PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways Walkin Interviews for Qualified Pilots @ Singapore (2 to 6 Mar 09)

Potatoe
25th Feb 2009, 01:21
Had asked mod to move the thread to middle east.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/363348-qatar-looking-qualified-pilots-singapore.html

expat400
25th Feb 2009, 06:44
And why should it be moved?

It was probably posted in order to give pilots in SINGAPORE a heads up on the interview session, not as discussion point among the pilots in Middle East.

Capt Krunch
25th Feb 2009, 07:52
expat400

if thats the case then why ask questions about the subject on the wrong forum ?
it was not just news.. there was a valid Q&A going on that can better answered on the proper forum.
it is not a place to solicit adds and the like, as I'm sure you realize, so I believe your point is mute.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

expat400
26th Feb 2009, 00:36
Hi Krunch

My point was that if you want to give pilots in Singapore a heads up on the session it's best to post it on the SEA forum.

However, I of course agree that questions regarding the job itself is best put forward on this forum. I have read a lot of fine posts from you regarding QA and I look forward to more of it!

See you later this year?

Capt Krunch
26th Feb 2009, 04:44
expat400

Thank you mate.

I'm just trying to keep some of the less informed, informed to the best of my knowledge.
By QA standards I'm quite senior ( most other airlines, that would not be the case) so I feel I can give a small contribution, for what its worth.

I'm not one to moan and complain, although I do get my knickers in a knot once in a while, but thats just the nature of the beast.
I try to be factual with my opinions and information, most of the time :confused:
we all know that there is also allot of guessing games going on around here.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch

KRUGERFLAP
27th Feb 2009, 01:25
Why u still in QR?

SELF PUNISHMENT?

THIS PLACE IS THE PURGATORY ON EARTH.:yuk:

I can only understand that people stays in QR because they have loans to pay,or their nationalities do not allow them to fly elsewhere in the gulf,etc.

I CAN'T IMAGINE SOMEONE HAPPY ON THIS PLACE apart from QATARIS ,BECAUSE IT IS THEIR HOMELAND.

I MISS IN QATAR ONLY the friends i made.

skya320
27th Feb 2009, 06:18
Potatoe Thanks for the info. :ok:
It's not available on www.qatarairways.com (http://www.qatarairways.com)
I've already told some of my friends who need new job badly.

JungleJett
27th Feb 2009, 17:33
Kruger,

Why are you still in EVERY QR related thread??...Self punishment?....

alahaigaigai
27th Feb 2009, 18:22
Dear Kruegerflap,

I am a EU National and I have a JAR licence so I can fly almost anywhere.
I don't have any loans and I leave in company accomodation and I am not bonded, so I can leave today if I wanted to.

I am in QR since 2005 and I am staying here because my common sense and my long experience in aviation dictates so. I have worked for 29 years for a flag carrier and 1,5 years for a low cost in Europe. I have seen both sides of the coin and I am telling you that QR is not as bad as you and some others keep telling us. Of course is not the perfect airline but please show me one. Things in QR are improving but I must admitt very very slowly.

You are advising people to stay away of QR without perhaps thinikng that most of them are jobless or working for shaky airlines. Job security is something you can not measure and you cannot price. For your info 19 ex Singapore Airline pilots were just recruited. Are all of them useless or fool or unable to work for another airline apart from QR ? Of course not.

I can keep writing but I wont, please keep beeing happy in your new airline and let us leave in peace.

alahaigaigai
27th Feb 2009, 23:53
Regarding the B777 roster you can expect 2-3 LR flts (JFK or IAD) and 2-3 turn around flts (DXB BOM DEL KWI AUH). That is the situation as we speak. On March 30th The Huston flts are commencing and 777 flts to SIN are
introduced. Number of 777 as of today 6 and one more coming on the begining of March. Total number 13 by the end of 2009. So as more a/c arrive more flts will be allocated and more hours will be flown by us.
Commuting is out of the question. You can expect 4 block days off a month and a much awaited new rostering system that will allow bidding.
Pay with today's Flt hours (60 aprox) and leaving in company accomodation is 10500$ a month. On top you get about 13000$ for school fees and you also get medical insurance for your family (Allianz). Schools are a definite problem in Doha. Demand can not be satisfied.
I hope I shed some light. I wish you all the best.

Capt Krunch
28th Feb 2009, 01:26
I can agree with much of what alahaigaigai has to say. but
You can expect 4 block days off a month and a much awaited new rostering system that will allow bidding.

