PDA

View Full Version : converting an australian cpl to JAA atpl frozen?

rsy2
1st Mar 2009, 02:11
Hi all i'm currently in the process of flight training and obtaining an Australian CPL and once obtained would like to convert it to a JAA CPL to fly for North Cyprus airways. What avenues would I have to take to obtain this and what is the best and least time consuming approach?

Whirlygig
1st Mar 2009, 08:54
The first step is to download LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591).

Basically you will have to sit the 14 ATPL exams, complete flying training as required to pass the CPL skill test, the IR conversion is at least 15 hours plus test.

There is more to it but LASORS will give you the information applicable to your exact situation.

Cheers

Whirls

Charlie Foxtrot India
1st Mar 2009, 12:28
There is not much point in doing an Australian CPL unless you are going to fly commercially here.
You would be better to do the minimum hours here, then do the JAR modular course and exams there.
Having an Australian CPL won't give you much of an advantage as you would need to re-do much of the training to be able to fly safely in what is a very different environment. Good luck!

Aussie John
1st Mar 2009, 18:27
Hi there, am in the process of doing it myself, u have to take the 14 atpl exams, as well as do the JAA CPL and IR training. Its a pain in the neck and costing me an arm and a leg, but will be a great career move in the long run. Wish I'd done it in the first place really instead of my Aussie CPL, but hindsight's a great thing.