PDA

View Full Version : Viking Airlines

dexie
27th Feb 2009, 14:54
Hi,

I'm new on here but i'm hoping someone can give me some advice and put my mind at rest!
I've just booked a package holiday to go to Hurghada, flying with Viking airlines.
I've never heard of Viking airlines so i looked on some forums and found some very scary comments! Things like constant delays, dirty planes, unhelpful rude staff. I'm now really nervous at the thought of flying with them.
I phoned the travel agent i booked with and they saud they've never had any complaints about them.
I would be grateful if anyone who has flown with them recently can share any experiences with me.

Thanks
Dexie

flying macaco
27th Feb 2009, 15:02
Make sure you have ATOL protection...

brucey12401
27th Feb 2009, 15:08
I am crew for Viking airlines, our staff are not rude, we try to offer the best possible service and we all outgoing people, the only delays we have had are minor and these were months ago, all of our flights have been leaving ontime i should know i am operating on them, our aircraft are also extremley clean and very well maintained, every airline and every aircraft every once in a while have a few hiccups but, i would be pleased to be flying with viking, and make sure you ATOL protected well, were not going bust just like everyone seems to think we are, we have a busy summer flying programme our fleet is expanding along with our routes, and we are actually doing well and have a good future planned out!

plumponpies
27th Feb 2009, 15:22
Dexie
Check your pm's.

dexie
27th Feb 2009, 15:31
Thank you so much for those comments, i am starting to feel much more relaxed now!
I had noticed that most of the threads i had read were from last year or earlier. I think people read bad reviews and just panic (as i did!)

I hope it will all go smoothly and thanks again for the reassurance!

Dexie

muckin fuddle
27th Feb 2009, 15:44
I am crew for Viking airlines, our staff are not rude, we try to offer the best possible service and we all outgoing people, the only delays we have had are minor and these were months ago, all of our flights have been leaving ontime i should know i am operating on them, our aircraft are also extremley clean and very well maintained, every airline and every aircraft every once in a while have a few hiccups but, i would be pleased to be flying with viking, and make sure you ATOL protected well, were not going bust just like everyone seems to think we are, we have a busy summer flying programme our fleet is expanding along with our routes, and we are actually doing well and have a good future planned out!

Ever heard of full stops & sentances ? :ok:

Viking are pretty good though.

Cloud1
27th Feb 2009, 16:03
This is not an English grammar lesson. Strange post when you consider your spelling of 'sentences'

Do we really need the spelling/grammar police on our tails every time there is a new post?

Which aircraft do Viking Airlines operate is it the MD family or B738s?

TSR2
27th Feb 2009, 17:41
They plan to use 189 seat B737-800 aircraft.

kb..
27th Feb 2009, 20:49
Hi Dexie, I too have also just booked with them an I am also very worried after reading all the bad comments tonight.

Has anyone flown with them recently who can give a update as all the previous posts are from a while ago.

thanks

brucey12401
27th Feb 2009, 21:11
Ok what has XL got to do with Viking??? You seem to forget that Viking Airlines has been running since 2003 with well established bases in Greece, and considering several airlines have left gaps in the market, it’s a good move i think, and we all have jobs which have made all of us pleased!!! Our fleet from London is at present a single 737-800 however another 737-800 is coming in within the next few weeks, the next batch of crew are in training now, orders on the 737-300 for lease have been placed and that aircraft is due in, as well as several more 738's, the fleet of MD's is in Greece however they are going to be replaced. Were doing well and you seem to forget XL may have had a busy summer programme but what money did they have to operate it??? that would be none, Viking are not in debt like XL was so......

I don’t know why your all bothered about Viking, it’s an airline based from the UK making money, becoming well established and so far have had NO bad press or problems, the most major thing is a few minor delays over 3 months ago, when the FIRST flights were going???? so why so many issues, were a secure company if we weren’t you think I would be flying for them? I don’t think so. And my grammar??? get a life lol we’re discussing an airline not having an English lesson!

I am proud to be flying for Viking and wearing their wings, and so are all of the other members of staff crew and management, i suggest you fly with us before you pass judgement on our crew's attitude and judge our aircraft. Viking is a good airline, and in todays market and climate is doing well for itself why cant you just be pleased for someone or for an airline for once, they have created jobs, offered passengers another choice of airline to fly with, and offer a good product and service, I for one plan to be in it for the long term, and the way things are going we are going to be doing very well for ourselves.

dexie
28th Feb 2009, 14:35
Hi All,

I think people are nervous about Viking simply because of the connection with the old directors of XL.
I think maybe what has happened is as soon as one person has made bad comments on a forum everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.
I only looked up about them out of interst and then i stumbled on a forum on Trip Advisor saying horrendous things about them which panicked me!
I must say however that most of the bad comments were from a few years ago.
I did post on there saying has anyone had any recent trips and someone replied her sister had just flown with Viking and had absolutely no problems at all.
It would be nice to hear from a few moew and get some good comments posted!!

Dexie

Michael SWS
28th Feb 2009, 14:48
No amount of reassurance and positive comment is going to make a difference to your own experience when you fly with this airline. It will depend upon the weather, crew, air traffic control and fellow passengers that fate bestows upon you on the day that you fly.

You've booked the flight now, and have no further choice in who you fly with, so you should just relax and accept whatever happens. It will, in all probability, be a perfectly acceptable, trouble-free flight. Even Ryanair delivers the majority of its passengers safely, on time and reasonably comfortably.

Have a good holiday.

leisurelad
28th Feb 2009, 16:02
Hi,

We use Viking flights through Libra Holidays and Kiss Flights, our customers who have been on the flights have had no issues with them so far and to be honest, even if there is a delay, each airline will do all they can to minimise it.

Viking are no different to the likes of Thomson or Thomas Cook, they now use the modern 737-800 with more on the way so whilst they may have had problems in the past, Viking looks as though it is emerging as a reputable airline that many tour operators are using and so far, are happy with them.

Don't listen to those review sites or if you do, read between the lines, look at it in this way.
Think of the amount of passengers they fly and then look at the reviews and how many of them are bad, maybe a few upset customers because they have been delayed by an hour or so and suddenly their whole holiday has been ruined. 90% of people only use those forums to moan.

Enjoy your flight and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

brucey12401
1st Mar 2009, 23:04
Well either way, you are always going to come accross negative feedback somewere people live off of it, but sometimes not all people realise the damage it could do to an airline especially in todays climate. Viking are a good airline, we look after our passengers and unlike some airlines were not going to try and charge you to use the toilet on our aircraft! anyways you will enjoy your flight with viking i hope, and i may or may not see you onboard!

Michael SWS
2nd Mar 2009, 06:36
You wonder how Ryanair can possibly still be in business when you read the universally negative customer reviews on Skytrax, and yet they seem to go from strength to strength... It just shows that for very many people price is, indeed, everything.

summer747
2nd Mar 2009, 13:01
I just joined PPrune today and as crew for BA was a little concerned when our travel agent phoned to report our flights to Skiathos in May had been changed from Monarch to Viking!! Having never heard of this airline we were less than pleased, understandably!

Does anyone know how they compare to Monarch, who to be fair I've always been quite happy with? Do they have assigned seating or is it a bun-fight like Easyjet? Should I be demanding we get re-booked on Monarch?!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

brucey12401
3rd Mar 2009, 01:11
No we are not a low cost airline, with no frills, and no it is not all for one and one for all when it comes to our seats either, you are assigned your seat, we are a charter airline not a scheduled airline, and in comparison to Monarch, well they are well established airline, so cant really comment, all i can say is we deliver a high standard of service, have good leg room, and operate modern aircraft, just like any other charter airline to be honest, only you could be the judge of if you enjoy flying with us or not, but you will never know unless you give us a chance, no complaints so far! But in my opinion and I am not just saying this because i am crew, i know the service we deliver onboard is far better than some of the other airlines i have flown for as crew before, and flown with as a passenger! Why demand your airline changed lol, providing we get you their safely and deliver a good service what difference does it make? Which may i add both of we will do!

Captb747
3rd Mar 2009, 12:47
Should I be demanding we get re-booked on Monarch?!!!

Demand all you like but with todays economic climate and the fact Monarch may not be operating the flight, I don't think you will get very far.

I am sure Viking are fine :ok:

leisurelad
3rd Mar 2009, 16:45
Demanding to get re-booked onto Monarch again prob wont happen im afraid as Monarch have probably given the seats over to Viking for that day so not much choice. If anything, airlines can change carrier,times etc and you have little control over it, except if it is a big time change (12hrs+).

Relax, chill and enjoy your flight.

Cheers

BMIne
27th Apr 2009, 16:12
I have been reading apsects of this thread with interest as i have just flown back from Tunisia with Viking airlines, this weekend.

The flight was delayed for 4 hours at Monastir airport because the airline and airport were in dispute regarding "supposedly" unpaid fees.
Imagine the suprise of all passengers at the airport when word gradually began to filter round (because lets face it, this cannot be announced over the tannoy system) that no-one was able to offer any information regarding the length of the delay because it was the result of an ongoing financial negotiation.
We were very fortunate the delay only lasted 4 hours; most of the passengers were expecting to have to be rescued by ABTA.

As for the connection between XL and Viking. The owner of Viking used to own 50% of XL prior to the company going bust. His funds are currently believed to be tied up with Icelandic banks.

At this present moment Viking Airlines has a 0 credit rating score!
(How do i know this...... i have contacts that have checked this out for me this weekend). The company is being officially chased for even the smallest amounts of money!

On Sunday (April 26th) the passengers waiting at the UK airport for our aircraft, were told upon arrival to go home because their holiday was cancelled. Personally i feel we (the passengers waiting in Tunisia) were incredibly fortunate to get home, and that indications are pointing towards the company going under - i apologise in advance for the upset my opinion may cause any members of Viking staff reading this.

leisurelad
27th Apr 2009, 18:02
I would imagine that this is probably Ground handling contract problem meaning that something within the contract wasn't what it was supposed to be or that as it is a new route, their was a debate over the payment terms.

Strange you may think but we quite often found ourselves in this situation, especialy if it was a new route or we were working on behalf of another airline.

From what i gather the Viking fleet were out down in egypt this weekend and also Geneva.

What was your flight number, was it KAJ6401 as i expect they were operating on behalf of someone else meaning that 99% of the handling is down to the original carrier, hence there may have been problems because as far as i am aware, Viking do not fly to tunisia which i think may explain the above.

Considering Viking have been going for a long time now it would be interesting to know why they have a zero credit score.
Please verify your sources as you could be deemed to be spreading melicious and incorrect information.

MODS or Someone, can you help us out here. With a big programme planned for this year, if they couldn't get credit then 99% of airlines wouldnt be able to operate properly !!!

sirbobalot
27th Apr 2009, 20:02
The owner of Viking did not own 50% of XL, I'm pretty sure of that, the CEO of XL, Wyatt, has set up another company, Black Pearl Investments who have invested money into Viking, but he is most certainly not an owner, CEO or anything like that. Viking were a Swedish company going long before XL went bust.
Am also thinking Leisurelad is right about the situation mentioned, as as far as I was aware too, Viking do not fly to Monastir, check their website.

eliptic
27th Apr 2009, 20:29
What i can see Viking Airlines AB is a Swedish corporation and are very easy to check up if you have any concerns about economic credibility

Corporation # 556451-5251
Bokslut & Nyckeltal - Viking Airlines AB (http://www.allabolag.se/5564515251/bokslut)

Just call here and give the corporation # and they will give you a hint

Welcome to the Swedish Enforcement Authority | Kronofogden [NS4 version] (http://www.kronofogden.se/4.7856a2b411550b99fb7800086822.html)

leisurelad
27th Apr 2009, 20:43
can we get this in english ??

or can you say what it says, i can read inbetween the lines when it comes to sweedish but only with certain familiar words LOL :confused::confused:

eliptic
27th Apr 2009, 21:01
the first link are just the result for 2007 and board of director and so on,,all official!!
The board:

EXEKUTIVA BEFATTNINGAR Tadjeran, Christian Johann (f. 1960) (http://www.allabolag.se/befattningshavare/Tadjeran%252C_Christian_Johann/ec4fb80dac7d0ebb57eee8136445698c), VD (CEO)
STYRELSE OCH ANDRA ÖVERVAKANDE BEFATTNINGAR Tadjeran, Christian Johann (f. 1960) (http://www.allabolag.se/befattningshavare/Tadjeran%252C_Christian_Johann/ec4fb80dac7d0ebb57eee8136445698c), Ordinarie ledamot (board member)
Evans, Peter (http://www.allabolag.se/befattningshavare/Evans%252C_Peter/8e0a0e4b6195e8ce8ae23915b1273332), Suppleant, Bosatt utomlands inom EES (suppleant)
TILLSYNSBEFATTNINGAR Lindahl, Bo Stefan (f. 1957), Revisor (Auditor/accountant )
Ernst & Young Sweden AB, Revisor (Auditor Company)

The next link are in english!

leisurelad
27th Apr 2009, 21:09
still cant get what you are linking there.

i can get the results but in swedish, was it good or bad ?
the other link for the swedish enforcement still brings up in swedish even when clicking on the tab for english

cheers

eliptic
27th Apr 2009, 21:23
The result are not "good" ,but that can be several reasons for that so it is not enough to say "over all bad"

The guy have several company's and so far they are up to date with filing and no negative remarks. (even the discounted ones)

If you want i can make a call tomorrow and check status on taxes and so on(that use to be first sign),,but so far no " dark clouds"

casadave
28th Apr 2009, 06:38
Viking were indeed at MIR on Sunday operating a B733 charter for Palmair. They (Viking) HAD prepaid for all services required but fell foul of an admin' glitch which hadn't recognised the payment as having been rec'd.

It was unfortunate and caused an uncomfortable delay for the inbound MIR pax and a reactionary delay for the service following but don't judge Viking over this problem - it happens and everyone gets over it.

They're a keen professional bunch of people trying hard to operate a good operation in a ghastly marketplace - please don't knock it till you've tried it !!

eliptic
28th Apr 2009, 07:10
Did the check up on Corporation # 556451-5251 Viking Airlines AB

The company have no registered dept at : Kronofogden (the Enforcement Authority)

BUT! the company had many old registered dept´s(both Tax and private) that going so far that it was on way to distraint , (http://glosor.eu/ordbok/distraint)

What makes me even more concern is that the latest case was this April -09 and only small amount (ridicules some thousand Swedish kronor)

Conclusion:

Becous of the already registered dept´s for distraint´s the company have for shore a bad standing in credit rating.

And someone should be concern and careful :sad:, my personal opinion is that this company are not going to survive in this economical climate without some exceptional fundings.

eliptic
28th Apr 2009, 07:29
They (Viking) HAD prepaid for all services required but fell foul of an admin' glitch which hadn't recognised the payment as having been rec'd.I am quite shore Viking Airlines have to pay up front for everything they are involved in, and probably thats why so many delays a problems.

If buy a ticket from them direct be shore that you have insurances "non operation" or if flying tru a charter company,, check if they are up to date with t "The Travel Guarantees Act"

pjbbmi
28th Apr 2009, 14:39
hey,
how do viking go about recruitning as i cant find details anywhere ? was interested in manchester, heard they were gonna open a base ??
thanks
paul

sirbobalot
28th Apr 2009, 15:49
Manchester is fully recruited for this year, maybe some more positions will come available for next season? We only have 1 aircraft here this summer.

Tillymica
4th May 2009, 13:13
Hi
I have just booked a flight with Viking Airlines to Kefalonia for this August. I'd just like to ask what the only plane flying from Manchester is? (Is it a B737-800)? Thanks

sirbobalot
4th May 2009, 16:49
Yes it's a 737 - 800 operating from manchester

Tillymica
5th May 2009, 09:04
Thanks!
I have read loads of comments (good & bad) about Viking - as a passenger I think 'give them a chance'

hondacars
26th May 2009, 14:13
Hello,

I have booked with Viking, do you know which aircraft is operating from Gatwick this month?

Thanks

plumponpies
26th May 2009, 15:36
Depends where you're going!

hondacars
27th May 2009, 07:08
oh sorry it is Kalamata

Thanks for your help

plumponpies
27th May 2009, 18:19
In that case, more than likely a 738.

DebbieCambs
5th Jun 2009, 18:40
hi, just joined and hoping to be a regular,lol.....going from manchester to sharm in oct with viking and we have booked 3 adults but my daughter has a different surname to me and hubby and without having to pay more for seats together, would we be seated per booking or by surnames, dont mind if its across aisles as long as we are together, thanks in advance

Michael SWS
5th Jun 2009, 20:07
The only way you can guarantee sitting together is to pay for the pre-selected seating or group seating options. (Pre-selected seating is where you choose the actual seats; I think it costs £20 per person. Group seating is where the airline will seat you together but you cannot choose where; that costs a bit less). If you're not prepared to pay the extra then I'm afraid you will have to just take whichever seats you're given at check-in. If a significant number of people have pre-selected seats, or if a lot of people have checked in before you, then you may be spread out over the entire plane.

DebbieCambs
5th Jun 2009, 20:19
ok thanks, its not that im not prepared to pay, just thought if we got there early we would be seated together, but was unsure with my daughter having a different name whether seats are allocated per booking or surname, as i said dont mind if were near each other but didnt want to be at opposite ends, and didnt know you can do group seating so ill look into it, thanks again

fpa2
14th Jun 2009, 12:46
Hello

Does anyone know which seats have more legroom in the Viking Airlines 737-800, is it the seats in the front of the aircraft (e.g. rows 1 or 2), or the seats at the emergency exit (rows 15-16)?

Thanks!

glider12000
14th Jun 2009, 13:59
1 ABC, 2DEF, Rows 15 and 16

fpa2
14th Jun 2009, 17:52
Thanks for that, do you know if the amount of legroom is the same in all of them?

hondacars
16th Jun 2009, 15:11
Hello All,

I have just been on a flight to Kalamata from Gatwick using Viking 30-05-09 ---> 6-06-09 and I must say the Airline is useless, the planes are really old, dirty and falling apart inside.

The seats are really warn and very uncomfortable, on the way out we sat in a seat that had half of the plastic falling off the top of the window and exposing electrical wires, did not look safe to fly.

The staff were helpful enough, but those planes should not be in service.

leisurelad
20th Jun 2009, 09:47
Hondacars:

What makes the airline useless, you say the planes are really old and dirty yet they have some of the most modern and newest aircraft around.
Maybe the cleaners didn't do a great job but it hardly makes the airline useless.

If you were travelling on a 30yr old bomber then yes i would agree that the aircraft is old but either your expectations are far to high for a charter airline or you just like to put the airline down.

You say the plastic was falling off the top of the window and exposing wires. Did you bring this to the attention of the crew !!. Quite simply, modern aircraft interiors are just plastic pannels that slot together and maybe just came loose !!! It's hardly going to make the aircraft fall out of the sky is it.

The train i used the other day was tatty and rattled like hell, but does this make them useless, still did the job.

If you say that the planes should not be in service then boy would you be shocked at what there is in the world, even the UK infact.

Sorry but your post really wound me up and made me realise just how pathetic some people are.

DebbieCambs
21st Jun 2009, 16:46
well said!

frontcheck
21st Jun 2009, 16:55
Surely if the cabin was dirty the Cabin Crew should have picked up on this and had a word with the cleaners, likewise they should have noticed a panel falling off. Attention to detail :=

wouldhave
24th Jun 2009, 08:37
Im flying out on Viking on 3 July to Volos via Skiathos and back on 10 July from Gatwick.

I have to say I have been most impressed by the correspondence I have received so far.

We prebooked our seats (1C and 1D on the outbound and the two seats together on the return by themselves). It appears that the return journey has been amended from a 737-300 to a 737-800 and we received an e-mail asking us that due to an aircraft change could we reselect our seats.

I will post an update when I return on how the flights were - I am flying with a nervous flyer so that should be fun.

Kardamena
13th Jul 2009, 08:47
Hi,
I wondered if anyone knows which seats have the most legroom on a 737-300 flight from LGW to KGS, I think row 14A/B/C is the emergency exit row, would they have extra legroom ? or which others if these are already booked ?

Thanks for your help.

plumponpies
13th Jul 2009, 19:32
Row 1 ABC no forward bulkhead on the 300.

Jedster
19th Aug 2009, 21:51
Have just travelled Viking Airlines for the first time and was extremely pleased...737-800 very comfortable & clean, excellent crew performance and
informative in-flight info etc. I travel by air a great deal and it rated very highly...hope that helps.

Kardamena
20th Aug 2009, 10:22
Same here, first time with Viking on a 737-300 to Kos, and its was a great service and better than First Choice who I travelled with last year, plane was cleaner and there seemed to be more leg room(just about probably an inch or so) only thing is they do not have TV's/Radio so take your own Ipod etc...
Staff were very good, was worried due to reviews I had read but will definately travel with them again.

joniveson
20th Dec 2009, 08:56
Is that worthy of a simley face? Why do some people take such joy at companies going bust or want to see them fail? I hope that Viking prosper.

fpa2
20th Dec 2009, 18:06
As I've taken part in this thread, I should say that I flew with Viking last summer and I found them excellent, probably the best charter flight experience I had so far!

Jack Comrie
20th Dec 2009, 22:03
Bit late but, met a bunch of Viking staff this year. All the stewardesses were a great laugh and the pilots very professional when discussing matters and a great laugh too!

Never flown with them though.

solowhitefemale
26th Jan 2010, 16:23
Can anybody tell me please if Viking's in flight meals are included in the price? I have read you have to buy them on board................
many thanks
Sue

chamby
17th Feb 2010, 12:38
Could someone tell me which aircraft Viking operate out of Manchester and how many are based there?
I'm flying with Viking to Crete in May, and have to say from reading the posts from Viking crew I am not bothered at all by the poor reveiws I have seen. I'm putting them down to the fact that there are some people who find fault too easily.

plumponpies
18th Feb 2010, 00:23
Viking do not include meals in the flight price. Its a buy on board service.
As for MAN summer based a/c. It will be a 737300.

Rusland 17
18th Feb 2010, 05:54
I am not bothered at all by the poor reveiws I have seen. I'm putting them down to the fact that there are some people who find fault too easily.Or perhaps it's that there are still some people for whom simply getting from A to B in one piece with their luggage isn't enough.

aidoair
18th Feb 2010, 13:21
As for MAN summer based a/c. It will be a 737300.

Yep and a 737-800 too so depends on the date you are travelling...

jthaill
11th Mar 2010, 17:03
Hi

Im flying to egypt in may - its a 5 hr flight so will s film or 2 be shown?

Cheers

Allimal
29th Mar 2010, 21:28
I flew to Egypt last year with Viking. They do show a film but pack a headset to listen unless you want to pay £3 for their cheap headphones!!
Otherwise the flight was great and the pilot landed in horrible conditions so that means I give him a massive :ok: plus that he made us all cheer when the last passengers got onboard (20mins late having held us up!) which I thought was good fun.. nothing like shaming the late arrivals :D

martbuck
31st Mar 2010, 17:31
I have just booked a flight to Egypt from East Midlands next Easter for 20 people. The flight is advertised on Travel Republic as departing on Wednesday 6 hours 40 minutes going and 4 hours 15 minutes return. When I look on the Viking website, there is no record of them flying from East Midlands to Egypt. :rolleyes: I booked this asits £120 cheaper than Thomas Cook.
Can anybody tell me if this is a new route for next year, is the journey time correct, and is there entertainment on board ?

leisurelad
1st Apr 2010, 10:03
Hi, if your flight shows as follows then this is correct, dont forget that egypt is 2hrs ahead !!

East Midlands/Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh/East Midlands
Wed 13 Apr 2011
Wed 20 Apr 2011

1315-2055
0900-1215

VIK2231
VIK2232

donna79rob
5th Apr 2010, 09:39
Does anyone know what will be used for the Viking flight to Lanzarote on 8th April from Manchester? My husband is 6'6'' and I'm large (may need a belt extension) and I'm now in a flap after reading reviews about unhelpful staff!! We plan on getting there early for check in so advice about seating would be fantastic!! Also travelling with a 5 year old (for the first time) so was wondering about entertainment

TSR2
6th Apr 2010, 00:09
If your flight number is VIK241, the flight last week was operated by a Viking Hellas Airbus A320.
Can't offer advice on seating but for your 5 year old I would suggest a portable DVD player or a Nintendo DS.

donna79rob
6th Apr 2010, 08:51
That's the one!! Thanks - his unfortunate addiction to the DS will pay off!!:ok:

badger831
7th Apr 2010, 13:39
We're flying with KISS from Manchester to Lanzarote in December 2010. What is the likely aircraft for this route? Is it part of the old XL fleet? Will there be a film onboard? Will it be liveried in KISS or VIKING?

Thanks ahead of your responses

TSR2
7th Apr 2010, 17:05
Kiss Flights is a seat-only Tour Operator NOT an airline. They use Viking, Pegasus, Freebird, Koral Blue and Saga Airlines for their flights.

See my post above for the current aircraft used on the Manchester to Lanzarote route.

zloog
15th Apr 2010, 09:40
Hello all. We are due to fly to Kefalonia in June with Viking and I have a couple of questions:

What aircraft is used for this route? Our flight number is VIK363 & VIK364
We have booked the Gold service, anyone used this yet?

Many thanks

S

Katbeth1
15th Apr 2010, 11:32
You're right, it isnt enough to get from A-B in one piece when you've paid £400 for a flight which is 6 hours delayed on the way out and 2 1/2 hours delayed on the way home. On top of this, we sat on an emergency exit and as we took off, the emergency exit door was making a really loud noise, like wind being sucked out. We brought it to the attention of the stewardess who said oh dont worry, its probably just the seal around the door!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of this, it was well over 2 hours before the cabin crew got round to bringing the drinks trolley out - not good when it was really warm on the plane!! I agreed with previous posts, although the plane looked fairly new, the standards or cleanliness on board were appalling. Again we mentioned this to the crew but there was a bit of a language barrier and nothing was done.

We flew to Sharm from Manchester and whilst on holiday, met a couple that had flown from Gatwick with Viking. They too had been delayed.

I complained to Viking about losing 8 1/2 hours of my time due to their delays and all I got back was a 3 sentence generic response.

I would never, ever fly this airline again. If you havent booked with them yet, I suggest you dont!

lolatstupidpax
15th Apr 2010, 13:03
When you book with a charter airline, you should always be prepared for a delay.

To pay charter and expect a scheduled airline service with a higher number of crew to serve you more quickly, is just a tad stupid.

:rolleyes: You complained to the crew that the aircraft was not as clean as you would have liked......37,000 ft in the air with 200 pax on board, what did you expect as a response? "im so sorry sir, i'll just get the hoover!" :ugh:

lol :E

sam1993
15th Apr 2010, 15:24
zloog, These flights are due to be operated by a Boeing 737-800. :ok:

plumponpies
16th Apr 2010, 15:59
Katbeth 1, delays happen to all airlines.....period. There is an old saying which i suggest you bare in mind for the future. "Time to spare, go by air."

As for your other comments. If you want a 1st class service, you're gonna have to pay more than £400 for a return flight to SSH!!:ok:

kclover
26th Apr 2010, 12:00
I couldn't agree more with what was said above! A delay shouldn't put you off flying with an airline especially if it's cheap! you shouldn't be telling people to avoid them either, there's plenty positive feedback from viking passengers it's just doesn't go noticed because all people will write about is something negative. Go Thomas cook or monarch next time and expect a delay! Some people are so narrow minded it's unreal, it's not the golden age of flying anymore, what do you expect?

Todders
29th Apr 2010, 16:10
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience mostly for the service and cleanliness unfortunately sometimes when you are running behind schedule the cleaning is done as quickly as poss. so as to try and get you on your way as soon as we can. This is not common place but an unfortunate turn of events. Airline's incur delays, that is the nature of the game because we have to operate our aircraft and crews at the absolute max capacity we can if we are to make any money in this business because unfortunately people expect to get there family to ssh on less than it would cost to take a train from man to london.

I copy in a copy of the on time performance data from London's gatwick airport viking airlines main operational base. This should let you compare the operations nicely with the other charter companies highlighted for your convenience. http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5531/picture4bj.png (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/picture4bj.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

stue
29th Apr 2010, 16:16
Spot on! :ok:

plumponpies
30th Apr 2010, 17:43
So thats February's results.... ;)

donna79rob
2nd May 2010, 17:28
Now we have FINALLY returned I thought I'd add my opinion!! I'll say the good first as I believe the onboard staff deserve it - outbound the ground staff were excellent and very accomodating. On both the outbound and inbound flight the on board staff were also ecellent and very helpful when I asked for a seatbelt extension (very discreet and lovely too). Both planes were clean and had no apparent issues.

Unfortunately I have to add that there was bad too. We were due to fly back on the 15th when the whole volcanic ash drama kicked off. In fact we were actually at the airport when many uk flights were cancelled. Whilst ALL the other airlines were very quick to cancel and help there passengers Viking were not. Most passengers around us were quickly dealt with (including Ryanair etc even if they were being told soonest flight would be 1st of May) however we were told numerous times by an incredibly rude man that our flight would be leaving soon (amazing since it was still sat on the runway at manchester) and when they finally admitted we were going nowhere, at about 3pm in the afternoon, we were told as it wasn't Vikings fault to sort ourselves out until further notice. A week, later after being told next to nothing on the website and unable to get through on the phone for 6 days, we arrived for a flight that was already scheduled to run with passengers for both the 15th and the 22nd. Again the same rude man was demanding everyone with tickets for the 22nd had to go to the back of the queue so I'm not sure if everyone actually managed to fly despite us all being told to turn up. And now after paying out nearly £700 extra in accomodation and food, we are trying to claim back the money it seems Viking should have legal paid whilst we were in resort. However the 1 phone conversation i managed to have in the whole time suggested they do not intend to comply with ec reg 261. I have filled in their online complaint form and have been told to expect a reply in 28 days.

Elviramotd
2nd May 2010, 18:43
Donna, how did your husband cope with the leg room? I'm debating whether it's worth paying the extra for my 6ft + husband. Glad to see some positive feedback, as I was beginning to regret booking these flights for this surprise trip! Will have to wait and see and post myself when back.

Also please could someone tell me what type of aircraft will be used on the Glasgow Heraklion flight 13th July?

Todders
3rd May 2010, 01:19
Hi Donna, first of all I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. I am glad however that at least the first section of your post had a bit of positive info. As front line crew it's always nice to here at least that part is working.

As for the rest well, you seem an intelligent person so I'm not even going to bother with the, the ash cloud was an unprecedented event, as I'm sure you are well aware and well versed on the goings on during that period as presumably you like us were glued to the news to glean info. I cannot speak for the handling agent responsible at the airport you were at but again I apologize as these people are contracted in by viking and as such there should be a level of duty of care that they are treating you in the correct manner. With regard to the information, to give you a slight insight into the situation and to that end try and excuse the seaming lack of info at your end. We as crew during that period like crew of all other major airlines in the UK, Flybe, Thomas Cook, Thomson and even BA(i know because i have close friends in all) where without an idea as to when we would be able to operate should it be within the hour or as it seamed at one point not for weeks to come. This was not due to the airlines management or operations teams but more because of the lack of knowledge within NATS and EUROCONTROL. All airlines where conducting periodical phone conferences with both of the above to ascertain what airspace would be available and when. I myself was being called just about every three hours by my poor mother who was stuck in Malaga at the time (flying with Aerlingus) trying to get info from me as the same was happening with her. The fact of the matter is no one had any idea when we would be able to operate and so info was very thin and many airlines had people reporting for multiple flights which got canceled before the end of the troubles.

As for bringing passengers for both flights (15th&22nd) to the airport I can only imagine this caused more distaste again but I only surmise that the company had 1 some under-load ie. space on the plane 2 where using a larger plane or 3 just wasn't sure how many people would be left as some people may have found alternative ways home so although it may cause some annoyance i think you'll agree in the situation it would be better than flying home with spare seats.

I thankfully just have to fly the aircraft and therefore cannot comment on the customer services team and or there response to this period but i am sure they are run off their feet and hopefully working hard for you guys. I do hope that they deal with your issues in a helpful, productive and timely manner.

All this being said I do believe this episode has enabled many airlines to look at there procedures of communication and problem management and i know alot has been learned by the viking team.

foxy_baby
3rd May 2010, 11:32
Elviramotd, it will be a Boeing 737-800

Elviramotd
3rd May 2010, 16:17
foxy, thanks for letting me know.

donna79rob
3rd May 2010, 18:12
Elviramotd - to be honest the leg room wasn't too bad and as far as i'm aware the only extra leg room seats were the type with the table in the arm rest which would mean less bum room! We certainly have had less with other companies.

Todders - I am a great believer in giving praise where it is due and after the flight out was planning on giving Viking a big thumbs up. I understand that no one knew what was going on, especially on the 15th but am more disappointed at the lack of communication in the days after that. It was 6 days before the website stated our flight was going to be on the 22nd. I do still hope that they will step up to the plate and pay us our added expenses but I think that might be wishful thinking.

SLF-Flyer
3rd May 2010, 20:20
Is Viking coverd by the EU delay rules. As the planes are not on the UK register.

Pohutu
4th May 2010, 01:40
Yes, it's determined by the location of the flight not the location of the aircraft's or airline's registration - Art. 3.1(a) and (b) of the Regulations:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/22_04_10_euregulations.pdf

Or for a more user-friendly interpretation specifically looking at the volcano disruption:

http://www.auc.org.uk/docs/306/AUC%20Volcano%20pack.pdf

Pohutu

rachface
5th May 2010, 10:26
Hi I have just been reading through this thread and others about viking airlines and kinda wishing i didnt haha.

Firstly, could somebody find out what plane viking would be using on the 6th september from newcastle to corfu, flight VIK3013.

