View Full Version : 1981 Hawker 700

LSU Tiger
26th Feb 2009, 14:44
Newbie to this site, was looking at purchasing a Hawker for private use and was wondering about how much longer this model aircraft will be viable/economical. My thoughts were to place it with a charter service where they maintain the aircraft, furnish the crews etc. I currently charter with a company out of Atlanta, GA using the cash payment upfront then draw down on the cash in your account as you fly. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

LGW Vulture
26th Feb 2009, 15:02
Well if you're looking at paying under US$1.5m for S/N 309 then it looks a steal!! Once the prices reach the bottom then the economics of operating are less onerous. Just make sure its not due any major X rays and the engines are fully paid up MSP.

Hope this helps but one thing - don't go in blind, you can get bitten! ;)

LSU Tiger
26th Feb 2009, 15:20
Thanks for your help!!

scrivenger
26th Feb 2009, 15:27
Seek reputable, experienced and professional advice......

con-pilot
26th Feb 2009, 16:38
Seek reputable, experienced and professional advice......

That is excellent advice.

Do have the aircraft appraised.

Do have a neutral, non-biased, reputable maintenance company do a complete and comprehensive pre-buy inspection. The purchaser, you, will pay for the inspection, however, the seller must pay for any repairs. Make sure all AD notes and Service Bulletins are complied with.

Do have a title search done on the aircraft.

Do not buy any 731 powered aircraft that is not on MSP, MSP Gold preferred, especially an aircraft the age of a Hawker 700.

My thoughts were to place it with a charter service where they maintain the aircraft, furnish the crews etc.

On the surface this type of arrangement looks very appealing to the first time aircraft owner, however, be very careful and I cannot recommend strongly enough that you have a law firm that specializes in aviation to review any contract with a management company before you sign any agreement.

One question about your choice of a Hawker 700. Do you have plans to operate the aircraft out of high altitude airports, such as Aspen, Vail, etc.?

Good luck and enjoy your aircraft.

hawker750
26th Feb 2009, 17:19
Operate 2 Hawker 700's and they are still very viable machines, extremely reliable apart from a couple of points:
1/ Try and go for one with the -D engine mods. MSP about $75/Hr/eng cheaper
and MPI interval 2100 hours. MSP Gold nice but expensive option. The -D's are
a much better engine.
2/ Go for one with at least 36 months till next 4 year inspection.
3/ Always carry on board a spare ITT guage. They are not very reliable and
getting rare. (they take 30 seconds to change)
4/ Like wise if you have the early AC N1 guages keep a spare. I will buy one
from any one who has any serviceable (Part no. 330)
5/ Skip T/R's heavy, use fuel and more expense to maintain
6/ Check landing gear time and also the 6000 landing flap motor (Expensive)
7/ Check windscreen alternator time. If near time ex. change it before it fails.
8/ Never run the starter Generators to 1,000 hours. If it fails then overhaul cost
high. Be happy with 750-800 hours life.
9/ Use Dunlop tyres, other makes can cause U/C vibration (true for all hawkers)
10/ If you have a few niggly defects, leave them if you can. The 700 has a
remarkable habit of fixing it self!! especially as you are about to take it in for
maintenance!

I could go on and on. Before the slump operating 600 hours/year for last 15 years with 99.9999% dispatch reliability. For the money great aircraft, 2200 nm range, APU, loo and a quiet cabin, the passengers love them. Downside is the bad baggage space.

Happy 125 ing!

CargoOne
26th Feb 2009, 22:45
LSU Tiger

How many hours you flying annually?
If you looking on charter vs own jet from purely economical point of view, you should fly a lot to justify own aircraft.
Ofcourse own aircraft have some advantages, but it is not cheaper really and if you also quantify amount of headache involved (even if someone is managing this aircraft for you) may be you will change your mind...

Itswindyout
27th Feb 2009, 02:26
the 700 is still an under-rated aircraft, not many bells and whistles. But they all cost money.

Only consideration for me, in addition to those well listed above: radio modifications, FM etc, etc, and RVSM, and TCAS EGPWS. All the mandatory mods. Power by the hour is essential too.

Lastly is the target an A or B. I am assuming A series. Already answered, thanks.

IMHO do not go the charter route, yours will be the last airframe that they will sell on, as the profit on hawker hours is much smaller than Glf etc, etc.

Good luck, and many happy hours flying.

Flyer2008
27th Feb 2009, 06:49
itswindyout

I think its going to be a A model if LSU Tiger buys ! Looks like he is US based so the A model is the only version that will go on the American register. Back when these were built the A model was aimed at the US Market and the B at the rest of the world.

Converting a B to an A is within the realms of possibility and we have done in the past with a few 800's.