PDA

View Full Version : Queue Jumping Air NZ Pilots

Mythos
27th Feb 2009, 02:26
Hello,

Can someone explain why the Air NZ pilots think they're entitled to "queue jump" at the xray machines at AKLD International airport departures?

It's bliimmin' rude not to mention it tarnishes their reputation as passengers are making adverse comments once they've walked through.

Join the queue like the rest of us. It's only a few minutes.

Cheers.

blueloo
27th Feb 2009, 02:30
Guess it depends if you want an on time departure.

What I suggest you do is write a letter to the relevant authorities and indicate your complete disgust that crew members are jumping the line, and suggest the only logical common sense solution. Suggest that security screening is both pointless, completely irrelevant and will not make one ounce of difference to safety, and therefore crew should not be delayed in anyway through security.

That way we clear up two things. One, disgruntled passengers getting unnecessarily upset at allowing operating crew to pass with the minimum of fuss into their workplace, and two unnecessarily upsetting operating pilots for no reason whatsoever other than to look like the traveling public is being protected by some lip service irrelevant security.

rockarpee
27th Feb 2009, 02:37
Crew are "entitled" to queue jump at every airport I operate into and I will continue to do so.:rolleyes: mind you I do it with a smile and thankyou.

cribble
27th Feb 2009, 02:48
I'm with you, Mythos.

They probably slouch about on the flight-deck, too!

And perhaps even take their ties off!

We should not be allowing standards to drop simply to achieve an on-time departure.

Why should we follow the practice of most airport screening systems if it offends our provincial sensibilities to do so?

What are they hiding? I think we should be told!

Mach E Avelli
27th Feb 2009, 03:08
Mythos you tool - do you think that all pilots have to do once they get to the aeroplane is close the door, turn the starter key, put it into drive and hit the accelerator?
Everywhere I go on duty I politely jump the queue, with a word to those that I push in front of, like 'hope you don't mind, but this way hopefully we won't all be late.' Only the stupid would not get it. If anyone objected, then I would come out with my 'stiff****, go rent your own uniform and you too will be treated like royalty' line, but so far that has not been necessary.

harrowing
27th Feb 2009, 03:19
Sometimes there is even a sign stating that crew in uniform have priority.
I would like to think that most of the public could see the benefit of losing one slot in the queue for the chance of an on-time departure.

Mr. Hat
27th Feb 2009, 03:26
I think you need to wake up to yourself.

Just because YOU are offended it doesn't mean the rest of the passengers would be happy to depart and arrive late.

Flight Crew (Pilots AND Flight Attendants), have very little time from sign on to push back and have a vast number of tasks to be carried out in this time. Since security screening was introduced airlines and auhorities have not made any adjustment in the available time prior to departure. A lot of flight crew routinely turn up for work 30 minutes early (upaid) to ensure the show runs safely and smoothly.

Engineers, caterers, cleaners and so on do not have to be screened as the government deems them to not be a threat. Intrestingly the aforementioned people all come in contact with Flight Crew and therefore could hand over anything they wanted to including items such as tweezers or deoderant.

When I'm in plain clothes and standing in the queue and pilots, police or flight attendants "jump" the queue it doesn't bother me nor anyone I'm standing around. Must be a common sense thing.

Oxidant
27th Feb 2009, 03:29
It's not the first of April yet, is it?

Hope this is a wind up, but, just for info. Most of us are given something between 45 mins & 1 hr from checking in (at the office) to push back. Scant time to check the weather, fuel, Notams, aircraft etc. Then get to the plane & set it up, fuel, cargo & pax it.
So, by all means, just to please you I will wait in line at security......Just see how many then complain that they departed late........................:rolleyes:

(Hi Mr Hat, same nerve struck, methinks?)

umopap!sdn
27th Feb 2009, 03:31
Hello,

Can someone explain why the Air NZ pilots think they're entitled to "queue jump" at the xray machines at AKLD International airport departures?

It's bliimmin' rude not to mention it tarnishes their reputation as passengers are making adverse comments once they've walked through.

Cheers.

Got 'em good.

Start winding.

Keg
27th Feb 2009, 04:28
Hmmmm. Member for nine years, three posts, only two of which are visible and that one was from 2002. I smell an 'alter-ego' at play here. :suspect:

I must say that I'm a bit insulted by the wind up effort though. You could probably have taken a swipe at crew from Qantas, Jetstar, QantasLink, Virgin Blue, Pac Blue, etc, etc as we all do. Why were the rest of us missed out? You only want to wind up the Air NZ crew?

If you're going to go for the wind up then at least you should have the courtesy to hack off as many people as possible! :rolleyes: :E

Mr. Hat
27th Feb 2009, 04:58
Hi Oxidant, yeah maybe a bit of a raw nerve. I've had no problem at security but I am getting a little tired of the routine. Maybe I should set up a cardboard box airside and live there.

I've accepted (quietly) that companies will try and screw every term, condition and ounce of respect out of crews but when the very people we work hard to keep safe tell us to join the queue then yeah i get a bit fed up.