Me and my friend are due to fly then by viking airlines, and it is her first time flying, and is, naturally, abit nerveous. i have flown many times but always with my parents, never on my own with a friend.
I booked the holiday and then researched the airline and got abit worried..
I then asked my dad, who works in newcastle airport, about viking and he said they have had many problems with viking regarding not flying the luggage with the passengers, he said Newcastle airport had even considered banning Viking airlines from flying to and from there.
He did say that this was a little while ago and that they may of changed because the airport gave them a huge telling off.
We arrive in corfu in the evening, and have a transfer to catch, obviously with a new flyer and me being abroad for my first time with a friend, its pretty worrying to read about all these things that have gone wrong..
has anyone, recently, had any problems with baggage etc?

foxy_baby
6th May 2010, 13:11
Rachface

Its due to be a 737-800 (sunwings) with Gatwick Crew

Inspecthergadget
7th May 2010, 17:31
Reading all the very interesting threads about Viking Airlines i just wish to put the matter straight on a few issues that may be worrying some prospective passengers.

Viking Airlines are in fact a Swedish company and operate with a Swedish Air Operators Certificate.

Passengers flying with this airline have absolutely nothing to worry about re the safety of flying with this company. Started in 2003 and still operating is surely some testament to this.

A note to the last person as to which aircraft will operate a certain route on a certain date, please note that this is just a plan and as we all know in the aviation industry plans change.

Oh and if CT is reading this, any chance of my old job back? You know where to find me.

lotusflow3r
7th May 2010, 18:32
hiya..i am just in need of some reassurance. i am due to fly to sharm from manchester on 25th may..1ad,1ch and 1 infant on lap...i have got myself all worried that in the very unlikely event of needing oxygen masks, that there wont be enough!! does anybody know how many drop down??? will there be one for my infant. i have pre booked my seats 3e/f outbound and 4e/f inbound.
hopefully somebody can put my mind at rest..thanks guys x

TSR2
7th May 2010, 19:20
Worry not. Certain rows on the aircraft have an additional oxygen mask specifically for this purpose. When you check-in you should be allocated one of these rows but ask just to make sure.

Sorry, just noticed you have pre-booked seats. I would suggest you contact Viking on 0871 737 8155 to confirm that rows 2&3 have additional masks.

lotusflow3r
7th May 2010, 19:29
thank you..think i will have to ring viking as i prebooked seats online and obviously only had to put 1 ad and 1ch...there was no option for the infant,so i may have booked seats that dont have the extra mask! thanks for your reply x

foxy_baby
7th May 2010, 20:53
There are 4 masks above every row of 3 seats so there is always a spare!

Chuchinchow
7th May 2010, 23:47
Just what it is about Viking Airlines that has caused so many expressions of doubt and scepticism to be published? Perhaps the old adage "There is no smoke without fire" applies here?

Not even the multiple threads on Irish Harp Airways have generated so much suspicion.

Chuchinchow
8th May 2010, 20:30
You will find that Viking don't stand out beyond any other.

Hardly a glowing recommendation.

In other words, Viking is nothing better than lack-lustre or mediocre.

Todders
8th May 2010, 21:23
A very well informed, mature and constructive message there my friend thank you for your valued input. But then looking back at your message history this does seem to be a theme.

Sir Herbert Gussett
8th May 2010, 21:27
Flew with them to Lanzagrotty in October last year, with a semi-famous Captain on the face of a certain DVD!

No complaints whatsoever. Cabin Crew dealt with nervous passenger amazingly well, regularly checking she was alright. Beats my attitude of chasing the wimps up the bloody stairs...

SHARKSonTOUR
12th May 2010, 05:40
:)hi;i am brand new to this site and am looking for some info on forth comming flight to greece with VIKING . Will be traveling from manchester to heraklion,crete,on july 30th and was wondering which terminal they opperate from and what aircraft is used on this route.

TSR2
12th May 2010, 10:27
Viking use Terminal 2 and the B737-300 on that route.

SHARKSonTOUR
12th May 2010, 16:14
Many thanks TSR2. We have a 2 year old traveling with us whome will have her own seat,but kids being kids she will no dought want to sit on her mums knee.Will this be permited and if so i assume extra seatbelt will be issued.

TSR2
12th May 2010, 22:41
No problem, just ask for a childs lap belt on board. Suggest you take your own entertainment for your 2 year old :ok:. Enjoy your holiday.

jameswild
18th May 2010, 07:40
Hi guys, im new to this forum,

just wondering if someone could shine some light on this subject as to where i stand.

I booked through on the beach about 2weeks ago, but when i was booking online i entered the wrong date by accident, i put the 15th june instead of the 8th, i submited a change of date form on the internet as requested by OTB and they've come back to me sayin that they cannot changes the dates because the airline wont allow it?

To be honest i think this is all a load of bull...i spoke with viking airlines direct and they informed me they dont get the flight manifest until 48hrs before departure.

Could someone please suggest something on how i can go about changing this and where i stand.

Would be much appreciated :ok:

oliversarmy
20th May 2010, 13:53
jameswild,

Viking flights are all charters (unless its Viking Hellas flight with a VQ prefix), charter flights are operated by the airline but your booking is with a tour operator and they are the ones that would have a policy regarding amending your booking, I think you need to keep onto them to see if they can/will move you.

Hope this helps.

OA

jameswild
20th May 2010, 14:33
thank you very much, i am keeping on at them, they wont give me a definitive answer to why they wont change, so i think there just being funny with me.

Many thanks

leisurelad
22nd May 2010, 10:33
On your booking, if your tour operator is Kiss Flights then as long as the flight is available i can't see why they wont change it, obviously any difference in fare would need to paid plus any admin fees.

Kiss are probably one of the most flexible tour operators i have ever worked with, the guys are great in the office and will do what they can.

I would say though, if you have used On the beach as your agent, you only have to do a google search to find the pages and pages of bad reports and will more than likely charge you way over the odds for making a change, they are the travel agents version of "the krays" LOL. you want something, were gonna charge a fortunate to do it, they won't give a monkeys.

Keep on at them though, they will drag their heels.

Chuchinchow
23rd May 2010, 14:01
If all else fails, and on the assumption that you live in England or Wales:

1. Trading Standards Institute - Home page (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/)

2. Making a Claim (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm)

Good luck!

jameswild
24th May 2010, 08:40
:ok: thank you very much,

angeflange
26th May 2010, 08:20
Hi I was wondering in anyone can help. I have booked flights to Sharm through OTB who are using Kiss Flights as the operator. The flight numbers quoted are VIK263 leaving MAN on 6th November and returning VIK244 on 25th November. I have been on Vikings website and they do not list these flights in the schedule. Can anyone tell me if these flights are real and if so which type of plane do they usually use???

leisurelad
26th May 2010, 09:25
I can only find these flights for the days that you have listed there

Manchester/Sharm El Sheikh
Sat 06 Nov 2010
Thu 25 Nov 2010

1000-1730
0900-1255

VIK263
VKH2242

Sharm El Sheikh/Manchester

Will probably be on the 737-800 or as the flight number on the inbound is VKH, it may even be an A320

LCA Bound
26th May 2010, 09:41
Myself and my girlfriend flew with Viking to fuertaventura last september.
so just a quick review

On time
Reasonably comfortable (as charter legroom goes)
Clean , modern aircraft
friendly staff ( Canadian I think )
Reasonable meal and bar service

Over all for what the flights cost I was very pleased with Viking and would definately use them again

chamby
7th Jun 2010, 14:56
Recently flew out to Crete with Viking. Flights were on time, reasonably comfortable (bearing in mind i'm 6 foot 3" so tend not to expect much leg room any way) with friendly staff. Only complaint would be that the catering trolley took an age to get down the isle on the way back and most items were out of stock, but I beleive this was due to a problem with the Greek caterering company at Heraklion.
If you're expecting more than getting to your destination on time with your baggage intact then don't fly budget.

Ellie Vator
7th Jun 2010, 16:57
Plumonpies - Nice to hear you present a balanced view on some of the negative comments presented here.
You are absolutely correct that most people that have an uneventful experience rarely write about it, whereas those with a grievance shout the loudest.
The only way to get a balanced view is to also view comments on other airlines.

Sadly Churchinchow chose to grasp the negative in saying Viking is nothing better than lack-lustre or mediocre", whereas you quite rightly state that with complaints "Viking don't stand out beyond any other". Take a look at the complaints record for Ryanair and Easyjet!!

No one need have any concern over the quality of crews. Viking has one of the highest flying hours experience requirement for employing Captains. Immensely higher than for example, Ryanair. and in the current market they are able to hand pick high levels of experience.
The airline is Swedish registered and subject to Eu-Ops standards, the same as all other Eu registered airlines.

lotusflow3r
8th Jun 2010, 13:50
hi, just flown with Viking Airlines to Sharm and no problems whatsoever. Good choice of hot and cold snacks,drinks etc. Helpful, friendly, efficient crew, was travelling as lone parent with 7 yr old and a baby and crew really helpful. No delays. Would recommend and would definately use again :) xx

zloog
14th Jun 2010, 12:06
We got back from a week in Kefallonia and I have to admit that after reading loads of bads reviews, we were nicely suprised! We paid for the Gold service so got priority boarding, lounge access, priority check in, more leg room and a decent meal. We took off 10 mins late which is fine and returned on time. The 737 was a little tatty but the crew were great and the flight was very comfortable. :ok:

Chuchinchow
14th Jun 2010, 15:02
Customer comments on Viking Airlines on this thread have includedViking is nothing better than lack-lustre or mediocre" and even "Viking don't stand out beyond any other".

These middle-of-the-road, run of the mill, pedestrian passenger service "standards" are all too common these days among charter airlines.

The owners and managers of these carriers are aware that they will probably only carry a particular passenger once, because he/she will see those airlines for what they are. That being the case, they offer the absolute minimum customer service required to stay in business; the pages of anxious queries about scheduling and booking problems are evidence of this.

What happened to standards of excellence, and companies vying for return business? Why can Viking Airlines not be just that little bit better than its competitors? After all, bouquets are much better to receive than brickbats.

In fairness though, Viking Airlines are probably no better nor worse than any other charter cheapie carrier - more's the pity.

danielmellor
14th Jun 2010, 15:56
Hello There
Im Flying On 29th of June to Crete (Heraklion) from Belfast

Can anyone tell me...
1. what type of plane will operate the flight
2. will the plane have IFE

Todders
14th Jun 2010, 16:40
Very interesting didn't know we were doing rotations out of belfast. Who did you book through out of interest. Being from that part of the world would have liked to get myself on that flight. What time is it due to go?

foxy_baby
14th Jun 2010, 22:15
A320 i think, no ife but psp's are available for hire!

danielmellor
15th Jun 2010, 11:32
I Booked My Flights Through Goldtrail

and Details as Follows

Belfast - Heraklion - 16:50-22:50 - 29th June
Heraklion - Belfast - 13:50-15:50 - 6th July

GambiaGal
15th Jun 2010, 14:46
I'm flying from Gatwick to The Gambia on 23rd July on VIK151 returning on 6th August on VIK152. Can anyone out there help with the following:

What aircraft will it be?
Will there be any IFE?
What sort of food can we expect as it's a 6 hour flight?Thanks very much

Todders
16th Jun 2010, 12:07
Aircraft will be a 737-800.

IFE will be on board and a second option is available to hire a psp from the cabin crew for the duration of the flight giving you access to around 6 more movies.

Food is included and is standard aircraft food with a bar service.

GambiaGal
16th Jun 2010, 13:34
Todders,

Thank you very much for such a prompt reply. I was getting a bit worried about the airline as I made the mistake of looking at some people's reviews online. You've put my mind at rest.

Regards and thanks again

danielmellor
16th Jun 2010, 20:03
Foxy_Boy

Belfast - Heraklion On an a320 are You sure?
arent they with Hellas?

anyone else wanna tell me

29th June - Belfast - Heraklion - wat aircraft Time and any Ife?

Todders
16th Jun 2010, 21:00
Deffo looks that way. That's why I wasn't aware of it.

BFS-HER on the A320 operated by our subsidiary Viking Hellas. They don't have IFE on board the A/c but PSPs are available to hire for the duration giving access to around six movies.

The aircraft is due to position in to BFS from MAN.

Hope you enjoy your flight and hol.

sam1993
17th Jun 2010, 15:14
This flight is indeed due to be operated by an Airbus A320 on the 29th June :ok:

danielmellor
17th Jun 2010, 23:55
Thank You :)

will my flight home On the 6th also be operated by the a320?

Ellie Vator
18th Jun 2010, 09:42
Churchinchow in response to your last comment, please don't be so negative all the time.
The answer to your questions "What happened to standards of excellence, and companies vying for return business? Why can Viking Airlines not be just that little bit better than its competitors?" are very simple.

In the aviation business at the moment it is the most 'Cut throat' it has ever been. The answer to the questions posed is quite simple "LOW COST AIRLINES (in the UK) SUCH AS RYANIR AND EASYJET".

All the conventional charter airlines, Viking included, are trying to offer a 'Service', however (within the UK operation) the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet are moving in with seemingly cut price tickets. Everything in terms of service has a cost value. To provide the sort of service you (and I would like) comes at a price. If the conventional charter airlines provided this sort of service across the board they would not have passengers and would go out of business so quickly. So they have to play a very delicate balancing act. Certain routes have an upgrade available. I used Thomson last year and paid for the upgrade for my family - Totally brilliant service. It is there but you will have to pay that bit extra.

The cause is unfortunately the passenger who is quite happy to degrade themself into a "Cattle Class" carry on their own small luggage into the cabin beacuse they don't want to pay high rates for hold baggage, find that the overhead bins are full, so force their bags under the seats and spend the whole flight with their feet elevated above their bags. The seats being thinner, don't recline, and no pockets just to make you more miserable. BECAUSE people do this in the name of getting somewhere really cheaply it will continue.
The flight is the start of the holiday - My question is, Do you really want to start your holiday in conditions like this? Churchinchow you asked about service from Viking, but the answer lies in people who will settle for these unbelievable disgraceful conditions.
I know, as I worked for a certain Irish scum carrier, but got out partly as I am really concerned about safety (one day we will read a headline.............).

While it is very important to vent one's feelings, I ask to temper them with a degree of consideration.
If Viking could sell a real premium service as standard to entice return custom they would, as would other charter airlines, but margins are so low, and pinnned by the tour operator, if they don't do what they are doing at present they won't be there. I have also experienced that, and it is not pleasant!

The old addage "How do you do you make a Million running an airline - Start with Five" runs so true. I don't know how anyone does it.

Maybe 'Cut a bit of slack' but do always bring to attention any failings. Constructive criticism is the most helpful and if directed properly companies will alter then we all gain. Whilst cattle continue to scurry on board the Ryanair cattle trucks it puts any form of service quality in jeopardy. Watch out for more Ryanair expansion into Europe to be announced shortly. God help us all !!

ysly
22nd Jun 2010, 13:02
Hi. we fly with Viking on 10.8 returning 24.8 from Man. How would I find out which plane they'll use. We've booked leg room and want to know if IFE will be available & If I can order champagne. :ok: thanks

Chuchinchow
22nd Jun 2010, 15:16
At the risk of being described as "negative", surely Viking has got a sales and customer relations infrastructure? Has it not got its own website where these frequently asked questions may be resolved?

Todders
22nd Jun 2010, 22:33
Of course it does but what's the harm in being helpful???

Flight is due to be on a 737-800. A Canadian one in fact at the min., a lease in from Sunwings. But obviously these things a subject to change.

IFE therefore should be available and Champers is carried on all viking flights and can be ordered onboard. Enjoy!

ysly
23rd Jun 2010, 09:39
Cheers for the positive feedback mate! Help is always appreciated. :ok:

Sligo Mick
26th Jun 2010, 13:48
Have booked to Fly out with Viking on 2nd July from Glasgow to Tenerife Flight no VIK8037. I gather i should have nothing to worry about and plane will be there?

Todders
28th Jun 2010, 12:43
Lol, interesting way to put it but to put you as ease there's no reason why not.
Enjoy :D

Sir Herbert Gussett
28th Jun 2010, 12:48
Have booked to Fly out with Viking on 2nd July from Glasgow to Tenerife Flight no VIK8037. I gather i should have nothing to worry about and plane will be there?

How on earth do people like you survive day-to-day?!?!!!

What an absurd question.

danielmellor
28th Jun 2010, 14:14
Flyingg tomorrow at 18:25 Belfast - Crete (Heraklion)

Been Told Its an a320?

They dont have any a320s in The Viking fleet

do they? :8

Sligo Mick
28th Jun 2010, 14:20
Thanks Todders for your reply:ok:
The reason behind the question, is that after the Fly Globespan debacle i am a bit concerned about using "Budget Airlines" that have recently appeared on the scene.

Sligo Mick
28th Jun 2010, 14:24
Sir Gusset:ooh:

Can i refer you to my reply to Mr Todders:)

scuba lady
28th Jun 2010, 19:28
Hello,
I have booked a flight to Hurghada on Sept 10th and would like extra legroom. Can anyone explain why if you book flight online the extra legroom is £15 each way and if you book flight through blue O2 and then add extras online it is £30 each way?
Which seats are best for extra legroom and are not restricted by bulk head?

Does anyone know if there is IFE and what an average meal/soft drink costs on board?

I was wondering if the gold service is worth the extra money or if you get the same seat buying extra leg room and buy a meal on board.
Thank you

Ben178v
28th Jun 2010, 20:32
Maybe this one

http://www.airpics.gr/UserFiles/pics/medium/11550/11510m.jpg

mariakirk
5th Jul 2010, 09:56
I am travelling in August with Viking airlines. In our party their will be 4 passengers (2 adults and 2 children) The problem is that I haven't pre-booked seats together. I am now losing sleep with worry!!! Will we have seats together as we have two children? I can't possibly have them sitting on their own or next to strangers. My husband is a nervous flyer so although he will not be sitting next to the children (in case they feed off of his nerves!) I would like him withing easy distance so that I can keep an eye on him. He suffers panic attacks and was also wondering if their is anything that I can get for this? also how are the crew with helping nervous, panicky flyers?

Please help, my main concern is the seating! Surely they wont sit children with strangers... I just don't know what to do!

:bored:

mariakirk
5th Jul 2010, 10:17
Please help!

In August I am flying with Viking Airlines, I have 2 children and a very nervous husband!!! The problem is that I have forgotten to book seats together.

My question is:

As I have two kids (aged 10 and 5) will they sit me with the children? I am really concerned that we may be spitt up and the children may be sitting with strangers. I can't bear the though of this. It is their first time flying and I don't know how they are going to react. :bored:

My other question:

My husband is very nervous and suffers dizzy spells due to panic attacks, how likely is it that he will get a seat in the same row as us? Is their anything that he can take for the panic attacks?

I would really appreciate your advice on this!! :O

Britannia
5th Jul 2010, 10:35
Have you tried https://www.flyviking.com/reservations/index.cfm?fuseaction=fltRes.selectOperator&isNew=1

£10 to select a seat

HXdave
5th Jul 2010, 12:04
with regards to panic attacks, my wife suffered them a while ago (not because of flying, different reasons, stress etc). having been to see the doc, she was prescribed Propanolol (or something like that), and she takes them if she feels the indications of a panic attack coming on. luckily she has hardly ever had to use them since, however they are there if needed.

so it might be best going to your local GP, explain the circumstances and see if he will prescribe something. if not, try speaking with your local pharmacy, see if they can reccomend something that you can get on non-prescription.

Regards

HXDave

Lafyar Cokov
5th Jul 2010, 13:04
If you do have a problem finding seats together - a quiet word with the cabin crew on board may well be able to sort this out. While they cannot guarantee to be able to help - they may well try to sort it on board. Obviously if you can arrange seats together now (and you've left plenty of time so it shouldn't be a problem) then that is better - but if you haven't managed to sort it by the day, the cabin crew will normally do all within their powers to help you out!

malagamike
5th Jul 2010, 13:19
i would strongly suggest calling the airline and prebooking your seats together. if its your first flight with the children and a nervous husband you would be shooting yourselves in the foot not doing this.
remember most airlines now, dont guarantee seats together - thats why you can prebook/prepay in advance.
doing this will solve your problem.
hope this helps

Fr8t M8te
5th Jul 2010, 13:24
DO contact the airline explaining all the circumstances and I am sure they will be able to help.

LadyR
5th Jul 2010, 13:47
We have ended up booked on a viking flight from manchester to paphos on 1st august and after reading reviews all over the place...99% of which are negative am now seriously considering loosing the 75% of the fare and booking with someone else.
they did appear to get their act together in May-however this seems to of been short lived!!!
On skytrax reviews the comments are truely hiddeous!!
extreme delays
no communication
dirty planes
poor service and staff

I think they may be spreading temselves a bit thin and this can only get worse whn they start operating this route later in July......

Really am panicing ....hubby is bad flyer as it is.....so god help me!!!

Anyone any positive comments that are RECENT!!!!

TSR2
5th Jul 2010, 14:00
Do not worry they will not seat your children apart from you as it is against CAA recommendations. In the extremely unlikely event that they do, just refuse to take your seat and ask the cabin crew who is taking responsibility for them during the flight. That should get some action.

Personally I would pre-book the specific seats of your choice.

BlueTui
5th Jul 2010, 14:15
But what they can do is put one parent with each child or one parent with two children and the other adult in a seperate seat. They don't have to seat a whole family together. If this is important to you, I suggest you use select your seat, as others have said.

flyguy901
5th Jul 2010, 14:47
I personally wouldn't go down the route of refusing to take your seat as at the end of the day with the amount of people pre-booking there seats now a days there some times isnt really a lot cabin crew can do as many people simply say no i paid to select this seat and am not moving which they are quite right to say, yes if your children where sat on their own the crew would make sure they are with at least one adult but then the other child may be with the other adult but may not be all together. so the safest option is to pre-book your seats and then you can choose where to sit on the plane and not have the worry in the run up to your holiday.

TSR2
5th Jul 2010, 16:28
Saw the same problem last September. Family with two young children allocated seats on four different rows. Passengers only too willing to move seats to accommodate whilst crew looked on bemused.

Ifield Lad
5th Jul 2010, 18:33
My in-laws have just returned from their annual summer break. On the return flight they found that ther pre-boooked seats were in fact allocated across the aisle from each other. Although apparantly this is seen as being "together", they were not happy about it. CC very kindly re-seated them where space was available which happened to be by the overwing emergency exit. 2nd CC came along and asked them to pay more money as extra leg room seats cost more!!

N707ZS
5th Jul 2010, 19:55
If your husband has panic attacks I would get him to his GP who should be able to give him something to sort him out.

davecfm56
5th Jul 2010, 20:52
It takes a lot for me to actually post on here and I try only to post positive and constructive comments.

