View Full Version : Most terrifying landings article

Tickle
2nd Mar 2009, 02:21
Saw this on the news site, a compilation of the most terrifying landings and discussing why / where they happen, with videos.

Would love to here opinions from pilots who actually fly these approaches!

Link:
Most terrifying plane landings | Travel News | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25104842-5014090,00.html)

Bushfiva
2nd Mar 2009, 03:23
Another quality news item from Fox "journos", and I use the term in the loosest possible manner. I see Kate Schneider is also responsible for "Virgin fear as plane dives...passengers report air conditioning problems", "World's scariest runways" and "World's worst cruise ships".

A Comfy Chair
2nd Mar 2009, 07:34
You'll see that in a lot of those videos, or those airports, it isn't the runway itself (after all, its just a strip of concrete) but the weather conditions making it difficult. Places like St Maarten are interesting to see, but it makes no difference to the aircraft if it is a rock or a person short of the runway... its somewhere you can't land either way!

I can see you're from Melbourne... go down to the airport when the change comes through tomorrow evening (from a 60 gusting to 110 kph northerly to a 50 gusting to 80kph westerly) and you might see some fun and games!

corsair
2nd Mar 2009, 16:36
The Skiathos video reminded me of my hotel on Rhodes. Hotel Margaret for you enthusiasts. It was a cheap holiday in Kremasti, the brochure did mention the possibility of aircraft noise. As I stepped off the coach the first thing I see is a 757 flying straight at us. Up to our room and out onto the balcony and there was the runway a few miles away. I'd say the view wasn't that dissimilar to that of any of the pilots. :eek:

The arrivals started around five in the morning. You never hear them coming, then wham they were overhead, followed the cracking of the vortices hitting the roof. Fantastic, I enjoyed it but I was kept awake by a stupid cock crowing on a nearby farm. If I only had a gun!:*

aviatordom
3rd Mar 2009, 18:44
How come's Funchal Madeira isn't on the list?

Difficult approach, right beside the mountains and part of the runway is on platforms over the sea!

Yay!!!
4th Mar 2009, 20:23
Its probably because its not a very well known airport:)

dany4kin
8th Mar 2009, 07:53
I've realised I've spent far too much time on youtube, when I know I've already seen all those videos just from the still images.

eeeek.

Should that be (G) eeeeek?!

anotherglassofwine
9th Mar 2009, 17:22
"A pilot strikes fear into the heart of his passengers while attempting to land at Portugal’s Lisbon airport."

There was actually no crosswind at all, the pilot was just trying to have the craic...:ugh: