PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA

triocean
1st Mar 2009, 19:05
Hey guys, I've read a lot of previous posts on this subject and have become familiar with LASORS, section G. I have also spoken to the chief pilot of EFT European Flight training based out of FL.

I have 5400 total time and well over 1300 hours as captain in multi crew planes. From what I gather; I will have to go to the UK to get my initial first class medical, and get my UK restricted radiotelephony operators permit. It looks like most of the other stuff can be waived. Does this sound right?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

triocean
1st Mar 2009, 21:55
After doing some more research, I will hold out until I have 1500 PIC in multi crew aircraft, hopefully another two months (does that have to be in aircraft larger then 40 tons???). I will have to take two writtens: VHF, and HF, and then a practical test on the ground working the radios, plus the medical [(what is the typical cost for intitial first class medical?) one person said $800, I hope he didn't mean 800 Pounds].

The study guide web site is: Search Results | Search for ?cap 413? in the Search all CAA category - Result no. 1 to 10 | CAA (http://caa.searchimprove.com/search.aspx?pc=&pckid=263320194&aid=267271&pt=6018936&addid=&sw=cap%20413&group=274618655&swtype=all)

If anyone else needs it.

Thanks

redsnail
1st Mar 2009, 23:20
I think it's 30 tonnes.

One thing to remember, that conversion will be valid for G reg (that is UK) aircraft only. If you want to fly for any other airline based in other countries, you'll have to do the rest of the exams.

You'll also need to do a LST (License Skills Test) as well, observed by the CAA.
That will take some organising.....

tdk90
2nd Mar 2009, 00:18
It's 3000hrs in a/c 30000kgs or greater half of which has to be PIC or P1, flying scheduled international routes or similar. At the end of it all as someone mentioned you'll get a G registered ATPL for UK a/c only.

I think you need air law + human perf in addition to the rt theory.

I'm not sure what you fly but I'm an CRJ Captain here in the states, the -700 meets the weight requirement but the -200 doesn't even though it's the same type rating.

After investigating all possibilities, I decided to sit all 14 exams then do a ME CPL IR as the easiest and most useful option. I did look at getting it done via an ATPL skills test in the RJ observed by a CAA Flt Ops type but quickly abandoned the idea when I tried to get a JAA TRTO to do it + figured out that the CAA would charge me several thousand pounds just to watch my sim check with the possibility of paying it all over again if I partialled.

I'd get your medical done first if I were you, it's definitely not a given, despite you presumably holding another 1st class somewhere else.

youngskywalker
2nd Mar 2009, 08:55
It is much easier to pass the initial JAA class one medical if you already hold an ICAO CPL and first class medical, you will be tested on 'renewal' standards which are much less stringent. Must be taken at Gatwick, cost was about £280 ish last summer.

triocean
4th Mar 2009, 23:01
Thanks to everyone.