PDA

View Full Version : To Convert a C97 into a passenger B377 Stratocuiser

b377
25th Feb 2009, 10:08
We all know that not a single passenger B377 was preserved.:(

Why not convert a C97 to a B377 civilian standard - seats, interior cabin and bar ... in PanAm, United, NW or BOAC liveries ?

Can I get someone interested in this project? Has this idea ever been considered ?

Lets do it guys !

N.B. I've put this thread also in the Tech forum as it borders on Tech issues.

treadigraph
25th Feb 2009, 12:00
Great idea if it is practical - if so, NWA scheme please!

As I recall there was a genuine Stratocruiser at Davis Monthan or nearby into the 70s... scrapped? Shame, shame, shame...

I watched a Panamanian registered KC-97 rolling at Miami about twenty years ago - take off was abandoned after both outboards started streaming rather more white smoke than ususal! I was inside the terminal so couldn't hear those magnificent R4360s bellowing... :{

tonytech2
25th Feb 2009, 19:26
That probably was an Agro Air. When I was at EAL in Miami I drove over to their operation once to eyeball their Strats. The aircraft I saw was polished to a mirror finish. They were pulling an engine for some fault. They had rows of spare QEC in cans waiting to take its place. Easier to change than to do a big on-wing fix.

philbky
25th Feb 2009, 21:05
You'd need to cut a fair number of holes (after deciding if you want rectangular or round ones) in the fuselage to represent the various window layouts (a fascinating variety of options for an aircraft with such a limited production run).

This would probably have structural implications, then there would be the necessity to get rid of the military bits and pieces hung on the fuselage and, of course, there aren't that many C-97s going unloved these days which are in a reasonable state to convert.

Liffy 1M
25th Feb 2009, 21:28
In fact this idea has been aired before and it was rumoured at one time that aviation entrepreneur Clay Lacy was keen to convert a C-97 to at least represent a Stratocruiser - see discussion here:
Who bought H&Ps flyable KC 97? - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise (http://propliners.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6376074032/m/4551021162)

treadigraph
25th Feb 2009, 22:31
Agro Air that was they. Had three and lost one in Central America as I recall.

The Northwest scheme really was a beauty and on the Connies as well. I was definitely born a decade or two too late!

wileydog3
26th Feb 2009, 00:52
in the other thread I mentioned...

They tried to get these KC-97s registered with the FAA but they feds said NO WAY.. they were USAF birds and did not meet FAA requirements for pax airplanes. I heard they were then registered in Central America and the one that was lost was coming out of Mexico City with a load of horses.

Nice looking machines. Polished fuselages with dark blue tails.

My ops officer in KC-135s flew KC-97s. He told the story of being a new pilot on one with some old heads on a weekend cross country boond0ggle. They landed and waddled up to the ramp in front of base ops. There sat this sparkling T-33 that was used by the wing weenies for currency. The Base Commander came out and told my Ops officer and his crew to get that piece of **** off the base ops ramp and move it to the transient ramp, some distance away. The crew explained, to no avail, they were there only for one night. MOVE IT... so they did. Cranked up, went rich on the engines and reportedly turned so they could spray the -33. When they slowly taxied away, the -33 was dripping with oil.

Don't know if it was true but makes for a helluva good story.

b377
26th Feb 2009, 08:58
Well even if I wasn't the first to dream-up this idea I wish the Lacy enterprise every success if it is still going ahead. I did think of painted windows and other features to keep things simple. Perhaps just one or two pax windows? Not sure about obtaining a real 377 cockpit & instruments.

Botttom line is that even a museum grade exhibit of a Stratocuiser in airline livery would be better than just photographs.

One side UAL the other Pan AM or NW ? No bun fights over this one please. :ok: