PDA

View Full Version : Request Airfield Name WEST Of Prospect Reservoir, Nsw.

Maggott17
27th Feb 2009, 03:29
There is an Aerodrome shown on the SY VTC approx 6nm west of Prospect Reservoir.

Can anyone tell me its name please?

Feather #3
27th Feb 2009, 03:36
Umm......do you really mean what you've written??:D

G'day ;)

Maggott17
27th Feb 2009, 03:40
Me no savvy?

There is an un-named airfield on the Warragamba pipeline and ont he boundayr of D556b and D556A, which is about 6nm west of Prospect Reservoir.

What is the name of this airfield?

Surely its not that hard a question.

Maggott17
27th Feb 2009, 03:42
Ok, I'm a goose.

The title is wrong. WEST is the correct orientation.:)

Maggott17
27th Feb 2009, 03:44
The strip is long enough to have a C337 parked on it.

I don't want to land there, just want to find out the name.

b_sta
27th Feb 2009, 03:46
Airfield? More like a tiny strip with high tension power lines nearby that students shoot approaches over. No idea if it even has a name.

inandout
27th Feb 2009, 03:47
Richmond YSRI

Fonz121
27th Feb 2009, 03:48
St Marys??

Freewheel
27th Feb 2009, 03:49
I was going to nominate Schofields, but perhaps not.

How about;

I'vegotabetterlawyerthanyouanddeeperpockets-field?

Kickatinalong
27th Feb 2009, 03:49
The strip is Kennetts Airfield sometimes referred to as St. Marys, it's now dirt , was bitumum but the owner had it dug up, it's marked on both ends with white crosses. I think they don't want it used because if something goes wrong the owners "could" get sued, if you wish to know more PM me.
Kickatinalong:ok:

Maggott17
27th Feb 2009, 03:51
Thanks Kickitalong, I appreciate your input.

mcgrath50
27th Feb 2009, 07:06
St Mary's is NOT in the restricted area but just to the south.

hoss
27th Feb 2009, 08:20
st marys for sure. as far as using the place just go out tomorrow and broadcast that your tracking direct to SMAWG for the RNAV/GNSS approach and see what happens!

funnier still if the gps takes you there.

arwen11
27th Feb 2009, 09:45
Yeah the strip is St.Mary's alright.
It's just outside the restricted area. I don't know the current status as I don't have an updated map. I trained at Bankstown and we always practiced forced landings and prec search & landings there. Never landed on it though.
It was a dirt strip then but we never had the white crosses. Have they just come up?
Seems like the owner got sick of small planes buzzing all over eh?

sms777
27th Feb 2009, 10:00
Did a touch and go in a TomCat{Pa 38) back in 1990 right next to the pipelines. I have not attempted the same lately due to the size of aircraft i fly these days.
You tend to forget the let down procedures to some of these fields after a while. :E

Mr Bomb
27th Feb 2009, 19:40
Kennets is a private airfield that is well kept. The owner never gives permission for people to land there unless you know her personally. This is due to an unfortunate incident involving a C337 and a lack of undercarriage a few years back. There is a couple of private aircraft kept there (you may notice the hangars). It is immediately adjacent to the 24 hour restricted area over the top of the Defence Establishment Orchard Hills Ammunition Depot SFC to 1500ft (off the top of my head) and the Range that is NOTAM'd for weekdays from 0900-1200 and 1300 to 1600 SFC to 4500ft. This used to be known as 1CAMD (Central Ammunition Depot) or RAAF Kingswood.

It is not to be confused with the old St Mary's bomb factory/dump, as that was closed years ago and no longer has a restricted area over it. St Mary's (old bomb dump) is on the Northern Side of the M4 immediately east of Cranebrook. Kennets airfield is known locally as St Mary's though as others have stated. Note if you drift over the water pipes to the North then you will be over the range and could get airconditioning added as a no cost option to your aircraft.

Lots of aircraft practice PFL's all the time although they are not allowed to put wheels on the dirt.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mr B.

Ultralights
27th Feb 2009, 20:45
dont forget Badgerys creek airfield about 3 miles south of St Marys.. how many of you can find that?

bentleg
27th Feb 2009, 21:08
dont forget Badgerys creek airfield about 3 miles south of St Marys.. how many of you can find that?

Is that the one at 33 51 48 S and 150 46 27 E - called Fleurs Aerodrome.

Wikipedia says -

Fleurs Aerodrome was a parent aerodrome built on behalf of the Royal Australian Air Force near Penrith, New South Wales, Australia during World War II.
Construction started on the aerodrome in 1942 and was still under construction in 1944 as part of a proposal to base a United States Navy Fleet Air Wing in Sydney should the need arise. Initially planned with three runways, No.1 (5000ft) and No. 3 (6000ft) runways were serviceable, however construction of No. 2 runway (5000ft) was abandoned. A total of eight aircraft dispersal hideouts were constructed and accomodation was a farm house and a former Civil Constructional Corps camp.
In 1969, Fleurs was considered as a site of the second aiport for Sydney. The aerodrome is now utlised as precision ground-reflection antenna range operated by the University of Sydney, known as the Fleurs Radio Obervatory.

Ultralights
27th Feb 2009, 21:15
thats not it.. no antenna near it, but i know where that one mentioned in wiki is... great for practicing forced landing at, and making sure student have a good look before selecting a field.

bentleg
28th Feb 2009, 01:07
thats not it.. no antenna near it,

Mmmmm. There is a tower at the SW end of Fleurs Aerodrome. you can see the shadow of it on Google Earth. Where is the airstrip you mention? Co-ordinates?

Capt Fathom
28th Feb 2009, 02:03
Is that the one at 33 51 48 S and 150 46 27 E

There's a Canberra parked up the NE end of what remains of the airstrip!

Cloud Basher
1st Mar 2009, 15:21
I believe "Badgery's Creek International Airport" is at

33 53 13 S 150 43 04 E

or at least that is what we call it when flying around the local area:E

Cheers
CB

Kickatinalong
2nd Mar 2009, 03:28
It's next to the Automatic Weather Station, and OK if you fly Trikes etc no good for proper aircraft.
Kickatinalong.:D

nick2007
2nd Mar 2009, 03:56
Fleurs is at "tadpole lake". As the article suggests, the airstrip at Fleurs was closed when the radio telescope was installed (1950's-60's). There used to be a Canberra parked there up until a year or so ago.

Badgery's Ck is a grass cross strip west of the brickworks (if i remember correctly).

There used to be a N/S strip at Wallacia (before my time).

Threr is also a long strip north of the pipeline near St Mary's which is now used for model flying (I believe).

...Can you find the remains of the strips at Mt Druitt and Castlereagh? (I still can't find the latter)

arwen11
5th Mar 2009, 18:05
If my memory has not failed me, Badgery's Creek is that grass cross strip west of the brickworks.
I remember I was asked to demonstrate a PFL on that strip during my CPL test.
The bloody thing is not easy to spot, especially if you don't know what it looks like.:confused:
And after all the hard work when you finally see it you wonder whether it can even be called a strip!

airtags
5th Mar 2009, 22:05
Have not flown in the west of syd for ages but I do remember dropping in on a knarly little semi overgrown strip near the Druitt to adjust a camera mount. (in a litle Robbie)

- s'pose that was at the very least 10 years ago - probably more.
Guess like most it is now a housing estate?

Yamaha46
22nd Jun 2015, 23:03
Would you have the contact details for Kennett's Strip?