I've been hearing that story since 2002 and beyond.. it's just not going to happen here. we have a multi-million dollar system that most people don't know how to use properly and every time there is a management change ( average every year ) things are changed dramatically and not always for the better. ( normal for any airline really)
yes I will say that things have changed allot in a positive was since my arrival eons ago.. but far to slow as already mentioned.

and Bidding ??.. LOL.. thats like telling people there soon will be bases at outstations.. it's just NOT going to happen. we have to many megalomaniacs / control freaks here for anything like that to happen in this airline.

example.. these days the new policy is, new hires CANNOT have a choice of company accommodation or finding there own place to live. what makes anyone think there will let us choose where to fly... :rolleyes:

don't get me wrong,, I've been here a while and don't really mind it.. but then again.. I'm a bit ... well... Poisoned by the place I guess. ;)

Poisoned by compromise
Krunch

Potatoe
28th Feb 2009, 07:57
skya320,
Look at this link for their requirement: Flight Deck Crew Recruitment | Qatar Airways (http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/flightdeck-recruitment.html)

TCPILOT
28th Feb 2009, 09:45
Can anyone advise on what one is to expect at the walk in interview.

-What is the usual format
-What questions are likely to be asked (Behavioral and/or Technical)
-Will there be any excercises (group or individual): eg.flight planning/activities
-What will be required to be taken on the day
-How long will it take
-Will they give you an answer on the day if they would like you to attend for
sim session in Doha
-How many people are from the company at one time interviewing you
-Is this one way of making yourself known to the company to increase ones
chance in being recruited
-Are they only looking for Singaporean nationals to attend
-And are they only targeting for type-rated SQ crew.

Would appreciate any info, and look forward to any PM's.

Keep Smiling
Keep Flying !!!!!! :ok:

IXNAT
28th Feb 2009, 12:02
Thanks Gents for the replies. 10.5 per month while in accomodations is actually much better than what I hear EK starting DEC pay is. But again, thanks for the replies. It seems that whether it is EK,EY, QR, or Gulf, everyone seems to have some of the very same issues of quality of life, and an "excellent, caring and understanding" management.;) Ah, but is the sand better? That's the question.

Capt Krunch
1st Mar 2009, 03:52
SNAM

In short,, yes

tuan74
1st Mar 2009, 10:44
So bad luck for the F/Os with family... you will only get 2 rooms aptm to bunk in your wife and kids, coz as far as I know there is no more 3 rooms aptm available in Ein Khalid aka Gitmo..:ugh::ugh::ugh:

and you're NOT ALLOWED to rent elsewhere, where the rent for 3 rooms aptm would cost you almost the same as your housing allowance....:{:{

KRUGERFLAP
1st Mar 2009, 12:48
Dear Captain,

:yuk:Once again i will tell everyboy ,Qatar Airways is a Purgatory on Earth. Do you know guys that in the OM of Qatar is writing that you can't get labants ,peanuts or fresh orange juice? What is this? Do they think your are animals? Do you know that female ground staff must be in company accomodation by 2300(unless they were schedule to work) ,even in days off? That Cabin crew must ask permission to the CEO to get married? That they hold your salary for 3months when you resign(giving the 3 months notice) ,that most of the people(Pilots mostly) just jump ship,because resiging doing the right thing is a painfull process?

Cabin crew have cameras on the entrance of their accommodation to track when and with who they arrive in the building.

SO FACE IT! This company do not respect PILOTS, so please stop that 29 years experience @&#*(@&)*&:mad:

Singapore guys are coming (Qatar is coming to Singapore to get them) because there are no jobs.

alahaigaigai
1st Mar 2009, 23:12
The 13000$ are per year and 10500$ is tax free

des1
3rd Mar 2009, 12:22
Any info on what one can expect on this day? Anyone who has been there already?

Thanks....

soarer78
4th Mar 2009, 01:28
Cant anyone shed some light on what to expect on the walk in interviews??

KRUGERFLAP
4th Mar 2009, 05:07
Like someone said before. Just bring a vaseline pot put on the table and u will be fine.

Straith foward bro,just dont mess it up.They need pilots because even with the crisis they are still losing pilots.

CAPT LABAN
4th Mar 2009, 06:48
You are entering an airline which in middle of world economy downturn in last 2 months had over 12 resignations of F/O and some Capt .
Wander why ? Come and see how they treat you how they make your roster how long it take to change from A320 to A330 or 777 how long you need to become Capt . Even in this days there is options and a good one .

QR UNITED 2009
4th Mar 2009, 16:35
CP A320 dont have time to release his senior pilots as he is busy with other important things .
CP A330 is also busy with bringing friends from India DEC 330 so no time to bother with A320 pilots beeing transfered to A330 .
CP B777 is also busy always with friend from 9 floor
CP Training busy also with own problems .
CP A300 ( sorry we dont have that one any more he got B777 )
CP recruitment busy going around a world brining DEC to 777 and 330why should he care about A320 pilots
All mangement pilots got A330 and A340 to be secure in future but they didnt do much for A320 pilots .
In QR to be SENIOR pilot is less respectful then junior one.
THANK YOU smart guys

boeingdream787
5th Mar 2009, 03:27
Hey all,
A couple of my friends went for the QR interview and I believe that there were a whole lot of pilots from INDIA to take the interviews in Sin.Wonder why that may be.A lot from Jet and Kingfisher!! :confused: . Also quite a few Typerated Capts from SQ who(i assume)were laid off due to downturn.Any idea as to the outcome of this exercise of QR...
Is the team still in Sin.And are they still conducting interviews.Cause,by what I heard they didn't seem to be very serious whilst during the exercise.....more as if they were hiring for the future.
Input welcome.

