PDA

View Full Version : RVSM routes

cvgpilot
28th Feb 2009, 16:43
This was posted in the SE Asia forums, but perhaps it could be answered in the tech section..

For those familiar with flying in SE Asia.....
Last month I was flying from Kuala Lampur to Kuching. Our handler filed us for G334 and approx FL mid 30s.
Upon takeoff, ATC seemed very confused. They initially gave us a low altitude, then tried to switch us over to M761 at a low altitude, which would not have worked for fuel.
I may have G334 and M761 confused, but they are both East-west oriented routes that pretty much parallel each other.
So we are trying to find out what the problem is, especially with our fuel situation being low. ATC then comes on asking our RVSM ability. We are RVSM capable. Apparently the filed route was for non rvsm planes only and we of course wanted to be on the RVSM higher altitude route. Looking at the enroute charts, there is no notes or visible differences between the two, but for ATC purposes, one is RVSM and the other is not.
Does anyone have any idea how this happened? Or how I can tell the difference between the two? Is it on the charts somewhere? Or NOTAMed? Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.