Anyway haven't had a rant for a while so i was over due wind up or no wind up:suspect:.

billyt
27th Feb 2009, 05:18
This thread was started yesterday on Rumours and News. It must have been removed from there so Mythos is having another try here.

ETOPS Jock
27th Feb 2009, 05:25
Mythos, :ok:

Cribble is probably right that they slouch about on the flight-deck!

I've heard told that not only do they take their ties off but they undo their top button as well! :ooh:

Crikey, I've even seen a hostie take drinks into the flight deck. Surely that must be banned, after all they jumped the queue at screening. :=

ElPerro
27th Feb 2009, 05:42
Suggest that security screening is both pointless, completely irrelevant and will not make one ounce of difference to safety, and therefore crew should not be delayed in anyway through security.

How do you figure that security screening is pointless?

Oxidant
27th Feb 2009, 05:43
O.K, yes, you have got me..... I do take off my tie & undo the top button of my shirt .

On a side note, being a "regular" through security all over the World. (With and without dedicated crew security areas) I (and the rest of my crew) have had, how can I put it ? "variable treatment?"
The most polite, being in Asia & Eastern Europe. The worst, well, you can guess.

However, to date, the security guys & girls at Christchurch have always been extremely courteous.
Credit, where it's due. (Something missing, all too often in society today!)

Soap box away, off to work..

c100driver
27th Feb 2009, 05:55

It is because every single pilot that has been through security has actually managed to take over control of an aircraft parked airside, almost 100% of the time. Total failure of the security check to prevent this!

Mr. Hat
27th Feb 2009, 06:05

Well, either you screen everyone or no one. To add to that you need to xray all freight and baggage.

Otherwise the whole excercise is a waste of time.

Come to think of it would be happy to stand in a long queue - that way bloggs can grab a coffee or two and we can chew the fat and those that are late as a result...oh well:zzz::zzz:

ElPerro
27th Feb 2009, 06:16
It is because every single pilot that has been through security has actually managed to take over control of an aircraft parked airside, almost 100% of the time. Total failure of the security check to prevent this!

I don't think you've thought that through.

1> Pilot gets cleared straight through security, with no checking.
2> Pilot in main terminal hands briefcase with bomb to nominated suicide bomber checked in on another flight
3> Pilot boards his flight and goes on merry way.
4> Suicide Bomber boards another flight (without pilot who brought bomb through security unchecked) and merrily blows up aircraft with all on board.
5> Pilot home free to collect large payment.

fourgolds
27th Feb 2009, 06:58
Typical passengers complaining why the crew bypass them. They would complain even more if the flight was delayed because of the crew being stuck in security.

Wiat I have an idea , lets see when an ambulance is rushing to an accident in traffic . I think they should wait in line just like the other cars. They will get their eventually. I mean how dare they flash their lights and move to the scene with purpose !

To the totally ignorant amongst us . There are a series of DVD type documentaries available on various crews doing a flight from A to B , and it shows in detail some of the cockpit prep . You might actually learn that we dont just walk up and start it like a car in the garage and zoom we,re off.

ElPerro
27th Feb 2009, 07:06
I have an idea. Turn up to work 4 minutes earlier and wait in line.

Are you telling me you'll run out of crew duty if you turn up 4 minutes earlier?

Captain Sand Dune
27th Feb 2009, 07:10
Hey dude,

Regretting your post yet?:}

Shredder6
27th Feb 2009, 07:40
Hello,

You're kidding right?

This happens all over the world and not just with one airline. Security staff often wave the crew through to the head of the queue.

Most crew have their bags ready to place straight on to the conveyor, and walk thru the machine and not dick around taking items out of pockets, phones, wallets, LAGS, coins etc etc.

There is minimal delay.

Most crew are very courteous if there is a queue and I would imagine that most pax are understanding of this requirement.

illusion
27th Feb 2009, 08:05
Far bitter to have a trans tismin bovine lover in front of ewe in the queue so you can keep a close eye on hum.....:p

mattyj
27th Feb 2009, 08:21
the security checks are to stop someone damaging the aircraft or pilots..

..so obviously checking the pilots is unneccesary

fourgolds
27th Feb 2009, 08:23
I have an idea. You turn up four minutes earlier for your flight. In fact why dont we have passengers check in 5 hours before a flight.

Crew duty times are predicated ( depending on the regulator) by signing on 1 hr before the flight ( this is where our duty begins) Normally at home base we sign on in a building ( opps) that is way from the security. So once this is done we have to make our way to the aircraft within ( the 1 hour period) and prepare the aircraft for despatch.

I feel like I am educating kindergarden here. Do you not realise that this is our work enviroment. Yes we are different to you. Many countries have designated "crew" lanes just for us. If you fell that strongly in the kindergarden then why dont you write to your MP. One of three things will happen . 1) We will get a crew lane 2) You will be ignored 3) you will be delayed .

Enjoy your playdough and smarties