, 16:08
We know they have the plans and we know they know we know they have the plans. But do they know we know they know we know?

"The Mouse that Roared"

We know they have the plans and we hope they don't know we know they have the plans so they will not be expecting us to change the plans.

"The Man who never was."

This is great for conspiracy theorists.

fleigle
2nd Mar 2009, 23:01
But are they the REAL plans ??? (shades of Concordski and the TU-??? VC-10 lookalike, where there was a suspicion that the "bad" designs were leaked).
Just a thought.
f

denachtenmai
3rd Mar 2009, 09:14
fliegle,I think you mean concordski and IL 62' VC10 lookalike.
regards Den.

ShinjukuHustler
3rd Mar 2009, 12:43
So what if they have the blueprints for Marine 1. Does anyone seriously think they are going to build a copy? Maybe if they did they could call it 'Ayotollah-1'

drustsonoferp
3rd Mar 2009, 21:44
Sharp.

I wish I was such a natural comic.

stumpey
4th Mar 2009, 03:13
They have probably been sub contracted by some sub contracter to do some (Sub stardard) work on it.
Oh sorry, this is America. Would never happen. No. Cause not.

GRYHZE
4th Mar 2009, 04:51
This is a calculated release of "information" by a consortium of corporate interests involved in the development of Marine 1 v2. It was only last week that the NYT and other news outlets reported the overbudgeted, long delayed development status of the new helicopter. If you want to make a case to continue funding, just announce the blueprints and avionics (no reference if it was the latest avionics or some 20 year old equipment). Timing is everything.:rolleyes:

ORAC
4th Mar 2009, 06:24
Reminds me of the cartoon after the P-3 had to land in China. The picture showed a worried looking Gernal briefing a committee. The punchline was along the lines of:

"The bad news is they've been able to reverse engineer all the equipment on board. The good news is they say the can do spare parts at 50% off."

brickhistory
4th Mar 2009, 13:04
You're right. The corporate conspiracy theory makes much more sense.

Why would the avionics fit for Marine One be of use to anyone?

It's not like the President uses it to travel around the US or foreign lands.

Nope, knowing the ECM capabilities would be of no value whatsoever to someone looking to make a 'splash' in the headlines. (Pun intended).

The fact that such material is so easily accessed and transmitted is not worrisome. Nor the fact that cyber crime - ID theft, intellectual property theft, R & D (civilian and goverment) theft is a $1 trillion a year industry. The fact that it is so easy to enter into personal, corporate, and government computers and networks either through design or stupidity is not a problem.

Nope, 'sticking' it to the corporate man is much more plausible.