Mack Number
5th Mar 2009, 08:12
The recruitment team is there until tomorrow. Many SIA pilots have been there already this week, including myself. After a briefing and tech quiz, an interview with 2 of the recruiters. They are slotting people in for future tentative course dates right up to the end of the year, even as they are slotting you in for the simulator evaluation in Doha. Btw, they are very polite and welcoming.

Some of pilots are type rated on the B777 already, including many of the guys that are Australian based who are getting "laid off" in April, and some other B777 guys Singapore based whose contracts expire this year. On my day there were also B747 and A340-500 guys, some of whom already have been told their contracts won't be renewed.

Lots of the 747 guys have contracts running into next year or the year after, but they aren't gonna sit on the fence and watch the train leave the station. I'd guess most of the guys were 15,000 hr ++ pilots or more with loads of wide-body heavy international flying.

Qatar's gain is Singapore's loss. Just for interest sake, a B777 on a training flight with a second officer as PF had a runway excursion landing on 02L two days ago. They put one of the bogies into the infield, smashing a few runway edge lights and damaging tires. Oh well, that's for another thread I guess.:ugh:

Che Xindamail
6th Mar 2009, 05:44
Interview day:

Airline and country presentation by the Chief pilot for recruitment. This included the entire package, salary, housing etc. A tech quiz of about 30 questions, nothing type specific, but rather of a general flying nature, not too bad. Fill in the formal application form and have a coffee before the interview itself, conducted by an A330 and a B777 Captain. Background? Why would you choose QR? Why would QR choose you? Will you bring the family? When can you do the sim check? How soon can you join? Any questions?

All in, a straight forward day, very relaxed and friendly.

If you join you will live in company housing. A villa for captains and a flat for F/Os.

Che

Phantom Driver
6th Mar 2009, 15:13
A tech quiz of about 30 questions, nothing type specific, but rather of a general flying nature

50 questions, and you better know your stuff; pass mark 70%. Fail the tech and thats it for another 6 months. You don't even get to be interviewed. They're not looking for just any old body. Having said that, agree with the rest of the post; a professional and well presented roadshow.

khnzore
6th Mar 2009, 19:17
What is the best way to prepare for this quiz? Can anyone recommend a specific book, or study material?
Thanx

coversyl
7th Mar 2009, 07:46
the 50 questions were two different sets , does anyone remember those,
it would be a help for the others . thanks

zonnair
7th Mar 2009, 15:14
Pretty pathetic only to mention the restriction. Cope with the fact that airlines have regulations. At least they provide plenty of jobs.

So guys lets just stay reasonable. Remember.... Nobody forces you to write something on these threads, so at least pretent that you have better things to do with your life.

zonnair

AboveTheRuin
7th Mar 2009, 16:07
As khnzore asked:

"What is the best way to prepare for this quiz? Can anyone recommend a specific book, or study material?"

Any recommendations for study material or Questons that you may remember would be appreciated:ok:

Cheers,
ATR:cool:

4PW's
9th Mar 2009, 23:57
You have to be kidding, right?

I don't expect anyone's about to help me pass the test.

Don't you have your old books or notes?

NOVMO
10th Mar 2009, 16:25
Try this book... covers many definitions....

Ace the Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow (Paperback - April 22, 2002)

you can get it from AMAZON.COM

AboveTheRuin
10th Mar 2009, 19:43
:ok:Thanks, I ordered that book...and it just arrived. Looks like it gives a good overview and will act as a great refresher.
Cheers,
ATR.

tfo
11th Mar 2009, 22:32
I am trying to apply through QR website but no luck...It doesn't show any openings available when I sign in,or when I do a jobsearch.

Am I doing something wrong or is their website down?

Any replies are appreciated.

TFO

long-gonner
13th Mar 2009, 01:16
tfo-

I had the same problem in late November. QR opens the job window for certain positions when they need that seat/aircraft to be filled. It's all about timing.

coversyl
13th Mar 2009, 06:45
you can search ATPL in wikipedia ,most of them are there.

tfo
13th Mar 2009, 19:07
Thank you, it makes perfect sense then.
I will be checking their website often for any openings.

TFO

Che Xindamail
26th Mar 2009, 14:05
Gents,

I did the Singapore interview and then went to Doha for the sim. I was told everything was very good.
Since then....the sound of silence....no reply to my email query.
Has anybody else gone through the motions?
How long before they send out results?
Regardless of an offer or not, it would be nice to know.

Best of luck to all job seekers out there.

ArkPilot
26th Mar 2009, 14:16
Che,

When was your sim eval. Pls PM me.

jaspero
27th Mar 2009, 17:07
I,ve applied on line and heard nothing, are they only taking type rated people?