View Full Version : Tragic accident takes the life of Tony Gard (Cadfael).

Phil Kemp
16th Feb 2001, 10:12
A couple of days ago, I received an e-mail from Tony's wife Susan, that Tony was tragically killed in a helicopter accident on the 18th January 2001, in Western Australia.

I never knew Tony personally, but ran in to him in PPRuNe chat, where we caught up on the hundreds of mutual friends we shared.

Tony's name here on PPRuNe was Cadfael and I am sure many people here will recognise the name - if not the person.

Sincere condolences to his wife and family.

redsnail
16th Feb 2001, 11:46
I didn't know Tony Gard either except through chat.
I found him to be a thoroughly nice bloke on chat and I am sure he would have been in the outside world too.
My sincerest condolences to his wife, family and friends. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

McD
17th Feb 2001, 02:40
How terribly sad to hear about Cadfael. I also only knew him through Chat, but he always seemed like a very decent chap.

Phil, will you please let his family know of the condolences being expressed from his fellow PPRuNers?

JudyTTexas
17th Feb 2001, 02:54
I am absolutley saddened by this news of Cadfael. His sense of humor in PPRuNe chat was unforgettable.

My heartfelt condolences to his wife and family whom he always spoke highly of.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Velvet
17th Feb 2001, 04:46
Tony / Cadfael will be sadly missed. He was one of the good guys. My condolences to his wife and family.

Caddy, where ever you are honey - last hugs from a saddened friend

rnobson
17th Feb 2001, 05:01
What sad news He will be missed here Condolences to his family

Jetdriver
17th Feb 2001, 05:04
Every time I ever chatted with Tony on PPRuNe his sharp wit and humour always had me laughing and never failed to bring a smile to my face.

I am deeply sorry for the loss that Tony's family must be feeling at this time. I shall miss his cheerful demeanour as will many of his friends.

In selecting the message icon I initially selected the sad face, but the truth is I only ever remember one expression when chatting with Cad' and that is why I selected the smile.

TOGA_Party
17th Feb 2001, 05:36
I'm stunned.

I know he will be sorely missed by all who had the chance to smile at his wit and humour,as I and many others did in "chat".

I only knew him from a few words that appeared on a my computer screen;he was clearly one of the good guys.

For those people who loved him as a husband,son,nephew and all the relationships that enrichen our lives:to you my sincere sympathies.

10W
17th Feb 2001, 23:43
Not been in Chat for a while, but I would echo everyone elses tributes to Cadfael.

A great sense of humour and decency. he will be missed by us all.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends at this sad and tragic time.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

Phil Kemp
20th Feb 2001, 19:47
I found this story on Rotorhub, tells a little more about Tony.

Tony and I first came in contact a few years ago, when he was looking for a mutual friend on another site. After renewing this acquaintance, we stayed in contact via e-mail and here at PPRuNe.

Last year, Tony was firefighting in Canada for Alpine Helicopters, before returning to Australia where he was contract flying offshore for Bristow. Amongst other mutual friends we shared were a number of people from his flying in Africa with Canadian Helicopters. I thought this story might be of interest to those who ran into Tony, and might be interested in who he was.

Killed WA helicopter pilot was UN peacekeeper

A pilot who died with another man when their helicopter crashed north-east of Perth yesterday was highly-experienced and had flown in United Nations peacekeeping missions.

Anthony Gard, 48, and a Western Power linesman died, while another Western Power worker, Brian Smith, received minor injuries, when their aircraft crashed and exploded yesterday.

The accident happened near the Wheatbelt town of Bencubbin, 272 kilometres north-east of Perth, as the crew checked powerlines following recent storms.

Police and Western Power officials today described Mr Smith as a "miracle" survivor, as he underwent surgery in a Perth hospital for burns and leg injuries.

He remains in a stable condition tonight.

He was thrown clear of the helicopter before it burst into flames, receiving help after a passing shire worker saw the fire and alerted emergency workers.

Police today confirmed Anthony Gard was flying the helicopter, as colleagues of the pilot spoke of his more than 20 years experience flying helicopters in five countries, including as a UN peacekeeper in Mozambique.

Preston Helicopter Services, which owned the helicopter, said Mr Gard had flown UN peacekeepers between war-affected African villages in the early 1990s.

He also had worked in Scotland, often flying through snow and rain to take North Sea workers to oil rigs, and in Canada and Norway, flying for forestry and dangerous fire-control operations.

Preston company director Joanne Firth said she would remember Mr Gard as a warm man who generously shared his knowledge and experience with others.

"He was an incredible story-teller. He did some things at the very high end of the spectrum," Ms Firth said.

"He was very sought after around the world."

Mr Gard leaves a wife, Susan, an adult daughter, Samantha, and a teenaged son, Christopher.

Police said aviation officials were investigating the cause of the accident but it appeared the chopper had clipped powerlines before crashing to the ground and bursting into flames.

"We're surmising, but it's fairly obvious that there's been a collision with the aircraft and the powerline, and the aircraft has disintegrated on impact," said Wheatbelt District police inspector George Putland.

"The aviation gas on the hot metal has ignited and the helicopter was pretty well destroyed," he said.

Crash survivor Brian Smith was exceptionally lucky, said Insp Putland.

"It's a miracle he survived. He would have to count himself as a very lucky man.

"It's a tragedy that two men didn't survive, but it's a miracle that he did."

Peter Winner, a spokesman for the government-owned utility Western Power, said: "Everyone feels bloody awful today."

Mr Winner said Western Power had helicopters in the air for a week to check damage to power systems after recent storm activity knocked out some power supplies.

The utility has been using choppers for almost a decade to ensure faster inspections of powerlines.

After identifying faults, aerial crews direct ground crews to sites to be repaired. Using ground crews only would take weeks.

Western Power workers at the Northam and Koorda depots were mourning the deaths of their colleague and the pilot today and were not at work.