View Full Version : 707 vs DC8

pax britanica
1st Mar 2009, 07:02
Being old enough to remember the heyday of these wonderful machines I wondered if any pilots from that era recall if there was the same diversity of opinion regardin the 707 and the Diesel 8 ( whay was it called that-smokey or just a bit agricultural??) that sometimes arises between Boeing and Airbus pilots today.

I realise the degree of difference was not the same as the A v B thing but I imagine there were preferences.

From an enthusiast/pax point of view I always seemed to prefer the DC8 although perhaps thatwas because there were not so many at LHR in those days -70s seemed to predominate.

I had a friend who flew 707s and he said they were pretty nice to fly much of the time but a terrible handful if you lost an engine at the wrong time and heavy going trying to flya holding pattern manually on way into LHR but he was very proud of his time on them.

Anyway welcome views if anyone has 5 mins to spare also fellow pax/enthusiast comments on preferences

PB

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2009, 07:54
I flew both - 707 and DC8...
The 707-100, 300 and 720s, and the DC8-50, 60 and 70s.
Passenger and cargo airplanes.
1970 through 1988... and a few "ferries" to desert cemeteries in the 1990s.
xxx
We talked a lot about them recently here in Pprune.
Just make a little research in my recent postings, plenty on the subject.
Problem with me, if you start me on the subject, you cannot stop me.
xxx
I have a tendency of waiting for some to write their ideas first.
A few other 707/DC8 pilots will probably join-in the conversation.
All about their nuts and bolts, and how good and bad they flew.
Then I will jump in.
xxx
:D
Happy contrails

b377
1st Mar 2009, 12:39
Our amigo BelArg has provided sterling information in the Jet to Turbofan Convertion thead in the Tech and History & Nostalgia topics still relatively fresh.

IMHO the 707 is the best looking one of all first generation jets including the VC10 . Nice lines.

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/362599-boeing-707-transition-turbojet-turbofan.html