PDA

View Full Version : Do You think Private ADS-B Tracers Can Be Dangerous?

justintime5
26th Feb 2009, 17:14
Hi,

I have just came across this web site:
www.localizatodo.com (http://www.localizatodo.com) and made me think about security issue. Can this information can actually create a new means of threat to aviation.
I suppose I am exagerating but you know, so many news about all types of threats you never know. :confused:

This is a Spanish web site but I have been told that there are few others around.

On the other hand I think that they are pretty cool. Dose anyone know about other sites that have a coverage in the UK?

Argentomagus
26th Feb 2009, 17:26
I received, as a splendid gift, an AirNav RadarBox.
You install the software, plug in the little black box and the little antenna and voilą ! On your screen, in real time you can see all the airplanes that are transmiting ADSB and/or mode S.
Automaticaly the software interogates online database and provide you with pictures of the airplane. You know it's altitude, registration, origin and destination. It's a splendid device. One option is to share the data you receive online with other users. In that case, the data is delayed by five minutes . Apparentlly an international consensus for security reasons.
You can set specific alarms. I am therefore informed by email when certain registrations are detected.

I don't feel that I am a danger to anyone when using it. I enjoy it so much I got a second screen for my computer and the device is running all day long on it's dedicated screen...

green granite
26th Feb 2009, 18:58
:confused: When I click on that link I get Spanish AIS information showing shipping around the coast of Spain and Portugal. the British version of which is ShipAIS- Watching the boats go by. (http://www.aisliverpool.co.uk/index.php)

justintime5
26th Feb 2009, 19:57
Sorry,

You need to select on the drop down menu AVIONES (Planes)
:ok:

eglnyt
1st Mar 2009, 22:58
Technically ADS-B receivers in the UK are probably illegal to use for the same reasons that you aren't supposed to listen to ATC air ground air traffic. The legal position can be found in a sticky at the top of the ATC forum.

In practice the authorities tend to turn a blind eye to listening to air ground air for private use and might do the same with ADS-B receivers. They usually take a less sympathetic approach to people who attempt to publish air ground air conversations on the web and those who stream ADS-B. For that reason you won't find any private sites covering the UK or if you do they tend not to stay up for very long.

For the obvious security reasons you won't find live UK radar data on any official site but many airports have WebTrak pages which show historical data, normally a couple of days old.

LH2
2nd Mar 2009, 12:50
Re. the "security reasons" argument... surely if you want to shoot down a plane even the silliest terrorist wannabe would think of just sort of hanging around with his RPG somewhere along the LOC path?

Similar noises are sometimes made by people regarding the AIS system. As an AIS user in my professional life, those sites with live feeds have come in handy a couple of times in situations which would have necessitated escalating were it not for the ability to see beyond our own AIS range that those sites provide.

Scaremongers, politicians, and impressionable people might have a different opinion.

Archie Alexander
19th Aug 2009, 11:25
You can find barrels of info here in the Radarspotters forum.
The site is very comprehensive and covers the subject in depth, also there are links to a host of live tracking sites.

RADARSPOTTERS (http://radarspotters.eu)