PDA

View Full Version : Other jobs suitable for pilots

simonsmith
1st Mar 2009, 14:41
Hello,

I passed my PPL, but didn't pass the medical for a professional license.

So I was wondering if people could suggest other roles/jobs which have the same mental and physical aptitude as flying does?

I thought about ATC, but I'm not keen on sitting around, so happy to consider any roles outside aviation.

Thanks

Simon

pipertommy
1st Mar 2009, 15:50
Flight dispatcher??

ewsd02
2nd Mar 2009, 19:19
You can become an instructor with a JAR PPL if you have passed the CPL theory exams and have a few hours, something like 200 p1 I think, but check LAZORS.

The two downsides are:
1. You can't be paid officially on a PPL, although changes are afoot in EASA that might alter this situation.

2. Instructor jobs are difficult to come by just now, although this again will change in time.

I don't know about your medical, but if you really want to fly, I'm sure you'll find a way. Otherwise, have a look round an airport and see what else might interest you.
Good luck.

Flintstone
2nd Mar 2009, 19:24
Not sure that this will work seeing as you stopped at PPL level but a friend and colleague, after a career in the military, airlines and bizjets, now works at a power station. Someone realised that one of the aspects of modern flying (systems monitoring) is common to that line of work.

He's more than happy. Stable roster, no jet lag, decent pay.

BelArgUSA
2nd Mar 2009, 19:42
Besides flight dispatcher, or any position in operations office, suggest maybe to check with cargo airline for fly-along loadmaster positions. Could also be a part-time "fly-along when required" and ground based position for most of the time. When flying you are part of the crew, and sleep, and awake, to offload and onload the aircraft while the flight crew sleeps in hotel. They oversee the proper loading of aircraft, secure pallets, cargo door opening/closing. Loading computations and CG done with a laptop computer nowadays.
xxx
When flying for Cargolux and MK Cargo contracts on 747, I had loadmasters as part of the crew, they spent some 2 weeks "with the aircraft" on the road, then back at base, went home for a week. You might be "ripe" at times, as a few days might pass from the last shower to the next shower, but you might see a hotel from time to time, maybe just for the shower and relax 2 hrs on the bed. Pay is not great, but decent.
xxx
Good luck -
:)
Happy contrails

P.S.
Try the FAA 1st Class Medical. Somewhat more lenient than CAA/JAR.

SpannerInTheWerks
3rd Mar 2009, 02:10
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think the medical for ATC is similar to (if not the same as) that of a Class One?!

I have a friend who works in the operations department of a well-known freight airline and has done so for many years.

The other suggestions above are obviously valid.

One other suggestion - cabin crew?! I have met some great people over the years. There are perceived stereotypes, but in reality a very mixed bag of people who (generally) seem to have a good laugh - whilst undertaking a vital jobs as a part of the flying team.

KR

SITW :)

K.Whyjelly
3rd Mar 2009, 11:53
I thought about ATC, but I'm not keen on sitting around

Simon

I spent the best part of 10 hours sitting down a few days ago coming back from the US and I'm a pilot:hmm:. At least in ATC you can get up and go somewhere different for your rest break.

Slipstream86
4th Mar 2009, 10:45
How about A/C engineering?

captain_rossco
4th Mar 2009, 15:05
The attention to detail and multi tasking abilities tend to make for very, very good pastry chefs.

Regards
Ross

diamond1
5th Mar 2009, 11:57
You cant do the instructing route as you still need a class 1 medical even if you only have a PPL. I would reccomend Cabin Crew, you get to spend time in the cockpit and play a vital part in safety of the aircraft which is what its all about. You'll be on the same or similar rosters as the pilots. Good luck with your choice!:ok: