PDA

View Full Version : Menzies @ STN

ground_star
24th Feb 2009, 17:56
Looks like Menzies operations @ STN are going to be up soon. Quite a few vehicles (Bradshaws, Tugs etc) & baggage trailers delivered today...

GRIZZLER
24th Feb 2009, 21:15
i have heard that menzies take over the easyjet contract from midnight saturday....ready or not......should be interesting.

jap1
25th Feb 2009, 11:36
Does anyone know the contact details for menzies at stn please? Having trouble finding them..ta

GRIZZLER
25th Feb 2009, 12:19
if you go to enterprise house at stn...ask the security man on the desk..he will tell you which office they are in...second floor i think.......or give enterprise house a ring.

student88
25th Feb 2009, 12:53
Am I right in thinking that the majority of positions were filled by the ex-Swissport crew who were given the boot?

OpsSix
26th Feb 2009, 06:34
Yep I believe so. A load of us from Menzies LCY were interviewed for positions and not one of us got in. Why we had to be interviewed and sit tests for jobs we already do is beyond me but there you go. Good luck to those of you at Menzies.... you'll need it!

Northern Hero
26th Feb 2009, 19:51
Jap1,
A bit of advice from first hand experience. Only touch Menzies if you are absolutely desperate. I've over 20 years in this game and this lot were an absolute shambles of an outfit. I was offered the world to join them but in reality they were disorganised, badly run, cut corners to the point of their ops being dangerous and will bow and scrape to Easyjet. Could'nt wait to leave. Harsh but true.

TUGNBAR
26th Feb 2009, 20:19
Menzies are no different to any other handling agent, they all operate exactly the same these days.
same s**t different uniform

ground_star
26th Feb 2009, 20:29
Menzies are on 2nd Floor @ Enterprise House yes!

Ring them yourself 01279 662 521

As a regular pax on STN - BFS route as well as a staffer, will be interesting to see what happens...

student88
26th Feb 2009, 23:26
OpsSix - couldn't you apply for anything with KGS at LCY?

OpsSix
27th Feb 2009, 07:00
A few of us did at the end of last year but we believe all available KGS Dispatch positions were filled internally as we didn't hear anything.
We'll all be CityJet staff come Sunday anyway.

tigger2k8
27th Feb 2009, 08:15
sorry northern hero, but care to explain how that description is any different than any other handling firm? every station varies.. for example:

like yesterday i witnessed servisair meeting a jet2 aircraft that needed a GPU on arrival, instead of waiting for the GPU to go in, i watched 4 members of staff cut dangerous corners... 1 put the tow bar on (if i might add, the bar went on before the bypass pin was inserted), 2 placed cones around the aircraft (thankfully they avoided engine 1...) and another was pulling backsteps in while engine 1 was still running and the anti collision lights still on..

menzies and aviance dont do that here, but im sure theres been incidents at other stations..

anyway... i wish everyone at STN the best of luck for the takeover..

TUGNBAR
28th Feb 2009, 07:29
menzies and aviance dont do that here..

Yeah...ok!

tigger2k8
28th Feb 2009, 09:43
note the word "here" as in the station i was referring to, and note the fact i also stated "but im sure they have done so at other stations"

:hmm:

rememberbannockburn
1st Mar 2009, 11:41
what excactly do people mean when they say that menzies cut corners, i have worked for menzies for several years and can assure u everything is done to properly, in fact menzies have several procedures in place that other handling companies could do with introducing. really annoys me when u see the effort everyone puts in day to day for someone to say we cut corners, bull****. this thread is just the same as the bristol one when menzies were starting up there full of bitter people slagging them off. get a grip.

tigger2k8
1st Mar 2009, 22:45
^ same here, i work for menzies..., and theres no corners cut...

i think its down to different stations and people working for other handling firms who feel threatened with Menzies success in the relatively short time..

any news on how it went today? All STN-BFS flights were on-time as far as im aware

jaycee10
2nd Mar 2009, 20:06
Please let me know where you can get these rose tinted glasses. Menzies cut corners the same as all other ground handlers, particularly when there are staff shortages, you only have to watch the turn rounds and talk to the crews to know this.

spirit of the age
7th Mar 2009, 21:27
oh dear, after all the 'promises' that everyone would keep their shift patterns,it has now emerged that everyone will be going over to 6 and 3.No arguements--if you dont like it you know where the door is.......................................................... .....

tigger2k8
7th Mar 2009, 23:16
what were the shift patterns before?

gotta love menzies attitude about dont like it then leave, which is just right but harsh:}

Capt Wannabe
8th Mar 2009, 14:06
what were the shift patterns before?

Ramp - Mainly 5/3
Pax - Mainly 4/2 with a few 4/4 and some other bits
Dispatch - 5/3

However, in addition to this there are a considerable number of staff who appear to choose the shifts they work..... If Menzies are to make a go of things then quite rightly they need to sort it out and have a stable roster pattern.

flojo13
8th Mar 2009, 19:11
Shift Patterns.
A lot of people unemployed in the Aviation Industry would jump at the chance of any shift pattern:ok:

GRIZZLER
9th Mar 2009, 15:06
so what are you trying to say then flojo 13 .......just muck every body about because there are loads of people that will do the job and the hours if you dont want them.....companys are not the only ones that are struggling to keep there heads above water...so are familys....the recession that we are in now has turned companys into big bullys....take wage cuts and reduced hours....or else....it might as well be work place bullying.....and they get away with it.

when i go into tescos or sainsburys they want my money...they dont give me a cut because i have not been paid enough or had my hours changed.

GRIZZLE GRIZZLE GRIZZLE.

flojo13
9th Mar 2009, 16:25
Shift Patterns.
Grizzler you are luckly you can afford to go to Sainsburys and Tesco,try budgeting that is what the companies are doing trying to keep people in work, it must be a real hardship having your hours changed at least you have some hours to change. (unlike 2 million unemployed)
There were always going to changes when Menzies took over they have to make a profit and give a good service in order to keep the contract and keep people employed.
:ugh:Bullying get in the real world,ask all employees at the car companies on short time and having to put with pay cuts what they think.

Dropline
9th Mar 2009, 16:49
A shift change can effectively be a pay cut. For example, going from 4 on 4 off to 6 on 3 off incurrs extra travelling time and costs and reduces the amount of rest days, which increases things like childcare costs. It can also mean a reduction in shift pay.

sat1
9th Mar 2009, 20:38
Wonder if Flojo is in management???? Still its good to know that the company is thinking of its employees...the same ones it told it would close the operation down,to, if it didnt make money.somebody he tawk wiv forked tounge!!!!

tigger2k8
9th Mar 2009, 22:06
stop moaning about shift patterns, and be thankful you have a job in ground handling in these times of flight cuts and airlines failing..... sorry if that sounds harsh, but its true

GRIZZLER
10th Mar 2009, 13:57
i already spend three hours a day doing a 110mile round trip to do eleven hours work...yes i know it is my choice.....and i am not the only one doing that sort of mileage to work at stansted airport.....every body does not live next to the airport ....they can only change the shift patterns so much and it will be impossible to get home sleep and get back....so what does that achieve...tiredness at work , loss of job due to not enough hours in the day......more people at the jobcentre......thanks for you spiffing advice flojo and tigger

GRIZZLER
10th Mar 2009, 15:59
car companies on short hours.....they have been there own worst enemy for years....strike at the drop of a hat......how many airports have been shut for weeks on end due to strikes...not many that i know...maybe the odd hiccup here and there ,but thats all..............they get what they deserve.

jap1
10th Mar 2009, 16:29
Can see both points of view here,and both opinions are correct,its just that your view obviously differs according to what situation you're in.
No doubt grizzler would look back if he lost his job and couldnt get another,with a different attitude and be quite prepared to accept the different shift pattern...but hes not in that position right now and well within his rights not to want his shifts changed....All a matter of perspective:)

flojo13
10th Mar 2009, 17:32
Shift Patterns
jap 1 and Grizzler

I would not wish for anyone to become unemployed but with an attitude like yours Grizzler you may well get what you deserve.:=
Everybody in country knows someone affected by unemployment,pay cuts and changes to work patterns etc, but Grizzler wants to carry on as normal im alright jack attitude everyone else can struggle but not me.
I think once you pay a few visits to Jobcentre Plus you will think the shift pattern changes were not that bad i hope you never find out.:ok:

GRIZZLER
10th Mar 2009, 19:38
yes you are correct there....im all right jack...look after number one, as nobody else will....charity begins at home and all that.....nobody has given me anything, i have worked bloody hard for what i have for many years.......i am not the one that has got this country in the mess its in......but it looks like they want me to pay for it........i dont work for menzies,but know some that do....i wish them all the best.

i know nobody is safe at the moment...including myself...i shall try to keep what i have got for as long as possible.

at my company at the moment there are rumblings about losing hours or men,when that happens you will be the first to know.
:ok:

sat1
10th Mar 2009, 19:40
In other words Grizzler, keep quite,take a pay cut, go onto short hours,grovel to the powers that be,accept 6 and 1,infact just roll over,just so long as you keep your job.....................I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!!!!

GRIZZLER
10th Mar 2009, 20:07
bloody hell sat1......time i have done that lot i would be better off down the jobcentre, as it wont be worth keeping.

mole man
25th Mar 2009, 15:24
Hi All

Any jobs going at STN I have been made redundent so any ramp/despatch job would do.

Many thanks

Mole Man:ugh:

moleerie
25th Mar 2009, 18:58
For all of you who pofess to know something about shift pattens, stop talking through your rear ends. Just do the math, if you were working in an office, you would work a 5on/2off pattern which means you work 71% of the year. A 6on/3off =66% and 4on/4off=50%. The number of staff on a rota also determins the pattern as a common denominator must be used to accomplish the pattern eg. 9heads can run on 6on/3off or 5on/4off or 4on/5off. A set pattern is usually something a company implements as a way of helping staf as the most effective cover is still any 5 from 7.
Ergo, 8 staff on 4on/4 off means only 50% utilisation but same number of staff on 5 on/3off gives more heads on duty on any 1 day.
top moaning about patterns unless your safety is compromised through quick turnrounds etc as if you are working in the dispatch/ops areas, you only work 30% of the shift anyway but tell everyone you are pulled out. t must be hard drinkinjg all that tea and chatting up hosties all day, every day??? I'd bullet the lot of you anyway. Dont forget, you are only failed crew so don't think you are any better than your bag throwing, cleaning or check-in colleagues as in the end, they ae all still needed at the airport to get an aircraft away where dispatch/Load control can be completed by any one of the above or even the flight deck thmselves as more and more GHA's and carriers are discovering

castell
29th Mar 2009, 19:16
You mean Aviance. Servisair do not do Jet2:*

spirit of the age
30th Mar 2009, 09:17
looks as though they wont be doing thomas cook either.

GRIZZLER
30th Mar 2009, 14:25
moleerie..... you might be s**t hot with roster patterns, but i think you should look at your spelling.....or was it you that wrote the script for officer crabtree in allo allo.

i do 4on 4off....others that i work with do 4 on 2 off....we all work a 38 hour week.......so we all do the same amount of hours in the year.the only thing that is different ,i get about 4 days less holiday then they do.

carpe jugulum
11th Apr 2009, 14:58
I think it's good to finally have a company who's management is willing to admit it's shortcomings, to the point that it advertisers the fact on all it's uniform. Managerial Organization Requires Serious Examination.

freightdoggy dog
13th Apr 2009, 09:45
Castell...I think Tigger means Servisair in EDI,BRS or BFS..they have the Jet2 contracts there.

Aviance deffo in STN

flaps five
24th Apr 2009, 17:57
Menzies really are a shambles. The took over the Easyjet contract from
Servisair at BRS at the beginning of the year and I have it from extremely reliable sources that in 3 months they have transformed BRS. Yes, from Easyjet's best performing station to their worst. Quite a feat for any firm don't you agree. Easyjet will probably learn the hard way that it is better to have someone sensible at the helm rather than just the accountants.