PDA

View Full Version : Divert Airports

cvgpilot
28th Feb 2009, 14:38
Hello,
I'm trying to make a list of the most common used divert airports so we can have a list of commonly approved alternates, primarily in oceanic operations. I'm familiar with the ones used in North Atlantic ops. Goose Bay, Gander, Kef, Azores, Shannon, Bermuda. Then Easter Island. Anchorage, Shemya, Petropavlosk (spelling). Wake Island, Midway, Honolulu. Maldives. Could I get some input as to others that you have seen? Perhaps as Equal Time point diverts? Obscure ones are great, and anywhere in the world is appreciated and I'll research them from there....
Thanks again.

BelArgUSA
28th Feb 2009, 15:03
Hola cvgpilot -
xxx
For Easter Island, got bad news for you. No alternate. Or go back SCL.
If you depart for Easter Island, before the next airplane following you can depart, you must land there, and arrive safely, be clear OFF the runway, so not to prevent the next from landing there. When you depart back for Chile, you must have passed your ETP before they will clear another flight to proceed.
xxx
Check Chile AIP. Maybe their procedure might have changed.
xxx
Some other places bring similar concerns. I once flew a DC8-73 MAC charter flight for US Navy staff personnel from Sigonella, Sicily, to Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean. We had to be quite "constructive" for planning. If I recall correctly, CMB was our alternate. We had to have quite a bit of alternate + reserve fuel.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

Broomstick Flier
28th Feb 2009, 19:09
Hola Paul!

Indeed this is still the valid procedure for Isla de Pascua. It is my understanding that the same applies when arriving/departing from/to the west, i.e. Tahiti.

Enjoy a cold beer for me at Campeche Beach, would you? :ok:

@cvgpilot
Under JAR you can make use of a fuel policy called "isolated destination" where you don't elect an ALTN but weather at destination must be VFR and at least 2hrs extra fuel must be loaded.

Bermuda for example is not that bad, I normally use KILG as ALTN when we have flights transiting through, mainly coming west from Europe on a short legged biz jet (Falcon 2000)

Manaus (SBEG) is one a tricky one, as the closest airport with 24/7 customs and immigration is Boa Vista (SBBV), 360Nm to the north. Depending on the leg's lenght you might not arrive with much extra over there.

Ascencion Aux (FHAW) is another difficult one, closest land mass is Roberts Int'l (Liberia) and Abdijan, both over 850Nm away.

Gran saludos

BF