View Full Version : A few things..

CocoCue
28th Feb 2009, 13:00
I'm eager in aviation, I love planes and I would like to be a Pilot.
I'm currently a teenager, and with the Air Cadets. (I have no intentions to join any armed-forces).
I have a few back-up plans with ICT and business and the like.

I do ICT, French, Business, Citizenship and History along with other cores.

Do you think being a pilot is the right thing for me?

Thanks in advance!

Lon More
28th Feb 2009, 13:04
Impossible to tell from that although it looks a bit light on science subjects. Have you had any air experience flights or a trial lesson at a local flying club?

CocoCue
28th Feb 2009, 13:05
I've just joined the Air Cadets, so not as of this minute.
I'm in my second year in my GCSEs, and I do Science but I haven't chosen extra science.

under_exposed
28th Feb 2009, 14:56
First, I am not a pilot.

Second, take a look here and see if it scares you. (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/6911-full-story-start-end.html#post73244)

Third, find out what the job really involves.

Fourth, IT can be good fun (it is what I do).

Fifth, good luck whatever you decide to do.

SoundBarrier
28th Feb 2009, 18:39
CocoCue it is not for us to tell you if aviation is for you, but some people here can give you an insight as to what is entailed. Carrier put a brilliant post in the forum http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/362586-my-new-life.html which gives you a fair about of information as to how to get into the industry.

Having got this far you will have indeed thought about flying and enjoy it as an idea. What you need to do is try and go for a training flight. I went for my first training flight at the age of 15 years and from then on I was hooked. All my sciences at school helped explain certain aspects of flying and my choice of subject was aimed at a flying career.

Don't worry if your first flight is overwhelming or if you get sick, I have seen some one with a CPL (Commerical Pilots License) who worked through motion sickeness and now flies 737's!

So what you need to do is:-
- Read Carriers Post in the African Forum link above
- Go for a training / trial flight
- Speak to some real world pilots at the airfield you're closest to
- Don't listen to 'nay' sayers

Finally, don't get pressured into taking a direction you do not want to. I don't fly for a living, but I do still fly for a hobby with IT as my main career (for the moment).

Good luck with finding a choice you enjoy.

Checkboard
28th Feb 2009, 18:55
I love planes and I would like to be a Pilot.

What more do you need to know? :}

It costs a lot of money - do you have access to £80,000 or so?

Saintsman
28th Feb 2009, 20:05
If you love flying, you should fly for fun.

Think about taking off on a wet and windy day. Straight into cloud and being knocked about all over the place. Sure it takes a lot of skill, but why would you want to fly in conditions like that?

Of course if you don't mind that and you realise that its not all glamour and you can find a means of paying for your training, you go for it.

CocoCue
2nd Mar 2009, 11:55
Thanks for the advice everyone; indeed I'm aware that this line of work is quite difficult. I've been told by many people to always have a backup plan, which indeed I do.

As for the money, I believe Morocco is also fairly cheap and I have family there. My father also deals with property there so we can afford it.

I would love to fly just for fun, FOR SURE!

So just another question; instead of being a commercial pilot are there other alternatives which won't be so competitive/ fine? (I'm not keen on the armed forces - Never!).

dakkg651
2nd Mar 2009, 13:18
If you love planes you should aim to become a carpenter.

If, however, it is aeroplanes that tickles your fancy then the ATC is a good move.

Exactly what have you got against the military by the way?

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Mar 2009, 13:22
Straight into cloud and being knocked about all over the place. Sure it takes a lot of skill, but why would you want to fly in conditions like that?

Because that's the best bit!

Well, second to climbing out of it and into the sunshine :ok:

Storminnorm
2nd Mar 2009, 14:57
CocoCue, buy some aviation related magazines.
My son was in his last few months at Uni, doing
a degree in Material Science & Metallurgy, and
was at a bit of a loss as to what career he was going
to follow after Uni.
I bought Flight International one week, which made
a change as I normally used to just look at the job
adverts standing in WHSmiths.
That particular week BA had an advert in for people
to apply for a job as Pilot Cadets.
He applied and got accepted much to my surprise.
They needed 200 cadets and had about 10,000
applicants.
He did the flying training bit at Prestwick, a course
of some 70 weeks sponsored by BA.
He's now a 737 Captain flying out of Gatwick.
Might be worth looking round for that sort of deal.
Best of luck to you.

PS. The Air Force is an alternative way into flying,
But no-one has ever shot at my son, as far as I know!

PPS. He did have STRONG science A levels.
Physics, Chemistry and also Maths.

chuks
2nd Mar 2009, 15:04
You might want to start with some glider flying, just to see what that is like. It is not as expensive as powered flight and many people really enjoy it.

No one knows right now what the next few years will be like in aviation but every year there are people who reach retirement age who must be replaced. The big question is whether there is a pool of people already qualified or whether new entrants can also find work.

My experience of aviation has been that people who really want to work in aviation always seem to find jobs. Notice that I didn't just write that everyone who wants to fly will find a job!

CocoCue
9th Dec 2009, 18:13
Well I've just gone flying, and had an awesome time! It was the Air Experience Flights with the Air Cadets.

They were using their fleet of Grob Tutors which are fairly small. - But anything that can fly will please me! :D

Did some aerobatics and I took control for a bit which was fun!

I'm going to try and get a Scholarship now (PPL), then probably see from there!

johnfairr
9th Dec 2009, 19:18
At the risk of repitition, as Dakkg651 asked, what do you have against the Armed Forces, the military side of things? Best training in the world and the best aeroplanes to have fun in, as you said earlier!

Whirlygig
9th Dec 2009, 19:25
I'd guess it's the risk of being shot at isn't everyone's cup of tea. :}

The military isn't for everyone and I'm glad CocoCue recognises that and doesn't join up, thereby wasting my taxes when he or she leaves as soon as possible.

Cheers

Whirls

galaxy flyer
9th Dec 2009, 19:46
As the great Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong advised a young jazz player asking about being a musician,

"If you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know."

GF