I've typed out and deleted several responses to LadyR and all I'll post is this;

If I worked for Viking, I'd find what you've posted very hurtful, it seems like you've formed your opinion on, what I bet is, what less then 0.0001% of the people carried by Viking (typically in 12 months) have said.

During a recent illness I looked up the symptoms on the internet and to my horror figured out they matched malaria. After going to the doctor I found it it was flu.

Just because a handful of people post bad things on the internet doesn't make it the rule.

Lafyar Cokov
5th Jul 2010, 21:17
Just to back up what Dave said - how many people have a fairly good, or acceptable trip (or even a really great experience) and the first thing they do is to go on a website and tell everyone about it? Very few - the only people who feel the urge to go online and type away generally (rightly or wrongly) feel they have a grievance which they wish to get off their chest or want some compensation for.

Whilst booking anything in advance is fraught with questions and worries - the fact that some people have reported an inferior service shouldn't be the only thing you base your opinion upon. Check out the reports for other airlines and I'm sure you will find similar complaints.

As someone who works in the airline industry I am often surprised at people who complain about the service - everyone seems to want a 'British Airways' (and I mean how it used to be!!) first class service for a Ryanair (without all the added on extra charges) price.

mariakirk
6th Jul 2010, 08:33
Thanks for all the advice, I will try to pre-book seats but it costs a lot more! However, my children are more important that money!!!

Airbus321-200
6th Jul 2010, 08:36
Well i wouldn't do what TSR2 originally said and refuse to take your seats as this will just get you off on the wrong note with the cabin crew. As an sccm myself i always make sure families sit together even the ones who are the last to check-in. It is a CAA recommendation but as we all know recommendations dont mean much.

If you dont want to pay £10 each then just turn up 3/4hrs before and be the first to check in. Keeping kids entertained in the airport for that long is hard so i'd pay the money! have a good holiday!

mariakirk
6th Jul 2010, 08:45
Thanks Airbus. I will find the money from somewhere. Being a sccm you must see a lot of nervous passengers. How are the crew with nervous passengers? and have you ever had anyone with a panic attack? Just wondering how I can help my husband with this! I want to eliviate the panic as much as possible. I have heard that Bach Rescue Remedy is very good, but he seems convinced that he is going to be sick, dizzy and unwell which is a massive shame as he has been looking forward to this holiday.

N707ZS
6th Jul 2010, 10:51
Hi, as a panic attack sufferer I would deffinately send your husband to his GP. 5 or 10mg of medication will make your husbands trip far more bareable.

LadyR
6th Jul 2010, 11:03
I am well aware of people only writing bad things on reveiw sites, but out of 298 reviews only to have 4 positive is not great.
No intention was to hurt anyone's feelings, however i am not sure that airlines feel the same way about their passengers.....
I do feel that dave has over reacted somewhat....no hurtful comments were made only examples of comments from OTHERS on review sites....
I asked for comments to get positive experiences to put my mind at rest and guidance.....no other reason.

I quote from my original post..."Anyone any positive comments that are RECENT!!!! "

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick Dave..

HXdave
6th Jul 2010, 12:20
Mariakirk, see my post early on in this thread. i'm sure your GP could prescribe something for your husband. if not, speak with a local friendly pharmacist who might be able to reccomend an over the counter remady.

as a final resort, make sure he has nothing to drink in the airport (you might think alcohol will help him relax, however this will only excassibate the problem, and make it worse). breathing into a paper bag can also help calm people down when having a panic attack, so it might be a good idea to take one with you. you could also take something along that will help take his mind of the fact he is flying (like a portable music player, a good book, some toys / games he can play with the kids).

have a good flight, and tell him not to worry...........

LGWAlan
6th Jul 2010, 13:23
Also - talk to your tour operator (if you can get a hold of anyone) and get them to make a note of it on the manifest that they send to the airline. The guys/gals at Viking preflight are also very good - ensure you have your tour operator booking reference and full flight details - and give them a call directly - phone number on their website!

nonemmet
6th Jul 2010, 20:33
The Viking aircraft I have seen are not Uk registered, so not sure if they fall under CAA regulations, but with reference to the above comments concerning CAA recommended parcatice - it is a little more than that. You can imagine the conversation in the post accident investigation...

CAP 789 Requirements and guidance material for operators

7 Seat Allocation for Family Groups

7.1 The separation of family groups, especially children, may lead to problems in emergency situations. During emergency evacuations, group members separated from other members of the family or party might seek each other out during the evacuation process. Such actions could have an adverse effect on passenger flow rates towards emergency exits and might seriously affect the outcome of an evacuation. Additionally, infants and young children would need assistance from adults in the donning of oxygen masks during decompression.

7.2 Operators' procedures in respect of seat reservations, seat allocation, check-in procedures and cabin crew duties should take into account the following factors:
a) Children accompanied by adults should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. In wide-bodied aircraft, children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle.
b) Where the above is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults.
c) Seat allocation procedures for family groups, including adults, should reflect the above.
d) When large parties of children are carried, operators should take into account the principles of the above criteria and apply suitable seating arrangements.
e) Whenever small numbers of infants and children are travelling together, the operator should make every effort to ensure that they are allocated seats where they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adult in both normal and abnormal conditions.

I would certainly not waste my money buying allocated seats in order to be sure of sitting with my children. Unfortunately many UK airlines misslead passengers into paying for something to which they are entitled. (IMV!) :=

Airbus321-200
6th Jul 2010, 20:41
Well as a sccm i dont see too many nervous passengers these days. I think this is mainly because people dont tell me they're nervous. I've had to ask people if they are ok because they look very nervous. I personally think knowledge of the situation is key. I always try to find out what part of flying a person doesn't like. Is it because its a closed space? no control? height? Virgin atlantic do a one day fear of flying course which ends with an actual 30 mins flight. Whenever i have nervous passengers i request they be preboarded because once they see myself and my crew and the flightdeck crew and realise that we are well trained professionals and are here to help it relaxs them and i generally have a bit of banter and chat about their holiday and their plans and i just get the crew to keep an eye on them and not to make a big deal of the situation in front of the other passengers.
Ask to be pre-boarded if you'd like to speak to the crew or need extra time. Viking work with sunwing airlines of canada so you might have mix of uk/canadian crew and they are a great bunch generally.
Just plan ahead. Get to the airport early and get seats together. Explain that your husband is nervous and deal with one step at a time and you'll be on holiday in no time.

Airbus321-200
6th Jul 2010, 20:52
@nonemmet

I totally agree with making sure families sitting together lets make that clear. But if a family are one of the last to check in and you have 50 other familes onboard it can become very interesting on boarding. So my point is the CAA only give guideance on the situation like using words such as " should ideally" and "should take into account". Personally i would not seat children away from their family unless over 12 and only if it was the next row. As you mentioned the viking aircraft are actually C-reg and are operated by sunwing airlines of Canada. So the viking flights would be ruled by sunwings SOP's and SEP's ( i've worked for sunwing previously). I found some of the candian rules quite relaxed like - infant lap belts for under 2yrs were optional! (well not on my flights).

So i will always advise families to check in early and get seats together to save problems onboard.

HXdave
7th Jul 2010, 08:40
LadyR,

why not take the fact that possibly thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Viking passengers have NOT COMPLAINED, therefore massively outweighing the negative comments.

On the other hand, why not book with an alternative airline, one that has got glowing views, like BA or Cyprus airways, who both fly to Cyprus. If you are happy to lose 75% of your fare, fair enough. i guess if you can afford to lose 75% of your fare then you will also be able to afford the full fares from the full service airlines.

AlpineSkier
7th Jul 2010, 15:18
@mariakirk

Please help, my main concern is the seating! Surely they wont sit children with strangers.

Not sure here ( although I have a suspicion) if your worry is that your children will be molested or that they will ruin the flight for other pasengers with their behaviour.

Just have to ask, do you spend your whole life in a pattern of eternal dread and foreboding ?

Edit: Having re-read your post, I see where your worries are. Guess you'll have to balance your "anguish" against cancelling the flights (money )and re-booking with a seat-bookable airline/( anxiety-cushion)

Just how the hell did mankind survive this long ? Astonishing.

davecfm56
7th Jul 2010, 16:37
"am now seriously considering loosing the 75% of the fare and booking with someone else"

LadyR; I was very angry with your post, I think you should expect people to be on here as it is mainly a site for people within the aviation industry to share information.

Every airline has problems that crop up and its unfortunate when they affect its passengers.

Recently, on my airline, after landing I decided to stand in the flight deck doorway and say good bye to the passengers as they disembarked. ALL but one passenger thanked the crew for a very pleasant flight. The one who didn't made some passing comment I couldn't quite hear, the crew said she had done nothing but moan the whole flight and that she wanted a complaints form. I wouldn't be surprised if she writes a nasty review on skytrax.

I freely admit things can go wrong that affect the whole plane load of passengers, technical problems etc. but sometimes most complaints are for such small insignificant things and come from people who seem like they've nothing better to do. The internet gives these people a voice and you only hear one side of things.

...Having chilled out a bit. LadyR, I'm sorry, I know you're only trying to put your mind a rest but posting on here is almost like poking you're head into the airlines crew room and saying 'I hear your airline is a bit rubbish'. I know you don't mean that but that's what its like.

If you're affected by any delays or other problems you'll be very unlucky.

foxy_baby
9th Jul 2010, 09:59
None of the aircraft are on the english register, there either the sunwings aircraft which are on the Canadian register, or Vikings planes which are on the Sweedish register so follow there own aviation laws.

Which base are you flying out of?

I strongly suggest you either book the seats if it means that much to you, or turn up at the airport early and be the first at check in! Refusing to take your seats or asking the crew to swap people around can cause a lot of discomfort and friction in the cabin, and on top of that there isnt a huge amount of time allocated to boarding and it could end up delaying the flight!

As for nerves, Doctors now can give tablets to help settle nerves, but It doesnt hurt to let your crew know, they can keep an eye on him and make him feel more relaxed and reassured!:)

TSR2
9th Jul 2010, 10:34
I strongly suggest you either book the seats if it means that much to you, or turn up at the airport early and be the first at check in! Refusing to take your seats or asking the crew to swap people around can cause a lot of discomfort and friction in the cabin, and on top of that there isnt a huge amount of time allocated to boarding and it could end up delaying the flight

I sincerely hope you are not cabin crew.

leisurelad
9th Jul 2010, 11:04
Whilst worded quite strongly, foxy baby has a point.

The option is there right now to pre book seats together which will stop any worry and reassure the customer that they will be seated together.

Having worked as both crew and also as a duty manager on the ground, these situations should really be dealt with before they step on board. Starting boarding around 30-40mins before doesn't always give you much time to ensure everyone is seated, happy and to also do your own bits and bobs too.

The option is there to them and a simple call to their pre-flight dept may put their mind at rest.
I know a few people that work for them on the ground at gatwick and are probably one the nicest bunch you could ever meet.

I have experienced working with Canadian crew and aircraft before and have also worked for a swedish company, they are no different to any other company and to be honest, the size they are at the moment, they are actually good to deal with and quite accommodating.

Give them a call or pre book your seats, will save you alot of hassle and worry.

LadyR
9th Jul 2010, 14:10
Thanks Dave for your apology...

Had I had the information about "crew room" before posting i would of perhaps worded differently.

Having typed in Viking airlines revies into the search engine....this site is one of the first 5 to appear.....I do have to admit that I thought it was all a bit technical.

No offence was meant to any crew or staff etc, i assure you all i was just looking for guidance and assurance and did strees i only wanted to hear positive comments..

