PDA

View Full Version : The Voice of Elstree has gone...

boris
2nd Jan 2002, 15:47
Geoff Warne, the never-to-be-forgotten Voice of Elstree has died.
Many professional pilots will have come into contact with him over the last 35 years or so, particularly those of us who had anything to do with EGTE, as I seem to remember it was then.
His cremation will take place at the West Herts Crematorium, High Elms Lane, Garston, on the 9th. January at 1.20 pm.
Rest in Peace Geoffrey.

mfds
2nd Jan 2002, 21:53
I always landed at Elstree with a smile after hearing his unique 'style and voice' on ATC !

He really was very refreshingly different to the 'normal' type of ATC people and will be very sadly missed.

[ 02 January 2002: Message edited by: mfds ]</p>

drizzle
3rd Jan 2002, 00:13
Very sad. He was aways helpful, always on the ball and always a little different. Very sad

fmgs
3rd Jan 2002, 00:18
I'm very saddened by the passing of "The Screaming Skull".

Geoffery was always there when we needed him, and, if one took the time to get to know him a little, a helpful soul of the old school.

RIP, old friend, and thanks.

G.Khan
3rd Jan 2002, 02:16
In the mid seventies Geoff had the nick name of "Negative R/T" when Elstree was a lot less busy than now but as FMGS has said, get to know him and what a friend he could be. Of course, if any one was in trouble his R/T came thick and fast and always helpful.
Rest in peace Geoff.

PaulDGriggs
3rd Jan 2002, 03:06
Have taken aircraft into Elstree on several occasions and was always amused by the way Mr.Warne commanded the R/T, butI always felt assured and confident in his aerodrome control, one of many characters to be found on airports. The local residents could always be assured of peace as any departing pilot was well informed of the noise abatement information.
I will always remember landing on 08 and using about 655m of the available 656m and being greated by "sorry the wind seems to be westerly now!! would you like 26 for departure!!"
Thanks & R.I.P.

bluskis
3rd Jan 2002, 03:21
I have fond memories of Elstree in the sixties and seventies, and the voice of Geoff was certainly one of the unforgettable features of that airfield.
I think the reassuring voice of his slightly overweight but unflappable collegue, was it Pete?, who died some years ago and the snap or bark of Geoff will ring in my ears as long as I may still aviate.
Was it Geoff or another who has been the subject of lengthy critism in another thread of late??

boris
3rd Jan 2002, 17:42
bluskis,
Yes, it was Pete, Pete Woods who you remember. Pete had the misfortune to be killed by running into a skip on his way to (yet) another funeral! I am sure that he would have seen something amusing in that, although I'm bu@@ered if I can.
My own thoughts are of eternal blue skies in the days of Chippies and youthful optimism.