TSR2
9th Jul 2010, 18:43
Whilst worded quite strongly, foxy baby has a point

Fully agree that Foxy Baby has a point regarding pre-booking seats.

However, if you look back through this thread it would appear that mariakirk may be on a tight budget and that the additional costs of 4x the pre-booking seat fee may be expense that she could well do without. This additional expense is totally unnecessay as children should under no circumstances be seperated from one of their parents for safety reasons IMHO.

Given your background, it goes without saying that you will agree that safety on board is paramount and should take priority over delayed departure or inconvenience to any of the passengers. If a child was seated next to me and away from a parent, I personally would automatically offer to exchange my seat (even if paid for) with the parent as I believe the parent is best placed to assume responsibility for the child in an emergency situation.

Unfortunately from certain comments on this thread it would appear that commercial pressures on cabin crew take priority over this particular safety issue.

leisurelad
10th Jul 2010, 10:25
TSR2:

I understand what you are saying, truly i do but unfortunately alot of people are not as accommodating as you appear to be.
Some flights, especially ones where there is generally alot of children can sometimes be impossible to move unless bribed and will also depend on what kind of pax you have on board.
Don't want to tarnish people with the same stick but there were occasions where i would have to physically tell people that they have to move in order to accomodate, almost upsetting one lot of pax to please another.

It's not the nicest position to be in so personally, and i know you don't really want to, either pre book or turn up mega mega early. The only way that you can really be sure. Turning up 2hrs before may be a little too late and depends on how many are already check in.

If your tour operator is Kiss Flights who are the main booking agent for Viking then you can pre book seats at £10pp return. One of the cheapest out there compared to other carriers.

Thanks

ravydavy
10th Jul 2010, 10:56
PLEASE HELP!!!

Booked on the following Viking flights from Glasgow to Corfu:

OUT VIK8067 MON 26/7 DEP 0450 ARR 1025
IN VIK8086 TUE 3/8 DEP 2215 ARR 0220

These were booked through OnTheBeach.co.uk/Goldtrail.

I've got no problems with the outbound flight but inbound is worrying me;

1) why is the flight time 6 hours (taking into consideration time difference?)
2) why can I find no record of this flight on Viking's official website? I can see the same flight on the day before but it arrives @ 0015!!!!

Tried to phone the airline but just sit on hold, please can someone advise if this flight actually exists? :ugh:

jubilee
10th Jul 2010, 12:50
Could be a shared flight with another airport.
Why not phone On the Beach.Instead of the airline.
Its down as a charter flight,so may not appear on Vikings timetable.
Jubilee

Ben178v
11th Jul 2010, 15:54
Looks like your departure is in UK time and arrival in Greek time for the outbound.
Departure and Arrival in Greek time for the inbound which would be 0020 UK(BST).

DONNESH
12th Jul 2010, 08:34
Hi There i am also booked on this flight through - Low cost sunshine / Kiss Flights... And my flight details the flight landing at 00.20. so i think this is probably something to do with time difference.

I have been keeping an eye on this flight taking of from glasgow and this mornings flight has been delayed by about 4.5 hours, Hope the flight on the 26th is not delayed for that long..
:eek:

oliversarmy
16th Jul 2010, 10:55
ravydavy

I am not sure where you are looking on Viking's website but if you click on timetable at the top of the sites home page the flight is there showing the scheduled departure and arrival times,

OA

TFlyguy
17th Jul 2010, 06:23
Sadly it seems that if you booked with Goldtrail you wont be going anywhere

Rusland 17
17th Jul 2010, 21:29
Sadly it seems that if you booked with Goldtrail you wont be going anywhere.
But, looking on the bright side, you probably had a lucky escape.

BBC - Watchdog: Goldtrail Holidays (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/03/goldtrail_holidays.html)

tootsie1
18th Jul 2010, 19:12
We recently travelled with Viking airlines from Manchester to Sharm el Sheikh. We had never heard of them and preumed they were just a low cost airline. I have to say we were less than impressed with them our return flight was delayed7 hours and the service was terrible.
When we arrived at the airport to return home to Manchester we saw our flight was delayed on the screens. There was very little information given to us, no rep or explanation of why there was a delay. There was also a Viking flight to Gatwick which was delayed. We were told to wait in the reception area and were not able to check our cases in for 3 hours due to the delay. This was frustrating as there were two flight loads of people waiting already and more arriving with not enough space for everyone. Nobody explained why there was a delay and at 11.00pm when our flight was due to leave it became clear that it was not our flight which was delayed but Gatwicks flight as there was a problem with the plane and it had not yet left Gatwick.

The most infuriating aspect of this ordeal was when we were told that Viking were changing the flights allowing the passengers going to Gatwick to take our plane which left us delayed for 7 hours and waiting for the next plane for 9 hours!. I thought this was completely out of order and disgusting that as a company Viking decided to swap flights messing about with peoples plans, purely to suit there own company needs. We were told by a member of airport staff that the company is based at Gatwick and it is harder to obtain airspace so this was the reason for the changes made. This is unacceptable and does not represent an airline that puts it's customers first. When we did finally board our flight we were unhappy with the lack of apologies from the staff and pilot for the extreme unnecessary delays. There was no complimetary drink or apologies! The pilot tried to insult the passengers by blaming the problems on 'bad weather conditions' i mean really it was 28c in England we may have been abroad we were not on the moon! This just added insult to injury and his attempt to cover up a technical problem with the plane only made people more angry. During the flight we reported to a member of staff that we were cold twice. The member of staff stated that she had informed the pilot who controls the air conditioning. The temperature remained the same throughout the flight. The staff came round with blankets charging £6.50 but these had run out by the time they got half way up the plane. When we finally arrived at Manchester we were delayed a further 30 minutes due to a problem with the steps? i mean come on how many planes land everyday and they cant attach the steps to a plane? We had family members waiting for us who had not been informed of the flight changes online only by our communication. The car parking costs were £7.50, but this was not the problem what was so herrendous was the sheer lack of consideration to the passengers and commincation to keep us up to date or truthfully informed of the delays. What made it worse was that we were delayed on the outbound flight for 1 hour due to missing our airspace, this appeared to be just due to bad time management as we boarded the plane late. I would definitley not travel with Viking again and will make sure my friends Know not to either, its just a shame because we had a good holiday but felt this spoilt the end of it really. The trip was very frustrating and tiring and a disapointing end to an otherwise enjoyable holiday! http://www.flyviking.com/images/spacer_blue.gif

Nicholas49
18th Jul 2010, 20:13
Look, mate, these things happen. With ALL airlines. It's not the end of the world! You simply cannot extrapolate one incident to make a sweeping statement about a company's entire operation.

I was delayed for 7 hours at Geneva airport waiting for an easyJet flight. It was inconvenient, but a stand-by crew came to collect us. Last weekend, we waited 40 minutes on a Ryanair flight while French ATC got their a@?%s in gear so we could depart. Again, a bit irritating, but these things happen!

Maybe you just don't understand the very many variables involved in making your flight operate on time.

Lafyar Cokov
18th Jul 2010, 20:29
Tootsie - how was the flight out to SSH?

lolatstupidpax
18th Jul 2010, 20:31
tootsie1, short answer....you get what you pay for. You have paid peanuts but you expect BA service. :ugh: Every charter airline will fly their aircraft non-stop 24/7 throughout the summer, so when an aircraft diverts as it did that day apparently...unfortunately there will be a knock-on effect.

Aircraft do not always return to the same airport they departed from and a simple wikepedia search will show you that Viking have bases at Gatwick and Manchester. It's quite funny how you have taken it personally that the Gatwick passengers were not delayed...classic northern chip on shoulder. :suspect:

As for the blankets, well if more were loaded on the aircraft it would mean more space taken, weight added which would lead to more fuel and an end up with you paying more for a ticket. As for comp drinks, well i believe for that length of delay you would have received vouchers to spend at the airport..no?

Lastly, are you really blaming Viking for the incompetent Manchester Airport staff who were not ready with steps?.....lol :D :)

LadyR
18th Jul 2010, 20:37
Anyone any idea why the viking flight from MAN to Paphos was delayed today by 159 mins...when everything else seemed to be going on time or within 10 mins???

TSR2
18th Jul 2010, 20:52
Lastly, are you really blaming Viking for the incompetent Manchester Airport staff who were not ready with steps?.....

Is this not the responsibility of the airlines handling agent not Manchester Airport.

TSR2
18th Jul 2010, 20:54
The staff came round with blankets charging £6.50

Sheeeez ....... I hope you get to keep them at that cost.

Facts R Us
20th Jul 2010, 14:09
Lady R - "Anyone any idea why the viking flight from MAN to Paphos was delayed today by 159 mins...when everything else seemed to be going on time or within 10 mins???"

Yes thanks!

TSR2 - "
Quote:
The staff came round with blankets charging £6.50
Sheeeez ....... I hope you get to keep them at that cost."

You sure do, its a full snoozer pack with Neck Pillow, Eye Mask and Blanket, same as sold on many other Charter Airlines.

ShirleyW1967
24th Jul 2010, 15:40
Worst company ever to deal with. Have just had to book my brother, wife and two young children an an alternative flight after they arrived at Las Palmas airport, only to find there was NO check in desk, NO flight and no-one to advise. I called BAA Travel Service who they had booked through, after being unable to get through to Viking after one hour waiting on the line. Glasgow airport advised to phone BAA, as Glasgow said there were no scheduled flights from Viking into Glasgow that weekend. BAA were unable to contact Viking either and eventually advised that there was no return flight arranged and that they should seek an alternative to get home. Had to pay 1.5 times the price of the return flight cost, just for one-way flights at short notice. Don't use. Return flight number on booking confirmation showed flight number as VIK K0000 - maybe this should have sounded some alarm bells!

LadyR
25th Jul 2010, 22:34
On the viking timetable on their own website...flights are disappearing like mad.......no one replied to my question about delays last weekend.....but the same has happened this weekend but worse...15.35 flight...was still wait in lounge at 23.15...what is happening here!!
if you ring their customer service after holding you are asked to leave a msg and number, however the line then hangs up!!!
IS THIS ABOUT TO GO BUMP OR WHAT!!!
I appreciate this site is for crew etc...but the customer service is poor and at the end of the day..we pay your wages!!
RE-ASSURANCE IS DESPERATELY NEEDED!!!!!

Boo37dog
27th Jul 2010, 10:54
Can someone explain to me why on earth we arrived at Paphos Airport on Sunday evening at 9.30pm on 25 July ready to catch our flight to Glasgow scheduled to leave at 11.50pm only to be told that we couldnt board and would have to stay in a hotel for the night and catch another flight in the morning. This happened to a number of passengers arriving at this time. We have since been told that due to the Greek air strike which we appreciate is out of everyones control but to actually let 160 people board the plane and then take off early without us and not inform us either was disgusting. The flight apparently took off at 11pm which was enough time to get the remaining 25 passengers on board I would think, we were not told it had left early, check in staff just kept passing the buck saying it was the strike and not telling us the aircraft was waiting. We caught a flight the next day to MANCHESTER and on board no one even knew about our dilmena until we told the captain and crew, they eventually got us sorted out with a mini bus to Glasgow so another 4 hour drive. Not a great end to the holiday at all and I would never fly with them again, on board it was freezing, this is def a ploy to sell the blankets I would think, it was the same on the way out. Our flight was delayed by 2 hours on the way out and nothing was mentioned of the fact. Yes I know there are delays but this airline is dodgy and the comments of everyone ring alarm bells, I wish I had listened.:rolleyes:

xraydice
27th Jul 2010, 19:05
I have flown Viking as well as many of the other lo-co's and not-so-lo-co's , something the disgruntled / disgusted of (insert location) may want to bear in mind is ( and this applies to any air transport operation ) the fact that flying an aircraft is ,to some degree an exact science with some human interactiom and skill, whereas running to shedule is not so exact due to the many and sometimes unpredictable factors that crop up. Occasionaly it's the passenger that is that factor, along with ( insert any unforseed factor from strikes,weather,late pax,volcanic eruption ,dead cow on rwy,you get the idea....)
Sure it can be cold , but a damm sight colder outside ! ask the CC for the temp to be raised, lets face it 2 weeks in the sun and heat will make almost anywhere feel cold.
I fly Viking as well as many of the other lo-co's again in August, its a cheap flight with a seat,toilet and refreshments available,CC to keep me safe and assist me if required and like any flight to far far away land it sure beats walking !
And when I go with BA or Virgin its a seat,toliet and refreshments available etc etc, you get what you pay for but at the end of the day you take off, fly and land regardless.
Rant over ,off to pack my bags

Xrd

3REDS
28th Jul 2010, 06:20
Lady R

Did you know that Viking is a re-brand of XL Airways with the very same people involved from the CEO, Chief Pilot, Pilots, Cabin Crew, Ground Staff etc etc they have even re-painted some of the XL Aircraft into Viking colours.

Oh and just to remind you XL airways went bust in Sept 08 leaving thousands stranded and millions of pounds in debt.

Buyer beware!!!

excrab
30th Jul 2010, 08:41
3 Reds,

Are you sure of all that. I didn't work for XL so don't know all of the personalities involved, but I do work in a minor capacity for Viking.

Is the company really a rebranding of XL? I was told when I joined that Viking had been operating since 2003, yet XL went bust in 2008, so I don't see how that works unless time travel was involved.

The CEO of Viking is Swedish, I believe? did XL have a swedish CEO? As a similar question I believe that the chief pilot is Norwegian. I am surprised that XL, as a UK AOC operator, had foreign nationals in those positions, but I suppose it could have happened.

Some of the pilots I have met have come from XL, but others have come from Ryan Air, BMI baby, Globespan, SAS, Sterling, and others. The same can be said for cabin crew and ground staff.

At least one of their aircraft previously flew with BMI baby, and is now repainted in Viking colours - would that make it a rebranding of BMI? The others came from a variety of companies but the facts are that they belong to leasing companies, as do the aircraft of most airlines, the company that leased them previously is irrelevant.

It is a shame that with the current economic climate you seem so anti an airline which is at least providing some work for employees who have been made redundant by failures of other airlines in Europe. Unlike XL Viking seems to have a very cautious business plan of slow growth to meet demand which hopefully will survive.

As far as the incidents on here, all airlines have their problems - I was parked on a Greek airport on Sunday next to a Tui 737-800 which had been closed up and the crew gone to a hotel because slots had put them out of hours - so at least 180 disgruntled passsengers there who didn't get home that night. I don't know what causes all of the delays but If you operate to Greece in the summer it is difficult to avoid them. And there is no SOP to keep the cabin cold, the crew don't like being cold either but tend not to notice as they are rushing about serving passengers. If you are cold tell someone and the pilots will turn the temperature up, and after a while if you are still cold tell them again and they will turn it up a bit more.

xraydice
30th Jul 2010, 18:26
3 Reds,
you are demonstrating your lack of knowledge on how the airline industry works, the same people crop up usualy in the same genre as before ,the same aircraft are re-leased and reliveried, I have flown on the same aircraft in the colours of 3 different carriers.
If I were you I'd still be worried about the "mob" that rebranded BOAC :bored:

3REDS
1st Aug 2010, 15:45
Oh excrab I'm sure.

Directors of the collapsed XL Leisure Group, which fell into administration last September leaving thousands of passengers stranded, have emerged as backers of Viking Airlines, a firm that will fly British passengers to and from the Continent this summer.

Less than six months after XL founder Phil Wyatt was filmed crying on TV, amid the collapse of the firm with debts of more than £100m, his new business Black Pearl Investments, named after Johnny Depp's ship in Pirates of the Caribbean, has taken a 50 per cent stake in Viking through its Icelandic operation, BPI Iceland Ltd.

Alongside Wyatt, Halldor Sigurdarson, XL's former finance director, and former XL director Magnus Stephensen, are backers of the new investment firm behind Viking.

A spokesman for Companies House in Sweden told The Independent on Sunday: "I can confirm the shares for BPI Iceland are represented by a Magnus Stephensen. In the latest minutes that we have received, a company called BPI Iceland owns 30,000 shares in Viking Airlines AB."

Mr Stephensen confirmed that BPI had taken a 50 per cent stake in the airline. From this summer Viking Airlines will fly British holidaymakers, after it struck a deal to sell flights in the UK through Meridian Aviation, a firm run by Jim Wyatt, the brother of Phil Wyatt.

Meridian also recently signed a deal to provide seats in the UK to Kiss Flights, which is run by Paul Moss, a former director of Freedom Flights, a subsidiary of XL Leisure.

In September last year Moss is reported to have said: "Phil was – and is – absolutely devastated by the collapse of XL and is absolutely not involved in Kiss."

An industry source said: "While I'm not suggesting for a moment that Phil Wyatt and the others have done anything wrong, the fact that they are emerging at the heart of the industry less than six months after XL failed will leave many feeling very uneasy."

News of Wyatt's re-emergence comes as many people continue to struggle to get their money back in the wake of XL's demise. Zolfo Cooper, handling XL's administration, has conceded that most creditors are unlikely to recoup their losses.

Meanwhile, figures from PricewaterhouseCoopers released today are likely to provide little cheer for the UK travel industry. In under two years, the number of insolvent tour operators/travel agents has increased by 50 per cent, with 15 going in bust in the final three months of 2008. But PwC's Ian Oakley-Smith, said: "With around 30 airline failures forecast over the next year, travel organisers operating under the Atol scheme will be expected to find alternative air travel for their customers. This could finish off a number of smaller companies."

But he added: "XL had 3 per cent of the market and its demise will have freed up share for other travel companies. As more become insolvent in 2009, this will benefit some of the larger players and the gulf between winner and losers will widen''

Taken from :XL directors take secret Viking stake - Business News, Business - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/xl-directors-take-secret-viking-stake-1522250.html)

GambiaGal
11th Aug 2010, 14:53
Just got back from The Gambia. We flew Gatwick to Banjul with Viking. The flight was booked through The Gambia Experience so they obviously charter the flight from Viking. It was the first time we'd ever heard of or used Viking and, quite frankly, after reading this website I was very worried. It turned out that there was nothing to worry about. The flights were on time, the food was good, the staff were extremely friendly and efficient. The service (duty free and bar) had plenty of choice (both ways). We paid for extra leg room and got it! On the return flight each seat had a bottle of water on it (tell me any other budget airline which give them away free???). The only problem we had was when we landed in Gatwick and the steps didn't work so we had to wait about 20/30 minutes for the ground staff to bring new steps. Not really the end of the world!!! I would certainly use Viking again. :ok:

renegadespirit
14th Aug 2010, 21:47
Just taken the Hurghada trip myself and the service was ontime outbound and inbound, arriving 25 mins early at gatwick.
Great crew and flight info accurate and delivered with a smile. Even with a Fox running round on the runway on arrival in H the Captain had time to explain while we circled several times and we still arrived ontime. Pre book your seats online with Viking even if you are going with an agent do it direct and its worth the leg room extras and the food extras, no food service on the flight without prebooking. So take your own if you are not taking the extras.

If you want a Hotel recomendation stay at the Sheraton Soma Bay about 45 mins south of Hurghada. Great house reef.

Good luck

Zante
16th Aug 2010, 17:14
Hi
I am also flying with Viking for the first time on 5th September 2010 to Zante from Manchester. I have emailed the company to gain there asssurances and confidence that operations on there small airline have changed over the years and past months.
I believe there fleet is more modern and 747-800's are ok with me.
I await there reply to my questions about delays / comfort / oerational issues, as expressed by others on other forums.
I expect only good results.
Yours in anticipation of a good holiday.
Booked through Travelrepublic / Kiss.
Zante:ok:

jeanyqua
16th Aug 2010, 20:21
Quote..
"Did you know that Viking is a re-brand of XL Airways with the very same people involved from the CEO, Chief Pilot, Pilots, Cabin Crew, Ground Staff etc etc they have even re-painted some of the XL Aircraft into Viking colours."
I thought i'd read that somewhere,& was nearly enticed by a nice price to fly them from Man to Ace recently,but after reading the shannanigans on here,will not consider using them in the future,(if they last that long !!!)
Perhaps i shouldn't really slate them,as i've not flown them,but i ain't taking no chances.

TightSlot
17th Aug 2010, 17:39
Kiss Flights ceases trading (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2010/08/17/34491/kiss+flights+ceases+trading.html)

west lakes
17th Aug 2010, 17:56
Posted in R&N

http://www.pprune.org/5875766-post6.html

bs71kr
26th Aug 2010, 22:06
Could someone please clarify the rules regarding lapbelts as we travelled 2 weeks ago on viking airlines and our son was 2 years 6 days and they allowed us to use a lap/loop belt on me which I used on take off and landing as he was frightened. However on the return leg he was 2 years and 20 days I asked for a lap/loop belt and I was denied one. consequently we had a screaming frightened child fighting to get on my lap and I was having to deal with other passengers saying that my child needed a slap! We have been very frequent flyers since he was 3 months and never had this experience before.

Vld1977
27th Aug 2010, 01:51
I think what might have happened is that the 2nd FA was being strict and the 1st one wasn't. A 2 year old child cannot travel anymore on the parents' lap and has to have their own seat. The first attendant just did you a favour, the second applied the rules strictly.

Fernanjet
27th Aug 2010, 11:56
would it not depend on the country of registration for the aircraft operating that sector as to that countrys laws?

The first attendant just did you a favour, the second applied the rules strictly

If it was UK registered - i would re-phrase that line to: The first attendant just broke the law, the second didn't.

Had there been an incident....i wouldn't want to have been in the first attendants shoes!!

bs71kr
27th Aug 2010, 19:45
Thank you for your replies. I was looking to see where the rules stand as at the time it was a bit of an ambigious situation as the fa checked my sons and another passengers childs passport to check ages. I have no problem following the law and had this been her response I would not be querying it. I thought maybe they did not have enough on board.wanted to know where I stood in the future. I think I will be remaining in the uk for a while. Thanks again.

Vld1977
28th Aug 2010, 01:01
The first attendant just broke the law, the second didn't.

Yes, that's true. I was just thinking that the first FA, probably, either didn't think they were breaing the rules, as the child actually had their own seat, or decided to take the risk for the confort of the pax, wrongly dismissing the 6 days difference as irrelevant.

Rusland 17
30th Aug 2010, 18:46
I think I will be remaining in the uk for a while.From what you say about your child's behaviour on the flight, I think a lot of travellers will be grateful that you did. :)

bs71kr
30th Aug 2010, 19:06
Yes! I would be grateful to as im not one to upset other people. He has always had impeccable behaviour while travelling regular 4 hour flights and people have always commented so.It was just the take off and landing whereby he was upset through fear! I hope that by growing up before we travel again he will come to understand!